PDA

View Full Version : Discus that pepper?

navydiscus
01-01-2013, 04:59 PM
Im in the process of figuring out how i want to set up my aquarium. I really like the look of a black background, however i know that it will cause a peppering of some strains of discus primarily the lighter colored strains. Could someone give me a better idea on what strains will pepper and what wont. Also if you get mature adult discus, and place them in a black background will they pepper if they werent before?

Eddie
01-01-2013, 05:10 PM
Peppering is ONLY in pigeon blood type discus. Other fish can/will get dark depending on the substrate. If you have a light colored bottom, you can have a black background and the fish won't show dark and pigeons will have minimal pepper. Also, quality pigeons bloods are super clean so they won't show a lot of pepper.

Kal-El
Any kind of pigeon blood strain will pepper with a black or dark background.

Poco
Pigeonblood will pepper depending on their genetics. Quality PB have been bred to produce clean fish. If you really like the black background have you considered wild or wild types domestics (Santarem, Alenquer etc)

navydiscus
01-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Cool. I'm a huge fan of eruptions, diamonds, and turqs so hopefully i'll be in good shape. Plan on painting a black background, and a light tan bare bottom. with an occasional potted sword, driftwood, and river rock or two. Thanks for the quick reply guys

Eddie
01-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Cool. I'm a huge fan of eruptions, diamonds, and turqs so hopefully i'll be in good shape. Plan on painting a black background, and a light tan bare bottom. with an occasional potted sword, driftwood, and river rock or two. Thanks for the quick reply guys

They'll show fine. ;)