PDA

View Full Version : Empty quarantine tank?

JonC
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM
What do you guys do with your quarantine tank when not in use?
My QT (a 25 gallon) has some little guys in it and is being used as a first stage grow out tank at the moment. I set up a small 10 gallon for a sick tank, and that’s what the 25 will become when the little ones move out. The 10 gallon has a sponge filter running and the heater off. My thinking was to keep the heater off being it would only take a couple minutes to do a WC to bring the water to the correct temperature and turn the heater on. Like I said the 10 is just a back up and this will be my plan for the 25. Does anyone see a problem with this, or what do you do? Thanks..

Trier20
01-02-2013, 02:26 PM
What do you guys do with your quarantine tank when not in use?
My QT (a 25 gallon) has some little guys in it and is being used as a first stage grow out tank at the moment. I set up a small 10 gallon for a sick tank, and that’s what the 25 will become when the little ones move out. The 10 gallon has a sponge filter running and the heater off. My thinking was to keep the heater off being it would only take a couple minutes to do a WC to bring the water to the correct temperature and turn the heater on. Like I said the 10 is just a back up and this will be my plan for the 25. Does anyone see a problem with this, or what do you do? Thanks..

I would move sponge to a running tank and just empty that tank out and clean it really well. That way your sponge stays up and running. Without any fish in the tank the benificial bacteria would die off.

JonC
01-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Without any fish in the tank the benificial bacteria would die off.

I wasn’t aware of that, keeping the sponge cycled was the only reason I was keeping it running. Thanks..

Eddie
01-02-2013, 05:43 PM
You can add ammonia to the empty tank to keep the bio alive.

Poco
01-02-2013, 08:13 PM
You can add ammonia to the empty tank to keep the bio alive.

+1

Only use pure ammonia without any scents or detergents.

Bill63SG
01-02-2013, 09:34 PM
Shut the tank down and freeze the sponge.When you need it,it will defrost in the water in 10min.

sandy
01-03-2013, 01:30 AM
Shut the tank down and freeze the sponge.When you need it,it will defrost in the water in 10min.

Nice idea

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

JonC
01-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Great stuff everyone. Thanks..