PDA

View Full Version : ro with float set up

rorie87
01-03-2013, 05:31 AM
I have just set up my new RO system with float, but it is not working properly. I contacted the seller who thought maybe the 4 way valve wasnt working, so i got a new one. It still doesnt work.

When the float activates, the flow stops, but the water to the drain keeps going!

Any ideas

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=12878&title=Screen_Shot_2013-01-03_at_092419c.png

darcy
01-03-2013, 09:41 AM
So what you saying is the RO still works but is ALL going to Drain? Has to be hooked up wrong or backwards. Is it plumbed directly to your tank for top off?

timmy82
01-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Sounds like it is plumbed up wrong. Mine has 20ltrs worth of storage tank and when you use it the unit begins to cycle and will continue till tanks are full again which takes a while. The ro unit will produce more discharged waste than clean ro water.

nickfish39
01-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Your waste water line needs to be the one connected to the pressure switch, not the post membrane line. I will take a picture of my set-up and post it.

nickfish39
01-03-2013, 10:21 AM
Wow, forget my post :embarassed:I was thinking of my booster pump pressure shut off! I am sorry for that. Have you tried switching the unit upside-down?

Brent1972
01-03-2013, 10:42 AM
I have just set up my new RO system with float, but it is not working properly. I contacted the seller who thought maybe the 4 way valve wasnt working, so i got a new one. It still doesnt work.

When the float activates, the flow stops, but the water to the drain keeps going!

Any ideas

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/pHosting.php?do=show&type=f&id=12878&title=Screen_Shot_2013-01-03_at_092419c.png

By the sound of it you have not got a non-return valve on the product water line, If you add the non-return valve to product line as it comes out of membrane then up to 4-way valve this should cure the problem.

Trevor W
01-03-2013, 11:41 AM
Perhaps this video may help with your issue. In short it basically says that if you have just a float valve it will only shut the "product" water line off and water from the "waste" water line will still flow, therefore you need to install a "auto shut-off" valve. Basically the exact same thing that Brent has stated with different terminology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssa6njb5nV4

Brent1972
01-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Perhaps this video may help with your issue. In short it basically says that if you have just a float valve it will only shut the "product" water line off and water from the "waste" water line will still flow, therefore you need to install a "auto shut-off" valve. Basically the exact same thing that Brent has stated with different terminology.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssa6njb5nV4

Sorry from the uk Lol

rorie87
01-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Thanks for the replies. Not sure everybody realised there was a photo there of my exact set up?
I thought the video would give me the 'erika' moment, but unfortunately that is exactly how my system is set up. I do not have a valve as shown in the video, but instead i have a 90 degree non-return which comes directly from the RO unit. I tried replacing this too but with no change.

I did wonder if i had the drain and produced water mixed up, but it appears to be correct as the 'drain' line has a constant flow where as the 'produced' is a dripping output.

I dont understaand what is wrong! Tried replcing the 4-way and the non-return.

Any more ideas?!

darcy
01-03-2013, 03:29 PM
Is the input and output of the RO unit itself connected right? Just throwing things out there...........................

rorie87
01-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Is the input and output of the RO unit itself connected right? Just throwing things out there...........................

Yeh they are correct.

Any other suggestions as to what is wrong?!

Trevor W
01-05-2013, 12:37 AM
hmmm, what about the input and output lines going to and from the "auto shut off" valve? Could it be that the valve is installed incorrectly therefore not allowing the back pressure to close the valve properly?

rorie87
01-05-2013, 05:55 PM
SO, i was given two non return elbows. neither did the trick. I have since purchased a non return valve (just a normal one) and put it in place, and now it works!

Thanks for the help :)