PDA

View Full Version : Ageing water..

JonC
01-03-2013, 11:24 AM
I’ve been thinking about ageing water and not sure how I could go about it. My wife likes our 110 in the living room, and she tolerates the Grow out tank and the QT in the spare bedroom. That said, a 50 gallon barrel in the house would be a stretch. That leaves the garage. I’m not sure even here in Texas that two heaters could keep 50 gallons of water at 83 degrees in winter. Anyone have any ideas?..

Dogvet06
01-03-2013, 11:53 AM
With a 110 u probably need 2 barrels :( there are ways to insulate the outside of barrels that will help hold the temp. U can wrap the barrels with insulating foam and I think it should keep temp. I keep my two barrels inside in a spare room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent1972
01-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I wrap my barrel with hot water cylinder Jackets but any insulation would do.

Poco
01-03-2013, 12:42 PM
With a 110 u probably need 2 barrels :( there are ways to insulate the outside of barrels that will help hold the temp. U can wrap the barrels with insulating foam and I think it should keep temp. I keep my two barrels inside in a spare room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

If you can't keep them inside insulating them will surely help. You can sit them on styrofoam and wrap it with insulation.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-03-2013, 01:35 PM
There is an insulation foam used for wrapping pipes that has a foil like on the outside and about a 1/2 inch think. I think BillG63 used something similar on his tanks?

But consider what your electric costs will be heating them in the garage in the winter and the constant running of the heaters might cause them to wear out sooner.

SMB2
01-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I have not researched it but I have often wondered if there is an in-line hot water heater that could be set as low as 85 degrees. Like a gas tankless hot water heater. Then depending on the location of the garage you might be able to plumb a spicket under a sink etc and fill the tank directly by hose from your storage tank. Seems like some smart aquariast would come up with something.

Tazalanche
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
I have not researched it but I have often wondered if there is an in-line hot water heater that could be set as low as 85 degrees. Like a gas tankless hot water heater. Then depending on the location of the garage you might be able to plumb a spicket under a sink etc and fill the tank directly by hose from your storage tank. Seems like some smart aquariast would come up with something.This was the first hit I found when searching for a tankless water heater that could be set as low as 80 degrees F, so it is possible.
http://www.amazon.com/Eccotemp-L5-Portable-Tankless-Outdoor/dp/B000TXOJQ4

I then checked out Home Depot & most of the ones I looked at had a temperature range of 86-140 degrees F.

SMB2
01-03-2013, 08:13 PM
$100, that's just a couple of heaters! And propane would be cheaper on the electricity, if the house already has a line. Seems like one possible solution.

Bill63SG
01-03-2013, 09:41 PM
There is an insulation foam used for wrapping pipes that has a foil like on the outside and about a 1/2 inch think. I think BillG63 used something similar on his tanks?

But consider what your electric costs will be heating them in the garage in the winter and the constant running of the heaters might cause them to wear out sooner.

It's call Reflectix.Got it at Menards.

a volar
01-03-2013, 10:21 PM
It's call Reflectix.Got it at Menards.

also home depot sell reflectix

TNT77
01-03-2013, 10:51 PM
I have not researched it but I have often wondered if there is an in-line hot water heater that could be set as low as 85 degrees. Like a gas tankless hot water heater. Then depending on the location of the garage you might be able to plumb a spicket under a sink etc and fill the tank directly by hose from your storage tank. Seems like some smart aquariast would come up with something.
http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l555/tbennett77/Fishroom/PICT0182.jpg

SMB2
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
TNT
Yup, I have one for our house hot water, but is yours dedicated just to a water change system? Not sure if my tankless can be set as low as 80/85 degrees.

There is some sediment and mineralization created by the contacts in the heating elements of most tankless heaters, and an outflow hot water filter is recommended on most units.
http://www.pelicanwater.com/post_sediment_filter_systems.php

TNT77
01-03-2013, 11:10 PM
TNT
Yup, I have one for our house hot water, but is yours dedicated just to a water change system? Not sure if my tankless can be set as low as 80/85 degrees.

There is some sediment and mineralization created by the contacts in the heating elements of most tankless heaters, and an outflow hot water filter is recommended on most units.
http://www.pelicanwater.com/post_sediment_filter_systems.php
Yes this is it pulls from a storage tank. It does go down to 86 but I found when setting the temp that low it dramatically decreased the flow so I added a mixing valve. Also added bypass valves that changes the water input from the storage tank to city water so it can be used for the rest of the building.

SMB2
01-03-2013, 11:33 PM
Well that would certainly be a nice set up for the OP.

JonC
01-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Well that would certainly be a nice set up for the OP.

Yes it would. Thanks for the input..

Cocobid
01-05-2013, 02:33 AM
In one of our stores we have a tiny tank-less water heater in the bathroom. It runs on electricity and would probably be perfect for your needs. All this one does is deliver water to wash hands with and it is perfect. I will see if I can get the name of it. I'm here in FW also and we are having just to cool of a winter to even try to heat in the garage with an aquarium heater. Karen

Cocobid
01-05-2013, 02:42 AM
In one of our stores we have a tiny tank-less water heater in the bathroom. It runs on electricity and would probably be perfect for your needs. All this one does is deliver water to wash hands with and it is perfect. I will see if I can get the name of it. I'm here in FW also and we are having just to cool of a winter to even try to heat in the garage with an aquarium heater. Karen

This MIGHT be it but without looking not sure?? http://www.e-tankless.com/stiebel-eltron-mini-3-tankless.php