PDA

View Full Version : Bully Discus Guarding Food

jjgunshot
01-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Hey Guys and Gals,

My situation:

Got 8 Discus total, 3 in qt 5 in main tank. I put the three in the qt to try and feed them but they arent responding well. I feed my fish mainly on freeze dried black worms (Ive tried to get them on beefheart to no prevail) Anyway not the point... Initially when I put the FDBW in the tank they swarm it but after about 1 min they all swim away then ONE discus guards the food and nips at all the other ones when they try to go for it. Ive tried placing two pieces of food at each side of the tank but that didnt seem to work out so well. Also tried all for sides but that makes an aweful mess.

The 3 in the qt arent responding well to the food and hiding all the time. I dont know what else to do with them but Im wondering if I should put them back in the main tank or give away the 3...Put the bully in qt for a week for discipline?

Any advice...?

Eddie
01-03-2013, 02:27 PM
You can move the bully out and try feeding in 2 different places but another bully will arise, its the discus facts of life.

sheaspina
01-03-2013, 04:59 PM
eventually they will figure out that 1 can get to the food while he's chasing the other, and eventually he'll figure out that chasing is not eating. Just give them time, when they're hungry enough they'll work it out.

0Dgreen
01-03-2013, 06:05 PM
i've had luck with handfeeding when this situation occurs

ashtricks
01-03-2013, 06:22 PM
I stick two cubes on opposite ends of my tank. The bully cant guard both the cubes at the same time. All my guys end up getting fed well.