PDA

View Full Version : Want to design and build Tank cabinets

hillbillyamber
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM
I have an idea and was wondering if anyone else has done this. it would be similar to a checkout counter at a LFS with the tank underneith.
my inlaws got us a flat screen tv and I hate the idea of wires hanging down from the wall. I also don't want it in a big cabinet because that takes up too much precious wall space that a tank could go on! LOL SO I had an idea of building a cabinet that I could put the tv on and under the tv in the cabinet was the fish tank.SO I get a tank and Tv stand at the same time. Anybody ever build such a thing? I was originally wanting to lift up a top , but then I would have to move the TV way too much. So a side door would have to be my option. Any ideas? I would have to enclose the lights, filter etc. I am thinking a 90 gallon would suit my idea well But really whatever I find on Craigslist for cheapest is what I will use! LOL

DiscusLoverJeff
01-04-2013, 11:08 AM
A friend of mine is in the process of designing the same thing you are looking for.

He has a 110 gallon 5' long tank and is going to build out the stand as if it was a part of the existing wall he has his TV mounted to. He will build a small stand to house all the plumbing and wires and frame in the tank. He will have 3 doors in front for access.

If you can do this off a wall, all you need is treated 2x4's to prevent warping and some drywall.

I will check with him if he has started and maybe supply some pictures to give you an idea.