PDA

View Full Version : Different strains of Discus... can someone explain?

Spencer
01-04-2013, 11:45 PM
Hello all.... I am planning on getting a couple of fish next week. I have been looking at the different strains available now.
I have tried to do some searches to find the answers without posting, but couldnt seem to find what I am looking for.
First, Forrest Giant Blues.... does anyone know what kind of blues these are?
Are carnation turks, and carnation snakeskins red turquoise ?
All these different names are overwelming to me since I am rather new this go round with discus.
What are Altum Floras?
I just dont want to end up with a tank full of all blue or red turks etc, since I dont really know what all these strains are.

Thanks for any help.

Eddie
01-05-2013, 12:02 AM
Most of these answers can be answered by Kenny or Forrest directly.
First, Forrest Giant Blues.... does anyone know what kind of blues these are? They look like Blue Turquoise but they carry the giant gene so they will grow extra large. I'd confirm with Forrest/Kenny.
Are carnation turks, and carnation snakeskins red turquoise ? Carnation turqs are a red turq variety. A snakeskin in general is not a turq but could have the same red base as a red turq but with fine line patterns. They could be from the same spawn too.
All these different names are overwelming to me since I am rather new this go round with discus. There are hundreds of names out there. lol
What are Altum Floras? A refined/improved blue turquoise.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?59599-Introducing-Altum-Flora&highlight=Altum+Flora
I just dont want to end up with a tank full of all blue or red turks etc, since I dont really know what all these strains are. Contact the sponsors directly, they are very helpful in answering questions. ;)

cjr8420
01-05-2013, 12:45 AM
forrest giant blues are blue mutts u can get turqs, colbalts, SSs, scorps,or a mix of any of these and like eddie said they can get big
carnation turq is a red/blue turq but its pattern will thin out as it grows a carnation SS is the same just the SS version 14 bars and finer pattern
altum flora is a highbody brilliant turq see eddies link
dont get hung up on what its called cause if u search the net hard enough u will find pics of the same fish with 10 different names there is not much conformity between breeders and what they call their fish. new exciting names for the same old fish makes for better sales and most names are not even actual strains.buy what u like and dont worry about the name.whats wrong with a tank full of red or blue turqs they can look awesome.and if ur looking for bragging rights on how cool ur fish are compared to most others then get show fish or fish from high end breeders.wayne ng or alex piwows seem to be good for name dropping lol hth

Eddie
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
if ur looking for bragging rights on how cool ur fish are compared to most others then get show fish or fish from high end breeders.wayne ng or alex piwows seem to be good for name dropping lol hth

LMAO

Spencer
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the info. I have corresponded with Kenny by email and phone recently. These was a few more questions I had...
I probally questioned him to death allready, thought it would be easier to ask here.
I am not really concerned with the "name brands" as I am really wanting to know what the colors will be with they reach adults.
I agree a tank full of the same color is really nice, with me being new again to the hobby I want to start out with a mixture of colors.

Elliots
01-06-2013, 02:16 PM
There are many names and color varieties of Discus. People do not always agree on what is what. I think it is best to actually see the fish you are buying in person. If not, photos are second choice. All the sponsors on SD are reliable but there can be a difference of opinion on color varieties. You do not list where you are located. I suggest you visit the closest sponsor or sponsors and buy all you fish at once from one source.
I drove 175 miles to Hans. Well worth the drive and I am very happy with Hans and my fish. I cannot actually compare him to any other SD sponsors because I have not visited any others.
Please post your location on your "Post Heading". That might be of help now and in the future.