PDA

View Full Version : Is a Gold Nugget Pleco a bad choice in a Discus only tank?

SoCalDiscus.com
01-06-2013, 03:08 AM
I want to add a Gold Nugget Pleco to my Discus tank and of course the Bushy nose pleco is the one that is typically pushed for not bothering the Discus at all or being attracted to the slime coating from the sides of their bodies but I was wondering if anyone has tried or has the Gold Nugget Pleco and how it's working out / worked out? I simply like the look of a gold nugget over a bushy nose and it would be my choice if I knew it wouldn't bother my Discus?

From what I've been told the Gold Nugget dines primarily on algae and aged wood for it's digestive tract. As for Discus slime, I have no idea?

Experienced oppinions?

josephl
01-06-2013, 02:57 PM
I have had one in my tank that has grown from 11/2 inches to about 6". Never seen it bother the discus

navydiscus
01-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Still pretty new here, but one thing I've noticed in the past was the gn plecos are very lethargic. They will hang out on the bottom nook or back of a piece of driftwood the majority of the day, and tend to be slightly more fragile than a bn pleco. I know the bn aren't that much to look at, but they will get the job done.

lane mechtel
01-07-2013, 11:24 AM
Still pretty new here, but one thing I've noticed in the past was the gn plecos are very lethargic. They will hang out on the bottom nook or back of a piece of driftwood the majority of the day, and tend to be slightly more fragile than a bn pleco. I know the bn aren't that much to look at, but they will get the job done.

+ 1