PDA

View Full Version : Eggs look like cue ball

rdub
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
I have a pigeon blood pair that has been laying weekly for some time. 99% of the eggs would fungus and die. It was suggested on this forum to apply Methylene Blue to the eggs about an hour after the pair was finished. I did that this time and at about 48 hours the eggs looked like a cue ball with a growing black dot in the center. No fuzz/hair on the eggs though this time.

I have had a few wrigglers before so this pair is at least partly fertile.

Would love to get a batch of eggs to hatch. Any other suggestions?

PP_GBR
01-07-2013, 03:40 PM
Congrats. What's your tank temp? Keep it @ 86 F. The black dots indicate cell division. You'll see wrigglers soon.

rdub
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
It is about 84.6 now. Unable to get it above that.

PP_GBR
01-07-2013, 03:50 PM
You should post your question in breeding section. You'll get more help/answers there. Honestly, I do not have experience in breeding discus but with my german blue rams. If I do not keep the temp @ 86 F, they hatched then they died off on me before freeswimmers.

Larry Bugg
01-07-2013, 04:07 PM
86 is too warm for them. I keep all my adults at 82 and when I want to stimulate breeding I will drop it even lower. Same with my GBR.

PP_GBR
01-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Hi Larry,

It's good to know.

I keep all my tanks @ 86F, discus or non-discus. Maybe because I live in the New England. I hatch the GBR eggs artifically and rear them. Whenever I see the female GBR breeding tube drops and she is cleaning her spawn site, I do the wc with cooler temp to induce spawning.