PDA

View Full Version : RO without storage

rdub
01-07-2013, 04:41 PM
How can I get RO water without the storage tanks? I have an apartment that barely has room for my daughter and I. Any other solutions?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-07-2013, 04:56 PM
You can go to your local fish store (LFS) and get RO by the gallon. But after awhile, that can get expensive at $1.00 a gallon.

rdub
01-07-2013, 06:09 PM
Do all RO units require a waste water line? What do you do if you live in a small upstairs apartment?

yim11
01-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Do all RO units require a waste water line? What do you do if you live in a small upstairs apartment?

I never seen one that didnt have a waste line, I've plummed the waste line directly into the drain pipes on a sink.

Bill63SG
01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
I never seen one that didnt have a waste line, I've plummed the waste line directly into the drain pipes on a sink.

The one I just purchased came with its own adapter just for that.

ausuriello2nd
01-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Hi Rdub, here's a possible solution to lack of storage of room. Ebay sales 5 gallon collapsible water storge bags in sets of 5 bags each bag, holds 5 gallons of water. If you have an ro unit fill the bags and run airstones in each bag to help areted the water. When finished collapise the bags and store away until they are for the next time. Beleive they don't take up very much space, put into a nearly flat box and store under your bed. I used these when first resetting my fishroom and didn't have all the floor space needed for storage barrels, so decided until I got everything setup the way I wanted these would work just fine for me...Hope this suggestions..Good Luck, Al..Al from Omaha

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 03:21 PM
I do not aerate pure RO water. As long as your RO water is consistant, the need for aeration is pointless. In fact it can drive your ph up higher than expected and you would not get a consistant reading each time. You would then have to buffer the water even more to bring the ph back down for discus. I use RO Right to my 100% RO water to get my TDS stable. Although some new light have been shed on using RO Right and I will try other additives to get my TDS reading where I want it.

If your RO water is stored with very little or no light at all you should not see much fluctuation (as long as you have a small pump for water movement and heated).