PDA

View Full Version : Tankmates at Discus temp

Elliots
01-08-2013, 08:55 AM
I read on SD that tankmates do not do well at Discus temps. What exactly does that mean? Do they not grow, not breed, not live as long as they normally would? I have a shoal of Gold (Brass) Tetras, what should I expect, my tank is at 85 degrees?

Skip
01-08-2013, 10:17 AM
they die from heat.. is the common reason

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM
I have a school of Cardinal Tetras in with my discus at 84/85 degrees and they are doing well. I also have cories and plecos and German Blue Rams. Some fish can adapt, but some will gradually die off from the heat.

It is better to do your homework before purchasing any companions. You can google warm water fish and compatibility with discus.

Elliots
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
How soon do they die off? It is hard to count the Gold(Brass) Tetras I just bough because they are about as active as Zebra Danios and I have 21 of these fish. Mine are still small. The largest is less than one inch.
I have Cardinals, Rasbora, Rummy Nose and Silver Hatchets also. I know, I have a large bioload but it makes my tank more interesting to view. I have to get a camera to post photos.

moon_knight1971
01-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I tend to buy fish that are from the same waters so there's not a big issue with temp or compatiblity.