PDA

View Full Version : Converting my 125g

jabuc
01-08-2013, 02:03 PM
Hello all!

I am looking to convert my 125g Central/South american tank into a Discus tank setup and would really appreciate all the help and advice I can get! I've been keep cichlids for 15 years, but i've never ventured into a Discus tank before. Here is what I currently have, and what I am thinking about doing. Please advise

*125g non-drilled tank
* 2 x Rena Filstar xp3 canisters
* Pool filter sand
* driftwood and Rock

So I am thinking of taking everying out of the tank, breaking it down completely, and give it a really good cleaning

Here is how I am thinking of setting it up: Please advise
* Bare bottom no subsrtate
* driftwood (maybe some potted plants)
* 2 x Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters one on each side
* 1 x AC 110 filter set in the middle

What media should I use in the AC? I've read that I shouldn't use carbon, so thinking I'll just use Biomax and sponge media.

Now as far as fish, I know 125g is a big tank, should I just look for adult fish? Or could I get meduim sized disus?

Thanks!

discus6628
01-08-2013, 02:18 PM
I would suggest 2 AC 110 filter. Kensfish.com has it on sale now with one year free media. It is a great deal.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the Discus Side.

No reason to stop using the Rena filters, just use the filter pads in the bottom basket, the cermaic rings in the middle (or can swap out for the bio-stars but I think the rings will hold more bacteria) and polishing pads in the top basket.

This would give you plenty of biological filtration. The sponge filters are fine as well. No need for the AC 100 in my opinon.

A light sand base or bare bottom is fine. driftwood is always a good thing.

Good luck.

jabuc
01-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Welcome to the Discus Side.

No reason to stop using the Rena filters, just use the filter pads in the bottom basket, the cermaic rings in the middle (or can swap out for the bio-stars but I think the rings will hold more bacteria) and polishing pads in the top basket.

This would give you plenty of biological filtration. The sponge filters are fine as well. No need for the AC 100 in my opinon.

A light sand base or bare bottom is fine. driftwood is always a good thing.

Good luck.

You're right I think I will keep the xp3s, my only concern is they put out a pretty strong current in the tank, not sure if that will be good, or maybe just go to one and add the Hydro-Sponge Pro Filters?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 02:39 PM
You can always add spray bars so they spray the surface of the water?

jabuc
01-08-2013, 02:43 PM
You can always add spray bars so they spray the surface of the water?

Yeah they have them now and its still pretty strong...might be able to find a way to adjust it. Would add the sponge filters with air stones as well?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Yes the sponge filters in each corner would be beneficial. How much water are you planning on changing per week?

But note that if you buy discus under say 4", you will need more frequent water changes for that big tank. You may want to consider adults.

jabuc
01-08-2013, 03:38 PM
Yes the sponge filters in each corner would be beneficial. How much water are you planning on changing per week?

But note that if you buy discus under say 4", you will need more frequent water changes for that big tank. You may want to consider adults.

Yes, i was thinking adults for sure, maybe 6 or 8?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-08-2013, 03:45 PM
That would be a good start. There are some very good suppliers here on the forum in the sponsers section.

Good luck and lots of pictures.

Herbicidal
01-08-2013, 04:35 PM
jabuc: Good luck with your project! :thumbsup:

You can always add spray bars so they spray the surface of the water? I have a spray bar in the upper right hand side of my tank that sprays at the surface from right to left from a Rena XP4. This creates a nice gentle current that rotates counter-clockwise from the top of the tank to the left end and back along the bottom towards the right side. I've have the holes angled slightly up from horizontal to agitate the waters surface.

Here's a pic from when I was setting up my tank, no water in it yet. The little black hole is the return from a Rena XP3:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=7500&pictureid=4683

Here's a top down view that shows what's behind my background and how I routed the hoses and the spray bar is right at the bottom of the picture:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=7500&pictureid=4685

Bill63SG
01-08-2013, 07:01 PM
Yeah they have them now and its still pretty strong...might be able to find a way to adjust it. Would add the sponge filters with air stones as well?

Ac110 is also pretty powerful.If you go that route,one would be enough.77277Thats a pic of my 135 with the water down to the tops of the sponges.

MKD
01-08-2013, 07:14 PM
You haven't mentioned your tank background color. I notice most Central/South american tank is black. If so, make sure your discus goes well with it.

jabuc
01-08-2013, 09:27 PM
jabuc: Good luck with your project! :thumbsup:

I have a spray bar in the upper right hand side of my tank that sprays at the surface from right to left from a Rena XP4. This creates a nice gentle current that rotates counter-clockwise from the top of the tank to the left end and back along the bottom towards the right side. I've have the holes angled slightly up from horizontal to agitate the waters surface.

Here's a pic from when I was setting up my tank, no water in it yet. The little black hole is the return from a Rena XP3:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=7500&pictureid=4683

Here's a top down view that shows what's behind my background and how I routed the hoses and the spray bar is right at the bottom of the picture:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=7500&pictureid=4685

This is a really great idea!! I think I might go ahead and use my xp3s I will just have to angle the spray bar so it flows in a counter clock wise motion like you did

I'll be posting a lot of pictures as I go along!

Thanks for the support!!

jabuc
01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
You haven't mentioned your tank background color. I notice most Central/South american tank is black. If so, make sure your discus goes well with it.

Yes I do have a black background, what colors should I stay away from getting??

jabuc
01-08-2013, 09:30 PM
That would be a good start. There are some very good suppliers here on the forum in the sponsers section.

Good luck and lots of pictures.

I am looking at Florida Discus now, they are only about an hour from my house, Marion seems really nice and helpful

Bill63SG
01-09-2013, 07:00 AM
Yes I do have a black background, what colors should I stay away from getting??

Well,black.It will darken your discus,one of the ways you can tell if they're getting sick,and can help cause peppering in pb's.Some use it with no problems.My bb tanks are either some shade of blue I got from Home Depot,or white,and my display is one of those 3d backgrounds,brownish.Dark substrate can have the same affect.

jabuc
01-09-2013, 09:07 AM
Well,black.It will darken your discus,one of the ways you can tell if they're getting sick,and can help cause peppering in pb's.Some use it with no problems.My bb tanks are either some shade of blue I got from Home Depot,or white,and my display is one of those 3d backgrounds,brownish.Dark substrate can have the same affect.

So my black background will darken my discus?? This isn't good because its painted on, no changing it

Disgirl
01-09-2013, 09:47 AM
A sharp razor blade will take paint off glass quite easily.
Barb

Herbicidal
01-09-2013, 11:19 AM
This is a really great idea!! I think I might go ahead and use my xp3s I will just have to angle the spray bar so it flows in a counter clock wise motion like you did

I'll be posting a lot of pictures as I go along!

Thanks for the support!!Welcome! Looking forward to your pictures. BTW, the counter-clockwise rotation gently blows the....errrr.....fish poop to the lower right hand side (basically under the spray bar) so it's real easy to siphon that out as needed. Turned out to be an added benefit of that spray bar location. ;)

Bill63SG
01-09-2013, 06:10 PM
So my black background will darken my discus?? This isn't good because its painted on, no changing it

+1 to the razor blade.In the future if you paint,use latex.it adhears ok,being behind a tank dosent subject it to a lot of traffic,and comes off very easy.You could probably strip the back of you tank in 20mins or less.

jabuc
01-09-2013, 09:38 PM
What should I pant it with once stripped??

Also how many 4"+ discus should I get? Or should I get small ones and put a divider in the tank?

MKD
01-09-2013, 10:30 PM
You can repaint it with light color or clear. Personally I like blue collor. as far as how many discus, if money is not tight, ill go 12.

sandy
01-09-2013, 11:46 PM
Light blue is nice and get big 4" discus 8 to 12 they will be nice

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

jabuc
01-10-2013, 12:13 AM
I'll be starting the break down soon! I am keeping the 2 xp3s, I am just going to get clean them really good and get new hoses and spray bars etc.,

I'll be posting pics along the way!!

Thank you everyone for your support!

sandy
01-10-2013, 12:41 AM
Best of luck will be waiting for your pic

jabuc
01-11-2013, 08:35 AM
So what blue paint should I use? Should I paint the bottom as well since I am keeping it bare?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2013, 09:18 AM
I used a color called Costa Rica Blue and Cyan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

If going bare bottom you can paint that to match the sides of white. You can use a krylon paint or acrylic flat latex. After scrapping the glass, wipe it down with alcohol and let dry. Then you can spray or use a small roller. Some paints you may need 2 coats.

jabuc
01-11-2013, 09:59 AM
I used a color called Costa Rica Blue and Cyan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Shades_of_blue

If going bare bottom you can paint that to match the sides of white. You can use a krylon paint or acrylic flat latex. After scrapping the glass, wipe it down with alcohol and let dry. Then you can spray or use a small roller. Some paints you may need 2 coats.

Thanks! So you paint your sides and bottom white?

On a different note I am thinking about going away from my old xp3 canister filters...They need a lot of maintence and are a pain to take care of IMO. Should I just do foam filters and a AC 100? What woud you guys suggest for good filtration?

DiscusLoverJeff
01-11-2013, 10:21 AM
When you say your canister needs a lot of maintence, what do you mean? New media? New impeller? New hoses?

You can get new media, impeller for under $30.00. I personally would stick with the XP3. better bio load control, you can put a spray bar on it to adjust the flow (mine do not have one and fish are fine with it).

Here is a good tip either way you go, put a pre-filter sponge on the intakes of your XP3 or your AC110. This helps keep your media from getting so dirty faster. All you do is remove the sponge at every water change, rinse in aquarium water and put it back on, total time, 2 minutes.

I painted by sides and back and bottom same color. You can paint your sides and back one color and bottom a different like white if you like. The options are endless.

Good luck.

sandy
01-11-2013, 10:36 AM
I did the same blue colour side and back and white on bottom

jabuc
01-11-2013, 11:28 AM
I did the same blue colour side and back and white on bottom

Could you post a pic when you get a chance? I would to see how this looks with the sides painted

Thanks!

jabuc
01-11-2013, 11:46 AM
When you say your canister needs a lot of maintence, what do you mean? New media? New impeller? New hoses?

You can get new media, impeller for under $30.00. I personally would stick with the XP3. better bio load control, you can put a spray bar on it to adjust the flow (mine do not have one and fish are fine with it).

Here is a good tip either way you go, put a pre-filter sponge on the intakes of your XP3 or your AC110. This helps keep your media from getting so dirty faster. All you do is remove the sponge at every water change, rinse in aquarium water and put it back on, total time, 2 minutes.

I painted by sides and back and bottom same color. You can paint your sides and back one color and bottom a different like white if you like. The options are endless.

Good luck.

I need new hoses, spray bars, suction cups stuff like that. I have 2 xp3s one on each side of the tank with the spray bars pointing towards the middle and at the surface. Maybe I'll just keep them and use the pre-filter sponge

I am looking forward to having the bare bottom, I want to be free from substrate : )

jabuc
01-19-2013, 01:55 PM
I am thinking of cleaning the 125g out and selling it and getting a 75 gallon. This would be way easier for water changes and I wouldn't have to redo the paint

What do you all think of a 75g idea?

Bill63SG
01-19-2013, 02:46 PM
Unatural to the hobby,to go from a bigger tank to a smaller.Small to big,few to more.That is the natural proggresion.

jabuc
01-19-2013, 03:51 PM
I realize the natural progression but I am talking pure water volume and I'd rather do 50% water change on a 75g then a 125g

Either way I am going bare bottom