PDA

View Full Version : A few questions regarding Ph Buffers.

Jeff O
01-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Hi all,
I have read a few posts on here about people thinking about trying ph buffers. I used to have the luxury of having soft tap water and I was able to breed without messing with my water. The water in the house I currently live in has very hard water so the eggs never make it. Ro filters are a bit expensive and they seem to "throw away" quit a bit of water. So here are my Question

1. Have you tried buffers? And do they Work?

2. Is there any minerals that need to be added back into the water?

3. Will the ph (after aging) stay consistent?

4. Would you recommend using them?

Thanks!
-Jeff

cjr8420
01-13-2013, 12:49 AM
just get RO its not about ph as much as it is tds.hth

darcy
01-13-2013, 08:03 AM
I'd say go with RO as well. Those PH buffers are a PITA. With hard water your PH will go back up in no time. You'll have alot less trouble mixing your tap with RO.

Dubiadiscus
01-17-2013, 03:32 AM
Hi all,
I have read a few posts on here about people thinking about trying ph buffers. I used to have the luxury of having soft tap water and I was able to breed without messing with my water. The water in the house I currently live in has very hard water so the eggs never make it. Ro filters are a bit expensive and they seem to "throw away" quit a bit of water. So here are my Question

1. Have you tried buffers? And do they Work?

2. Is there any minerals that need to be added back into the water?

3. Will the ph (after aging) stay consistent?

4. Would you recommend using them?

Thanks!
-Jeff

Hi jeff I use buffers but I did finally find one that will hold my ph. I used the discus buffer powered stuff before and hate it. My local fish shop had someone who was making a liquid form and it is very stably. When I get home I will get you the name of it and see if you can get it. The one I was using the guy called it quits but he gave the recipe to another who took it over.

Poco
01-17-2013, 03:44 AM
You can also use food grade phosphoric acid and age water for 24hrs.