PDA

View Full Version : A solution for micro-bubbles for those who cannot age their total water volume

lipadj46
01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
The water around here is very soft (GH=1-2, KH=0-1) pH =7 with no pH swing, in the summer I can do 95% water changes without aging water. In the winter though the water is harsh on fish due to micro-bubbles from the highly saturated cold water. So in the winter I age my water, but I only have room for 1 small barrel (a 32 gallon Brute garbage can) so I cannot age the entire tank volume of 75 gallons. My solution is to age the 32 gallons and while I am pumping into the tank I simultaneously fill the barrel with tap water and run an airstone on full blast to agitate the water. My pump pumps faster than my sink's water flow so I do have to stop and let the sink catch up. Doing this totally eliminates the micro-bubbles and the fish are not bothered at all. Even just filling the barrel first then pumping the water from the barrel will eliminate microbubbles.

This method may not work for those whose water has large pH swing but for others who have water similar to mine and can only age a small amount of water this method may work for them.

Sandy Clay
01-14-2013, 02:02 PM
I cannot age the water either. I have found that if I turn the water down real low it helps too. It takes a lot longer to fill the tank, but, it is worth it.

YSS
01-14-2013, 02:14 PM
I cannot age the water either. I have found that if I turn the water down real low it helps too. It takes a lot longer to fill the tank, but, it is worth it.

It takes me over one hour to fill my tank in the winter.

SMB2
01-14-2013, 03:00 PM
but I only have room for 1 small barrel (a 32 gallon Brute garbage can)

Just curious, if you have room for one, you can store two or more. They stack inside each other. That's how I WC my 90 and can do 30-60-90% changes. I do age the water in the cans right in front of the tank wich is not to far from a sink.

lipadj46
01-14-2013, 04:36 PM
They don't stack when full of water, I don't have room for more than 1 (1 fits in the pantry), tank is in the kitchen, wife does not want barrels of water in the kitchen.

a volar
01-14-2013, 04:41 PM
you can use a small filter sock at the end of water hose to remove micro bubbles.

SMB2
01-15-2013, 04:05 PM
They don't stack when full of water

Well that's certainly true:D

oldfar
01-15-2013, 04:44 PM
you can use a small filter sock at the end of water hose to remove micro bubbles.I gotta try this thanks.

Dubiadiscus
01-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Just another thought you can also fill. Couple 5 gallon bucket and then us a mixer machine like the one youe wife might us to mix cake batters. By beating the water likw that will help remove the gas bubbles before you poue ir into the tank. I have done this during water changes befoew I setup my ageing barrel and I had no problems.

yim11
01-16-2013, 02:28 AM
you can use a small filter sock at the end of water hose to remove micro bubbles.

I tried this tonight on a tank and it worked! Great tip!

Thank you!

YSS
01-16-2013, 12:44 PM
I tried this tonight on a tank and it worked! Great tip!

Thank you!

I am excited about this too! Will try tonight and report back.

Sandy Clay
01-16-2013, 01:19 PM
What "is" a filter sock? Sorry, not sure what you are talking about.

2wheelsx2
01-16-2013, 01:31 PM
You can also use a garden hose nozzle on a shower pattern, splashing against the glass, to degas the water. Once you get to the level where you cannot do this above the water line, use the aged water to top up. I do this all the time, although I don't use the nozzle, I just point the hose at a big stump in the tank and let it splash away, since our winters are very mild so the gas content of the water is not hugely different than summer.

Platylover
01-16-2013, 03:27 PM
Filter sock

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/17/tahasajy.jpg

YSS
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Filter sock

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/01/17/tahasajy.jpg

I was just going to put a regular sock at the end of the hose. :)

a volar
01-16-2013, 06:12 PM
I was just going to put a regular sock at the end of the hose. :)

LOL

Sandy Clay
01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
Thanks!

YSS
01-18-2013, 07:37 PM
LOL

But a regular sock would work, right?

2wheelsx2
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
Cheese cloth tied to the end of the hose would work too.

a volar
01-18-2013, 10:30 PM

I have never try it, but may be....... the filter sock works because is a low micron fiber, like 50 or 100 microns, but regular socks have biger little holes.......... let me know if you try it :)

YSS
01-21-2013, 01:02 PM

So, I tried with a thick cotton sock. It did not completely remove the micro bubbles, but it did a pretty good job. There were a few bubbles towards the end, but nothing major and my fish seemed a lot less stressed. I am using the sock everytime going forward. :)

yim11
01-21-2013, 01:04 PM
So, I tried with a thick cotton sock. It did not completely remove the micro bubbles, but it did a pretty good job. There were a few bubbles towards the end, but nothing major and my fish seemed a lot less stressed. I am using the sock everytime going forward. :)

I tried with a wash cloth and had similar results as you, cheese cloth worked well.

kreekree
01-21-2013, 08:17 PM
I'm going to do the sick thing too. What's the reason behind the micro bubbles? I get way more in the winter as well? More air in the pipes?

2wheelsx2
01-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Lower water temperature = higher gas solubility.

moik
01-21-2013, 10:16 PM
Try everything you think will work..In the end you will still have to age the water to minimize PH swing and eliminate the Co2...You can only catch a small percentage of visable bubbles but still there is alot of dissolved Co2 still in the water.Seen topic of this thread reoccur over the years..

skie
01-29-2014, 01:38 PM
I need to know the best micron filter. I can't age water and need help

brewmaster15
01-29-2014, 01:53 PM
I need to know the best micron filter. I can't age water and need help

Drew, what are your water parameters, some people do not even need to age and aerate their water, everyones water is different. Additionally you can often get by the whole issue with smaller water changes more frequently. Take here at my place, I'll stress the fish seriously if I do 50-75% wc without aging and aerating... however.. My fish tolerate 30 % fine....I have alot of dissolved gases..co2 in my case.

A little more info would help.

-al

skie
01-29-2014, 04:30 PM
good question. ive just started out and im working on some monitors and such but my tap is 7.0-7.1 (says on my pinpoint ph monitor) and ive tested ammonia nitrates and nitrites. both ammonia and nitrates were 0. is a TDS monitor necessary?

Pardal
01-29-2014, 04:56 PM
good question. ive just started out and im working on some monitors and such but my tap is 7.0-7.1 (says on my pinpoint ph monitor) and ive tested ammonia nitrates and nitrites. both ammonia and nitrates were 0. is a TDS monitor necessary?

Yes you need a TDS monitor as a way to know your GH, KH . Ph along won't tell you how hard/soft is your water. You don't have to use a TDS meter necessarily though. You can get your water hardness through the traditional method of Test kit, color code. and through conductivity the old fashion micro-ohms method. neither to say the TDS meter is quicker and for that matter most popular.

skie
01-29-2014, 05:05 PM
any model that you suggest for a TDS meter. i was told that if ph out of tap was 7.0-7.1 it would naturally have soft water which is good. theres a conversion chart with a TDS monitor correct ?

2wheelsx2
01-29-2014, 05:14 PM
There is no direct relationship between pH and hardness. You can have soft water devoid of minerals which will make it neutral, or you can have extremely hard water which has lots of buffers to make it neutral.

brewmaster15
01-29-2014, 05:33 PM

Lets take this conversation back a notch:D

A simple test for if you should consider aging and aerating your water is to take a pH measurement right from the tap...then take a bucket of that same water from the tap... and add an airstone, airpump or agitator like a filter. Let that run 12-24 hours and then retake your pH reading from that bucket. If the difference is great, you are dealing with a gas such as CO2 that affects your pH.. example..
my well water is between 5.8 and 6.2 out of the tap (varies a bit depending on the time of year here) ... aged and aerated 24 hours and its pH 7.6-78 IN my case..its C02 thats dissolved in the water. The pH swing alone here is which is pretty significant, but the dissolved CO2 can be an issue for oxygen transport at the gills...and a stressor.

I don't think theres a discus that would have a problem with their owners aging and aerating the water for them for stability, but if its not needed, why do it.? In my case..I get by with small water changes.....big ones stress the fish.

there are other gases that cause microbubbles....but the test I outlined is quick and easy and can help you pin point if you may have a problem.

hth,
al

skie
01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
just a little confused finially. this tds is a handful. how does it read when you test it with a monitor. does it say "gh=_"kh=_" and what do you do about it after the fact like what to do to the water to make it better.

brewmaster15
01-30-2014, 09:01 AM
HI Drew,
A TDS meter reads TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS, it basically gives you a number that corresponds to what minerals are dissolved in your water. Generally the lower the number the less the dissolved minerals and the softer your water. I would suggest doing a search on the forum for "TDS Meter" theres many discussions. You may also find this interesting..
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?55228-Test-Equipment-and-Testing-Water-for-the-Freshwater-Aquarium

hth,
al
Its probably best if you start a new thread in the Water works section of the forum regarding understanding these parameters. it'll get a better response there.