PDA

View Full Version : Need some filter advice

senior el roboto
01-14-2013, 11:37 AM
I am setting up a new 55 gallon tank for my discus. I currently run a sponge filter and a fluval canister filter Bare bottom tank. So what I'm saying is right now I'm at a point to where I can drill my tank and add in a sump filtration. What do you recc and anything I need to know about a sump setup since I have never had one before.

ashtricks
01-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Google (or Bing..... dont want to offend anyone LOL ) BeanAnimal's overflow. If you want to drill, then that is by far the best design I have seen floating around.

zimmjeff
01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
I think you have all the filtration you need. Jeff

matt56
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM
I think you have all the filtration you need. Jeff

Agreed. I dont see the point in adding a sump to that when you should be moving them to a larger tank when they grow anyways. Id say keep the current filters and save your money for a larger tank setup.

Trier20
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM
IME sumps are a PITA when you're doing daily water changes.

discuspaul
01-14-2013, 02:03 PM
Agree with the above posts. A sump for a 55 gal tank is overkill, imo - not at all necessary, especially for a grow out discus tank, where you'll be doing large, frequent wcs.
Save your sump planning & execution for a much larger tank where it could be very useful for dealing with a heavier bio-load, keeping equipment out of sight, etc.

senior el roboto
01-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Ok the majority here thinks I should just keep things as is here. So I think I will.
Thank you everyone for your insight.