PDA

View Full Version : Still wont eat.

Eward
01-14-2013, 08:55 PM
This fish is making me crazy!
It has been about three weeks since I've seen my red pigeon blood eat, and believe me I watch the tank a lot. The weird thing is it isn't acting sick. The color is ok- a little pale maybe, but not dark at all. Still swimming with the 5 other discus in the tank most of the time, but it does isolate sometimes. I have tried FDBW, frozen bloodworms, live brine shrimp, frozen mystics shrimp, and frozen beef heart. Needless to say the other discus are getting very fat! There isn't much bullying going on, and this one doesn't fight for food, so it doesn't get picked on. I have a 55 gal bb tank. 6 discus 4 Cory cats,a and 2 bn plecos. 40% water change every day. Everyone else is fantastic, so I doubt that its a water quality issue, but just to be sure here are my parameters.
PH 6.8
Nitrate 10
Nitrite 0
Ammonia O
Temp 85
Any thoughts?

BlackComet94
01-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Shy fish?

Eward
01-14-2013, 09:31 PM
Actually... Now that you mention it, she is kinda shy. But not being bullied.

PP_GBR
01-21-2013, 11:35 PM
Any progress?

kreekree
01-22-2013, 05:29 PM
I can tell you that I had one very shy fish I got from Mike Beals out of my group of 6. He would hide in the corner and never come out. Occasionally I would see him take a bite but never go crazy for food like the others. Finally, 3 months later he has finally decided to join the group and come out and eat. I always figured he would be my first discus lost but he took longer then the others and is now with the rest of the group. Now, if I could only get them to eat the pellets!

ATX Discus Gal
01-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I have a couple picky eaters too and finally got them to eat Black Worms. If you have a decent fish store near by they should sell them. They are live food and my discus LOVE them.

sandy
01-22-2013, 07:53 PM
I have some picky eaters too they eat so little as if they are on dieting :p

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Eward
01-26-2013, 06:51 PM
This one isn't really shy because it does hang with the other 4 some times. I can't remember seeing it eat since before Christmas! Since it is still alive, and not looking too terrible, conventional wisdom says it must be eating something, right? Sometimes it looks like it is breathing harder than the others, and I think it might be a little redder around the gills than my 4 blues. I did lose a small fire red the other day, which has also gone on a hunger strike. That one only lasted 2 weeks without eating. Neither fish had / has any other symptoms. Color is ok but pale. No sores or fin issues. No poop to look at so I don't know what color it is. Water parameters are fine, and the other 5 fish are thriving! They R actually getting very fat due to all the different thing I keep offering this one! It's frustrating.... How long can this fish go without eating? And do you think it probably is eating when I'm not looking?

krislewis3
01-28-2013, 07:42 AM
This post could have come from me!! I have a 60 gl tank, with 5 discus, 3 corys, and 2 bn plecos!!! When one of my discus went on a hunger strike, it was a difficult diagnosis because when they dont eat, they dont poop, and often its the poop that identifies the problem. I was advised to put a divider in the tank (to keep the breeding pair to themselves) It was thought that signals from them might be the cause! NOT!!! I tried every food type , and every suggestion here on sd. Finally, I caught the fish having a bowel movement, and it was yellowish in color. Now,the educated folks here at SD were able to diagnose and help me treat the fish. It was thought to be round worms, and the treatment for that is lavamisole! I ordered the drug, and within 2 days, the fish was eating normally!!!
If you have a low powered microscope with which to look at the poop, it is easy to identify the parasite by the eggs that are left in the poop! photos of the different types of parasitic eggs can be found in the disease and medication section, in the stickies! Oh, and they can go a loooooooong time without eating! Good luck