PDA

View Full Version : A question about growing things in my intake tubes...

GrayLadyPat
01-17-2013, 02:04 PM
I have canister filters.

I love them... I really do...

Unfortunately, the same water that is good for the fish is also good for growing different types of algae and bacteria in the intake tubes. It is not bad enough to have to replace the hoses and tubes (yet,) but I was wondering... How often do those of you who have them need to replace them?

With the cooler water that I had when it was simply a community tank, I didn't seem to have as much growth. Warm water and discus feeding schedule seems to be the culprit here. I am worried that the growth may affect my water quality. With the issues I am having with the city water, I don't want to take any chances.

Thanks for all your help!

Tazalanche
01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I have algae growing in mine too. I just take the hoses off every Saturday & run a pipe cleaner through them so the water flow doesn't drop.

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 01:44 AM
I do the same I take me pipe cleaners and run them througjt the tubes as well to keep them clean and wayer flow up.

sandy
01-25-2013, 02:51 AM
I do have same issue I don't think so we get pipe cleaner any other suggestion

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

-gb-
01-25-2013, 11:04 AM
This is what I think Tazalanche & Dubiadiscus are referring to as "pipe cleaners". http://www.aquariumsupplies.ca/filter-brush-assorted-sizes-p-2616.html

Run them through your hoses and they are as good as new. I have a few hoses that are too long for the pipe cleaners to reach all the way through. To clean these hoses I attach a led fishing weight to some fishing line and attach the other end of the fishing line to the pipe cleaner. I then feed the led weight through the hose and drag the pipe cleaner all the way through.

Kevinh
01-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Great idea on cleaning the long hoses. I just switched from bio wheel filter to canister and was wondering how I would clean the hoses. Thanks Kevin

sandy
01-27-2013, 10:25 AM
Will try this when I am going to clean my filter

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2