PDA

View Full Version : First time discus owner, few questions

DiscusShark
01-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Hello all,

Just like to introduce myself, I'm Chris.

I just recently upgraded from my first tank (a standard 10 gallon) that i've successfully kept fish in for over a year to a new 40g.

here is my stock list.

10 gallon:

4 glass cats
3 neon tetra
1 common pleco
1 plant (not sure of the name)

water kept at 79 degrees

I transferred everything to the new 40G about a week ago
including the gravel (mixed with new gravel) and the ornaments (large cave thing + smaller cave thing)

After completing the transfer I went to my local fish shop to get some information about what fish I can add to my new tank.

over a few days I added the following

2 - 3.5 inch discus
8 - glowlight tetra
2 - dwarf gourami

+ New heater and filter

I slowly increased the temperature before adding the discus to 83 degrees and the fish have tolerated it well. (The LFS had the discus in warm 82+ water). They were eating and did not seem stressed. I proceeded to add the glowlights and 2 discus and at first the discus were hiding behind the large cave thing but now are out and about and have been eating.

I told the guy at my local fish store about which fish i currently have and he recommended me the discus, glowlights and dwarf gourami he also said i should up the temperature to around 82. I asked if the other fish would be okay with that temp and if they would get along and he said yes.

I just want to confirm that my fish will be okay at the current temp of 83 or should i turn the heater down a bit?

all the fish seem to be doing well, The dwarf gourami's are fun to watch and don't bother eachother or other fish.

My neon tetra sometimes swim with the glowlights

and the 2 discus are usually always next to eachother slowly swimming around.

the glass cats are almost always inside the cave thing (they come out at night)

and the pleco just does his thing all around the tank.

i'd like to mention i am definitely a novice hobbyist and when i purchased the discus I didnt know anything about them other than what i learned from my lfs + asking as many questions as i could.

After i got them... I ended up reading as much as i could about them on the internet and have been following the basics to keep them happy. I hope im doing okay so far..

troysdiiscus
01-17-2013, 02:33 PM
Hey and welcome to the world of discus. I am not as experienced in this field as others but i can give you my past experiences.
First, I will tell you that Discus do better in groups larger than 2, like 6 or more but that would mean bigger tank. Rule of thumb 1 discus per 10 gallons.
Water perimeters are important to the success of discus. So that means plenty of water changes, I do 30 to 40% per day. Many on here will tell you that a BB tank to grow out is the way to go because of the feeding. If your is 2.5 and up to 4.5 inches they are juvies and should be feed 3 to 4 times a day. The diet is important to go with that. So the things to look at are water perimeters and water changes and diet....Good luck.......

DiscusShark
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Thank you for the reply,

AFTER I got the my discus i did read that they do best in groups of 5-6 :/

When I initially got them, everything seemed a-ok in my LFS' eyes. So i proceeded with the 2 in my 40 gallon.

They seem to be doing well though, which im happy about. I feed them flakes, bits, and froze blood worm.

The discus seem to like the blood worm best.

I'm thinking I will do 30% water changes every other day with the gravel vac.

When I feed them, I'm closely watching all my fish to make sure they are eating and healthy, When/if they do not eat all the food, I clean it out with my net (as much as i can).

My main concern is the water temperature, The water has stabilized at around 82-84. Will all my fish be okay with this?

thanks again :)

John_Nicholson
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Welcome but I got bad news for you....your local store was just trying to get your money, Your chances of success with this setup is very unlikely. You need more discus but your tank is 2 small. At that size your discus should still be young and they probably will not do well in a planted tank. Common plecos will normally develop a liking to discus slime and start eating it off of you discus. I wish you luck but I would not expect success.

-john

troysdiiscus
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
John is right, the thing about LFS is none of them know much about fish, there job is to turn fish out and sell more. I have seen rare situations where 2 or 3 worked on a BB tank, but this is far from success. The discus need a steady diet which should include beefheart which has protein and other. However beefheart is another conversation piece depending who you ask, regardless they need a good range and variety of foods. Which why a BB is the way to go till the get of adult size and dont eat as much. Good luck and research this forum you will get the right info you need and not set you for failure.

DiscusShark
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
Appreciate the reply

I realized after I purchased them and reading on the internet that there was a lot more too them than the info my lfs gave me :/ My mistake for the "impulse" buy.. Bummer than you can't put full trust into lfs owners.

BUT since i do have them now, I also still have my old 10gallon laying around. Would it be a good idea to put the pleco and plant in there?

So far the pleco hasn't bothered the 2 discus but I will keep a close eye for it.

also, do you think 82-84 degree water is safe for the rest of the fish?

Appreciate your knowledge :)

edit: I'd also like to mention that if i certainly am doomed to harm the discus, I'd rather sell or see if I can return them. I really do like them, but if they'd be better off not being in the tank, I can understand that. I would love to keep them and keep them happy, if possible to do so.

Welcome but I got bad news for you....your local store was just trying to get your money, Your chances of success with this setup is very unlikely. You need more discus but your tank is 2 small. At that size your discus should still be young and they probably will not do well in a planted tank. Common plecos will normally develop a liking to discus slime and start eating it off of you discus. I wish you luck but I would not expect success.

-john

John_Nicholson
01-17-2013, 03:28 PM
Lots of good information over in the beginners section but the basic rules are your best chance of success go as follows....

At least a 55 gallon tank, at least 6 discus, daily water changes ( most do 50% ), bare bottom tank with no other fish, feed very well ( I prefer beaf heart ), temp in the 82 to 86 degree area, buy from a reliable source...most LFS do not count.

-john

zimmjeff
01-17-2013, 05:22 PM
And don't feel bad almost everyone's first discus are practice discus. Jeff

John_Nicholson
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
And don't feel bad almost everyone's first discus are practice discus. Jeff

Good point.

-john

Dlprice45
01-17-2013, 07:28 PM
I am fairly new here still and always learning but I have had a community tank with Discus, The temp should be fine at 82 degrees for the other fish. I do agree that you should possibly get a bigger tank and more Discus do better together . It is always risky having other community fish with Discus, but it can be successful. More water changes are recommended also. Juvies are not the best in a planted tank and in a community tank from my experience. The adult discus should do better in a community tank. Well good luck to you and I hope that it works out for you. they are the most beautiful fish to have in my experience and worth the extra work.

DiscusShark
01-18-2013, 06:53 PM
Thank you.. I ended up removing the pleco from the tank and the dwarf gourami's. I also added a very nice piece of Mopani wood after rinsing it for a few hours.

The wood stained the water to a tea like color.. but it seemed to have made the fish way more active, swimming around more throughout the tank.

Really has an Amazonian vibe to it now..

The 2 discus are now only with 8 glowlights and 6 neons and 4 glass cats..

I plan on getting a 55 gallon.. possibly bigger if the budget allows, when i get my tax return soon.

Thanks for the information everybody.

I am fairly new here still and always learning but I have had a community tank with Discus, The temp should be fine at 82 degrees for the other fish. I do agree that you should possibly get a bigger tank and more Discus do better together . It is always risky having other community fish with Discus, but it can be successful. More water changes are recommended also. Juvies are not the best in a planted tank and in a community tank from my experience. The adult discus should do better in a community tank. Well good luck to you and I hope that it works out for you. they are the most beautiful fish to have in my experience and worth the extra work.

Moon
01-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Neon tetras cannot tolerate the higher temp that discus require. Better off with cardinals.

Dlprice45
01-19-2013, 02:49 PM
I have had neon tetras in my community tank for a yr at 84 and they are doing fine. But maybe as a general rule that is true..