PDA

View Full Version : RO water half tap

troysdiiscus
01-17-2013, 02:16 PM
Hey all knowledgeable ones, I have a question. I have a 30 barrel I use to do WC. I use half RO and half tap. My RO water ph is 6.0 and tap is about 7.2 to 7.4, so half and half gives me a reading of about 6.6 to 6.8 my tank is 6.5 to 6.6. Do I have to age the water in the barrel or if I use alittle prime I can use it directly? All comments more than welcome. thanks

MSD
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
It depends what is in your tap water, and ow much you value your discus. Just to 24 hours is simple and reduces the rish to your fish. Seems a no-brainer plus you cannot be lazy and keep good discus.

troysdiiscus
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Its not a matter of being lazy, which being a die hard discus owner who respects the species, so that certainly isnt it because you dont know me. I have a 30 gallon barrel in my bed room that I made a cabinet for to match my stand, because of the distance I fill my barrel half and half, I never fully deplete the water and times I do more than one wc a day. So just saying since I have maybe a third of aged water left in it, if I do additional changes (not all the time) on top of my daily wc, cant waite for another day. So just wondering if I do have a third left in barrel could I fill it and couple of hours do another wc if needed. Again not all the time, most of the time it does sit for a day between wc.

MSD
01-18-2013, 07:09 PM
I was making a general about the "lazy" statement, not meany to be directed to you, sorry.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-25-2013, 09:22 PM
I completely empty my aging barrels once a month and clean them out. Even with 100% RO I still find the paper towels get a bit of dirt on them after the wipe down. With my 50/50 barrel, I get more iron when I wipe down the inside from the tap water.

My RO is like yours and tap with a low ph and high ph from the tap. I try and spend more time nutralizing the ph to 6.6 average, but lower for the pairs.

troysdiiscus
01-26-2013, 11:03 AM
was wondering since im not breeding if I could do maybe 1 to 3 RO to tap and get ph around 7.0 if that would be acceptable?

Trier20
01-26-2013, 12:18 PM
was wondering since im not breeding if I could do maybe 1 to 3 RO to tap and get ph around 7.0 if that would be acceptable?

Honestly of your not breeding there is no need to waste money on a RO unit and the water it wastes. Just aged your water for 24hrs And be good to go.