PDA

View Full Version : Serioulsy thinking about keeping Discus

ChefAlex19
01-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Ok so here's the scoop. I am done with keeping monsters(aro's, pacus, and all those type) and have decided to go the peacuful route. I have the wild Peruivan Scaralet Altums already wild out of peru, and I am thinking about keeping discus for the first time ever. My mom and dad promised to get me a 125 gallon for my graduation present in May/late June. I would love to make this a tank for altums and discus and maybe 1 or 2 motoro rays. I keep my ph. around 6.2-7.2 in which my altums are thriving in. I feed them bloodworms, pellets, shrimp, and flakes and that would be the discus meal as well. The tankmates for the discus would be the 4 altum angels, 3 hassar oresis, megladoras irwini, and not sure about rays in a 125 gallon fish tank. I am thinking of getting 4-6 discus. Are the suggested tank mates ok for discus?I will keep the P.H. around 6.2-7.2? Is this good? What do I need to know about discus before I go out and get them? Full grown size? Experience you have with them? Any information you have is excellent. Doing a lot of research on discus. Would I be able to get a few say in Feb and grow them out with the altums and catfish in my 75 and then upgrade to a 125 in May/June? I am also planning on over filtering the 125 and using a lot of aeration in the form of air pumps.
I don't really know what else to ask but if you feel any info I need to know about discus let me know.
If you have any pics please share them with me.
I am thinking about getting wild discus, since I like the look of them better than the farm raised asian discus..... no offense, but those look horrible. Please don't take offensene to that. I just like the wild discus better.
-Chef Alex

a volar
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
I am thinking about getting wild discus, since I like the look of them better than the farm raised asian discus..... no offense, but those look horrible. Please don't take offensene to that. I just like the wild discus better.
-Chef Alex

:O

ChefAlex19
01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
:O
I like the wild discus colors better. No offense, man! :) <3 peace!

Orange Crush
01-17-2013, 09:49 PM
Life would be sooooo boring if we all liked the same things :D

Second Hand Pat
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Alex, first you need to read all you can on this site. Lots of good info. I was on this site researching for four months prior to buying discus. Regarding wild discus there are also domestics breed to resemble wilds so perhaps another consideration.
Pat

discuspaul
01-17-2013, 10:04 PM
If you really want to keep discus, AND be successful keeping them, i.e. no surprises - no serious disappointments, then you need to do some more research - a lot more.
You like wild discus - and you have wild Altums - a potentially disastrous combination for a newcomer to discus-keeping.
The one thing in your favor is that you seem to have some experience (presumably successful) keeping wild altums - so that's a head start.
Here's what I strongly suggest:
- Leave your Altums and other existing or planned discus tankmates exactly where they are for now.
- Get your 125 gal tank set up & properly cycled.
- Stock your new tank with 6 or more adult, or near adult discus (min. 4" fish) obtained from a well-known, experienced reliable source for supplying quality fish.
- Keep your discus in that new tank alone for several months while you observe, get familiar with their traits and behaviors, feeding and wc needs, tank cleansing routines, etc.
-Then and only then, do a suitable quarantine with an Angel and a discus to see what, if anything develops, then decide to put the two species together if all goes well.
- That's the way to ensure you won't experience potential heavy duty problems, frustration, disappointment, and possible loss of expensive fish.
Sorry if this seems harsh, but it's the safest, least risky way to go.

ChefAlex19
01-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I like discuspaul's response I may end up doing it that way.

a volar
01-17-2013, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the quick replies guys! I like discuspaul's response I may end up doing it that way.

Read all you can this forum, then, read again........... and then read one more time :)

ChefAlex19
01-19-2013, 11:06 PM
Ok so I decided to hold back on getting the discus this soon. Let's see if the seller is cool with that.
Couple of questions.
What water parms are perfect for these guys? Bloodworms, flakes, and brine shrimp ok for these guys? Wild are they hardy than tank raised like my fish store is telling me? I've been offered a 6-7'' wild discus for $125. Good deal? Pictures of wild discus?
Also what are some common tank raised discus that look like wild discus?
Pictures of full grown tank raised discus so you can persuade me to go with them. :-)!
-Chef Alex

discuspaul
01-20-2013, 12:15 AM
The only water params that are 'near' perfect are: 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites, under 10 ppm for nitrates - pH doesn't really matter so long as it's fairly steady - and lots of clean, fresh water via wcs, and a nice, clean tank.

Feeding: whatever they'll take, but preferably with lots of protein. The more varied the diet, the better. Young ones fed several times a day - adults or near adults, once or twice a day.

Which are hardier - wilds or domestic-raised ? : matter of opinion - depends on the quality of the stock.

6"-7" wild discus for $ 125. - good deal ? - who knows- depends on the strain, their health, coloration, how badly you like them, etc. - lots of considerations.
Where did you come up with these types of questions anyway ? LOL They're rather unanswerable with any degree of value given to the answers.

Common tank raised that look like wilds ? - that's best left up to your research for you to decide.

As for your last question - forgive me, but who needs to persuade you ? You go with your own gut feel & what you like - no one can make that decision for you.

Pics of wild discus ? Maybe SecondHand Pat or someone else has some of those for you - BR in Rio -where are you ?

No offense intended.

ChefAlex19
01-20-2013, 12:28 AM
The only water params that are 'near' perfect are: 0 ammonia & 0 nitrites, under 10 ppm for nitrates - pH doesn't really matter so long as it's fairly steady - and lots of clean, fresh water via wcs, and a nice, clean tank.

Feeding: whatever they'll take, but preferably with lots of protein. The more varied the diet, the better. Young ones fed several times a day - adults or near adults, once or twice a day.

Which are hardier - wilds or domestic-raised ? : matter of opinion - depends on the quality of the stock.

6"-7" wild discus for $ 125. - good deal ? - who knows- depends on the strain, their health, coloration, how badly you like them, etc. - lots of considerations.
Where did you come up with these types of questions anyway ? LOL They're rather unanswerable with any degree of value given to the answers.

Common tank raised that look like wilds ? - that's best left up to your research for you to decide.

As for your last question - forgive me, but who needs to persuade you ? You go with your own gut feel & what you like - no one can make that decision for you.

Pics of wild discus ? Maybe SecondHand Pat or someone else has some of those for you - BR in Rio -where are you ?

No offense intended.
LOL! Thanks for your respond. I'm a newbie into discus, so I am just asking some newbie questions. Cut me some slack. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give me good info to my questions.

Etek
01-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Just go to the beginners and general section and just start reading. There is so much good info for you. Then if you have further questions feel free to ask. Remember to just get what you want..it's your fish..shouldn't need people to sway you to get anything. Also you asked Martha about her fish..they're bred from the "Asian" discus you don't like. She doesn't sell big fishes either..2" fish will get lost in a 125. Hope that helps you a lil further.

a volar
01-20-2013, 12:42 AM
LOL! Thanks for your respond. I'm a newbie into discus, so I am just asking some newbie questions. Cut me some slack. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give me good info to my questions.

Good info? So, you think Paul info is not good enough? Or maybe you want to hear something else... LOL

Second Hand Pat
01-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Hi Alex, the members here do not mind helping but you need to assume some responsibility for your own education with discus. Please start with the stickies in the beginner section. Paul wrote a informative beginners guide which is an excellent starting place. :)
Pat

ChefAlex19
01-20-2013, 11:04 AM
Just go to the beginners and general section and just start reading. There is so much good info for you. Then if you have further questions feel free to ask. Remember to just get what you want..it's your fish..shouldn't need people to sway you to get anything. Also you asked Martha about her fish..they're bred from the "Asian" discus you don't like. She doesn't sell big fishes either..2" fish will get lost in a 125. Hope that helps you a lil further.

I am catching up on the all topics and learning a lot this Morning. :)
When I was refering to the asian discus, I meant the albino looking ones, and those stupid ones. I love the turquoise discus the best if I were to go Non discus.

ChefAlex19
01-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi Alex, the members here do not mind helping but you need to assume some responsibility for your own education with discus. Please start with the stickies in the beginner section. Paul wrote a informative beginners guide which is an excellent starting place. :)
Pat

Thank you. I was given a lot of info in that beginner's guide written by Martha and Paul and learned a lot.

mmorris
01-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Written by Paul, edited by Martha. :)

discuspaul
01-24-2013, 10:57 PM
Many thanks for your kind explanatory words, Martha-
But.... as you & I both know, there were times when I seriously thought you were contributing a lot more than 50% of the finished product, and I really think you did.
LOL - I may laugh a bit, but you sure as hell put me on the proper track - in a lot of ways - and it wouldn't have turned out the way it did without your 'EDITING' !

ChefAlex19
01-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Thanks both of you guys for the excellent article.
But it looks like I might be getting 2 of my dream discus---wilds!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103120-Getting-2-wild-discus-to-start!!!!&p=969357#post969357

mmorris
01-25-2013, 05:13 PM
Which lfs is it, Alex? I don't recommend getting just two, or getting them from an lfs, and as you can see Pat, who knows her wilds, doesn't recommend it.

discuspaul
01-25-2013, 05:23 PM
Avoid a potentially huge disappointment, Alex, by listening to the good advice you're getting here.

a volar
01-25-2013, 08:25 PM
Thanks both of you guys for the excellent article.
But it looks like I might be getting 2 of my dream discus---wilds!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103120-Getting-2-wild-discus-to-start!!!!&p=969357#post969357

I tough you were reading the beginner section....... but apparently you have not.

ChefAlex19
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
Which lfs is it, Alex? I don't recommend getting just two, or getting them from an lfs, and as you can see Pat, who knows her wilds, doesn't recommend it.

It is Scales and tails in Wilbraham. I would just start out with 2 and keep adding to the group.

ChefAlex19
01-25-2013, 10:54 PM
I tough you were reading the beginner section....... but apparently you have not.

I'm reading through out the site bro! ;-)!

pastry
01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Alex, which wilds do you like? Sorry if I missed it earlier in the thread. I actually started off with wilds and loved them as well but ended up eventually going with tank bred that shared similar looking coloration (well, sort of... maybe a little extra red here and there and a few striated that are a little more than your average royal). I think you may enjoy the challenge of growing them out. On the other hand, I do know how exciting it is to get adult wilds, bring them home, and watch them settle in over time.

Meanwhile, I'm sure you've already browsed through a lot of SD and now want to have information tailored to your situation (even though remember, many in here have seen this time and time again). That said, do you have any questions about some of the "rules"/"guidelines" that you've read?

I also want to agree that you would want more than 2 (even if you say you're going to build a group over time). Reason being is because if you do get 2 that settle in just fine then the odds are that one may bully that crap out of the other. Think of african cichlids and how "more is better" rather than a few fish where one beats the heck out of the other one or two until it's just not worth watching anymore. While not as aggressive as africans, discus will still do that to a degree (hell, sometimes worse depending on the dominant fish). If you can't afford a whole group at once, then my recommendation is no less than 4 but don't wait to long to get a few more.

ChefAlex19
05-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Well good news.... after months and months of reading and reading, studying and studying I will be getting my first discus.
I have 4 wild discus on hold from John over at Snook21 and thank god I caught him in time. Wild discus season is coming to an end, that would have meant either I was stuck with the domesitc or wait unitl fall when they come back.
I am getting 3 med manacapuru blue and red wild discus and 1 wild green tefe discus both are wild. Maybe I'll add a rio negro heckel or another tefe and then I plan on getting some turquoise discus from Martha.
Tankmates will be 3 wild peru altums, 3 festivums, and tetras in a 150 gallon with driftwood and sand. It is in the works.

dkeef
05-05-2013, 09:48 PM
Nice. Im getting my first discus in couple weeks also.

Neoracer
05-09-2013, 12:25 AM
I like the wild discus colors better. No offense, man! :) <3 peace!

I also like the look of the wild discus, But the tank raised are beautiful to.

star rider
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
I favor wilds myself. opted tho for domestic virgin reds.
I am curious about your 'wild peru altum' is this the species that appear altum(many characteristics of altum)

I keep P.Altum Inirida
I got mine at dime sized 2 yrs ago they are now much larger. at 2 they are larger than any of my P Scalare.
the maint for the altum is comparable to discus keeping lots of food, lots of water changes.

ChefAlex19
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I favor wilds myself. opted tho for domestic virgin reds.
I am curious about your 'wild peru altum' is this the species that appear altum(many characteristics of altum)

I keep P.Altum Inirida
I got mine at dime sized 2 yrs ago they are now much larger. at 2 they are larger than any of my P Scalare.
the maint for the altum is comparable to discus keeping lots of food, lots of water changes.

The wild Peru altums are wild caught P. Scalare. These are false altums, but caught from rio negro.

star rider
05-15-2013, 12:15 PM
ahh thank you.

they are quite beautiful fish , the ones I've seen.
I do have some wild scalare as well as the Altum.
was looking at some Peru 'Altum' at a local store but decided to put my energy into Altum and Discus

ChefAlex19
05-21-2013, 12:10 PM
ahh thank you.

they are quite beautiful fish , the ones I've seen.
I do have some wild scalare as well as the Altum.
was looking at some Peru 'Altum' at a local store but decided to put my energy into Altum and Discus
Yes they are. :)

ChefAlex19
05-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Got my first 2 discusZ!
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?106296-Yay!-My-first-2-wild-tefe-greens-are-here&p=1002070#post1002070