PDA

View Full Version : Going BB..

JonC
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
So I’m just sitting on the couch looking at the fish and decided then and there to go BB. I have about 120 pounds of pool filter sand in the 110. I get out a bucket and a big cup and start filling the bucket with sand. After about 30 min. or so I decided to try and suck it out with my 1” hose. That worked great and only took about 20 min. once I started using the hose.
Now I have a big problem, I got this tank used and the back was painted black, that didn’t matter because of the white sand, but as the sand is coming out I see the bottom is painted black as well.

WOW! My fish are looking dark, I’m planning on draining the tank and tomorrow and hope I can get the paint off. The whole thing will take a few days as the tank is too heavy for my wife to help and I can’t ask someone to help me move it and hanging out as I’m scrubbing off the black and repainting it white, then dry.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-20-2013, 04:50 PM
You can always keep a 1/2 of sand to lighten the bottom and very little to clean. I did that with my 95. I wanted BB but the bottom was never painted and stand was dark color. It is not bad to clean around that little bit of sand.

The back, if you can get to it should scrape off easy with a fresh blade.