PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive discus

Ben1020
01-21-2013, 02:36 PM
Can any of you guys help me out. I have one discus who is very aggressive and beats up my other discus it already killed a blue cobalt. All my discus are around 3-4in. btw I'm a bit new to discus.

ROOK45
01-21-2013, 02:39 PM
How many do you have and what size tank?

a volar
01-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Tank size? how many fish? what kind of tank mates? general description on tank? even better, post some pictures.....

a volar
01-21-2013, 07:03 PM
By the way WELCOME TO SIMPLY!!

Ben1020
01-22-2013, 01:14 PM
Thx. I have 3 discus in a 55gal with a school of rasboras, 4 bandit Cory's, some glowlight tetras, 2 babie angles, 1 3in angel, a bunch of ottos, 3 amino shrimp, and 2 baby red lizard whip tails. As well as a good amount of plants. By the way he just beat the cr*p out of my red dragon :(

ROOK45
01-22-2013, 08:27 PM
Get more discus to spread aggression another 2 or 3 should do it.

Ben1020
01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
Does anyone know any good breeders in the Long Island area I live in Nassau county btw.

Brirvhd
01-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Does anyone know any good breeders in the Long Island area I live in Nassau county btw.

Check ref0716....I'm pretty sure he is in the Wading River area in eastern Suffolk county.

Allwin
01-23-2013, 12:54 PM
ROOK45 is right..

Even I'm a newbie to discus,started 5-months back, had a couple of aggressive discus with damaged fins. Had hard time quarantining 2 weeks,once i introduced into 55G tank with 7 other guys. They are such a pleasant wife, no pecking order fight,happily share/grab with others.. Not sure, but my eyes see recovering fins!!! If any tips to improve the fins, please advice..

ROOK45
01-23-2013, 01:15 PM
ROOK45 is right..

Not sure, but my eyes see recovering fins!!! If any tips to improve the fins, please advice..

Clean water is all you need...fins heal fast. 2 weeks is not enough for quarantine. Next time 4-6 weeks is better. I'm a noob too, only been keeping discus for 3 months. LOL but nowhere near a noob when it comes to fish keeping. I have about 25 year under my belt and have made many mistakes but you have to learn from them and others. Just like any other fish just more WC'ing.

Allwin
01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Agreed 200%, 2 weeks is not enough,i should follow it.. But other than their aggression,they reacted very well, so i was very confident to introduce them to my main tank. Glad it removed their aggression.
Let me add one more thing - my patience level is pretty low too :D

And for fins, taking good care of the water with BB.. Ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are under control all the time with 10% or less water changes every day to clean the sediments, along with Fluval 406 filter and sponge filters!!! Silent and smooth for these fishes..

Those fishes are happy so far though :)

rustybaker
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
There's not much on Long Island to be honest. Country Critters in Patchogue has a decent selection but I just recently drove out to Discus Madness in Union, NJ and the guy there Mattias has an immaculate selection. Cleanest, healthiest fish I've seen and fair prices. I picked up three juvies and they are doing excellent. Hour drive from Bellmore.

Brirvhd
01-24-2013, 12:48 AM
There's not much on Long Island to be honest. Country Critters in Patchogue has a decent selection but I just recently drove out to Discus Madness in Union, NJ and the guy there Mattias has an immaculate selection. Cleanest, healthiest fish I've seen and fair prices. I picked up three juvies and they are doing excellent. Hour drive from Bellmore.

I would also like to give a shout out ;) to Mattias of Discus Madness, I visited his facility in NJ back in Nov. as well and purchased four 3.5"-4.5" fish from him. They are all doing great, also purchased a pound of his freshly made frozen beefheart mix and a cycled sponge filter. He is very knowlegable and spent a good amount of time giving me some great advice.

DiscusJimmy
02-07-2013, 02:07 PM
I had a problem with discus aggression a couple of weeks back... I had a breeding pair of T-bar Cichlids (which were the original pair whilst cycling my tank) and when I introduced my 1st 2 discus they really went for them! It's amazing considering the T-bars were 1/3rd of their size. Anyway had to remove the T-bars and put them into my cichlid aquarium (where they soon learnt the errors of their ways).

I recently introduced another 2 discus (about 2 weeks ago) and they were getting chased and pecked at... my solution was simple. I just re-introduced the little T-bars back into the discus tank and they soon knocked the "king" off his throne!

All the discus now swim together, feed really well and have a new common enemy....the dreaded T-bars.

Allwin
02-07-2013, 02:47 PM
Even i have the same challenge with G Blue Rams.. These are much territorial than discus, so it happens.. Even my discus are not much frightened or cared about these little guys.. And this small guy is happy that it frightened the big guys.. Unless it harms the fins or the fish, I'm OK with get them along...

Kevin C
02-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Can any of you guys help me out. I have one discus who is very aggressive and beats up my other discus it already killed a blue cobalt. All my discus are around 3-4in. btw I'm a bit new to discus.

You need more discus because they are schooling fish. You can also try the time out method by taking out the aggressive one for a week or two and then put it back.

sammy
02-08-2013, 04:34 PM
The easiest and fastest way to stop aggressive behavior is to put a larger discus in the tank with them.