PDA

View Full Version : 78 degrees?

FlyTekk
01-22-2013, 03:02 AM
Why is it that many books, videos, forums say its okay to have discus in 78 degrees water. I guess people need to go this cold for the sake of plants or maybe other fish in the aquarium.

Just want to get confirmation here from anyone that may have experience. Is it okay to keep discus in this temp long term and happy/healthy.

If not whats the coldest?

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2013, 03:33 AM
82 is generally the lowest recommended for discus.

John_Nicholson
01-22-2013, 08:39 AM
They will not die in 78 degree water but they really won't be happy either. You had also better start with adults because young fish will not grow at all at the temp. Best thing to do is ditch the plants and keep the temp at 80 or above.

-john

darcy
01-22-2013, 09:38 AM
*sigh* I kinda just did this the other day. After a WC dumb *** here forgot to plug the heater back in................to make a long story short my fish were not impressed!! They were "off" not attacking me for food and huddled in the corner. A quick check and plugged the heater back in and as the temp warmed the fish became normal. 78 is too cool IMO.

Larry Bugg
01-22-2013, 09:55 AM
I'm curious as to which books, videos or forums say 78 is ok. I have searched and read much about discus and the temp is usually said to be best in the 82 range. Just did a google search on "discus temperature" and out of the top 20 links all but 1 said 82 or higher. A couple mentioned that you could keep them at lower temps but stated that they would be more prone to pathogens.

ROOK45
01-22-2013, 10:36 AM
I've tried sub 80 degree water....result was ich in the first week. Never again

Chicago Discus
01-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Why is it that many books, videos, forums say its okay to have discus in 78 degrees water. I guess people need to go this cold for the sake of plants or maybe other fish in the aquarium.

Just want to get confirmation here from anyone that may have experience. Is it okay to keep discus in this temp long term and happy/healthy.

If not whats the coldest?

Im not sure what Forums, books and videos you got your information from but you can keep Discus at 78 degrees just not happy ones hell you can probably even get some spawning action from some adults. But IMO you will run into trouble keeping Discus at that temperature there immune systems will break down and you will start having losses and will get on the forums disease section and want help because you cant understand whats going on with your fish. So to save yourself some future problems start a beautiful planted tank with inhabitants that can take the lower temperatures (78) and keep Discus out of the equation. Or you can get 2.5 inch discus throw them in your cold planted tank and change the water once a week as not to disturb the plants or other inhabitants then take the Discus out throw them in a 20g un cycled tank with a bunch of harsh medications and watch them die. The choice is yours Joking LOL.........Josie

Kevin C
01-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Totally agree! Discus should be kept in at least 82 degrees. 84 - 86 is best way to go.

John_Nicholson
01-22-2013, 12:17 PM
I would say 82 is the best........

-john

FlyTekk
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Lol, i have no reason to attempt a 78 degrees tank as im not doing planted and the only livestock in my tank will be discus. I was just wondering why some places say 78. Most books dont say.... he make sure your tank is 78. But they do say where certain discus are from and then they say that those waters are 78 degrees.

If you go on youtube, there are many discus myth videos. I dont think they mean bad i just think they're trying to sway people into getting discus that may have not done so because of how difficult they are to keep.

Ive read some posts in forums about people keeping discus at those temps mainly planted tanks and had no probs. (YET lol)

John_Nicholson
01-22-2013, 02:24 PM
"Ive read some posts in forums about people keeping discus at those temps mainly planted tanks and had no probs. (YET lol)"

Remember this is relative....I have had lots of people tell me how they grew out great looking large discus in a planted tank....and then they come to the house and see a discus that has been grown out BB....LOL. Its not that they were trying to mislead they just did not know.

-john

Dlprice45
01-22-2013, 02:29 PM
Yah I agree 82. Although I have a planted tank with Discus but the temp is 82. You have to be more selective with the kind of plants you get is all. and adult discus do better in the planted tanks.

nikond70s
01-22-2013, 02:36 PM
somewhere on this forum, i remember reading a well known breeder in asia. forgot which breeder. but he post on here aswell. he said that healthy discus do not need warm water. when i kept discus i had mine in 80. never had a problem or anything. so i would assume those who normally keep their discus warm. their discus wont like it if they lower the temp and wont be as hungry. warmer it is the the hungrier they get. colder it is..the less they feel hungry slower metabolism.

discus6628
01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I currently growing 8 juives 1.5-2" with 86 degree temp. Would anyone suggest to drop the temp down as they grow bigger?

nikond70s
01-22-2013, 02:44 PM
I currently growing 8 juives 1.5-2" with 86 degree temp. Would anyone suggest to drop the temp down as they grow bigger?

as juvies, you want warm temps. so they have faster metabolism. thus making them hungry all the time. heavy feeding and lots of water change is what gives them maximum growth. as they reach adult size. in my opinion, there is no reason to put them in such high temps. i would def lower the temp when they are adults.

discus6628
01-22-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks. I feed them 4-5 times a day with auto feeder on flake and new life spectrum food. They always have extra food left at the bottom. I vacuum it everyday and WC every other day. Will consider drop the temp down to 84 in another month so that the cardinal have better chance too at lower temp. They all currently doing good in 86 now.

as juvies, you want warm temps. so they have faster metabolism. thus making them hungry all the time. heavy feeding and lots of water change is what gives them maximum growth. as they reach adult size. in my opinion, there is no reason to put them in such high temps. i would def lower the temp when they are adults.

John_Nicholson
01-22-2013, 03:07 PM
I have raised literally thousands of discus. I have always kept all of my tanks at 82 degrees....At maturity they will be just as big as the ones raised at 86.

-john

FlyTekk
01-22-2013, 03:08 PM
82 it is. Thanks guys.

discus6628
01-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Thank you John.

I have raised literally thousands of discus. I have always kept all of my tanks at 82 degrees....At maturity they will be just as big as the ones raised at 86.

-john

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2013, 05:31 PM
I raise my juvies at 82 also. I do have my wilds at 78 for breeding however and once the fry go free swimming the temp is eased up to 82.

FlyTekk
01-22-2013, 05:44 PM
So i guess the confusion lies some where between why do they come from waters that are 78 degrees and why do they prefer to breed in 78 degrees. Yet its generally understood that 82 is minimum.

John_Nicholson
01-22-2013, 05:57 PM
It has long been known that hitting them with cooler water will cause them to spawn....it simulates a large rain fall.

-john

Second Hand Pat
01-22-2013, 06:02 PM
So i guess the confusion lies some where between why do they come from waters that are 78 degrees and why do they prefer to breed in 78 degrees. Yet its generally understood that 82 is minimum.

The key is the water is sometimes 78 degrees for short periods of time. We are generalizing a little to much here.

FlyTekk
01-22-2013, 06:11 PM
It has long been known that hitting them with cooler water will cause them to spawn....it simulates a large rain fall.

-john

And rain fall is a temporary thing....

lipadj46
01-22-2013, 07:42 PM
And rain fall is a temporary thing....

Ever hear of the rainy season in the Amazon?

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

sandy
01-22-2013, 07:48 PM
I too believe 82 is better 78 is too cold for them also my tank temp is 82 always

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

ryanlovesdiscus
01-26-2013, 11:41 PM
would jungle val, ludwigia and amazon swords do ok in 82 temperature

discus rookie
01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
What would happen if you keep your adult at 86+, will it harm them?

lipadj46
01-27-2013, 11:06 AM
What would happen if you keep your adult at 86+, will it harm them?

No I've raised my first few batches of discus at 86 but have since turned it down to 82. It costs less and I have noticed my discus don't breath has fast as they used to at the higher temps.

mmorris
01-27-2013, 01:34 PM
My adults are at 82 and my fry/juvies are 84-5.

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 11:24 AM
At 82 my 5" discus didn't eat much at all.

My other tank was set to 86 my adults ate like pigs.

I prefer eating pigs than eating at minimal

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 12:04 PM
I have kept everything at basically 82 for the last 20 years or so...all my fish eat like crazy.

-john

beastroy
04-17-2014, 12:26 PM
82 is good for planted tank with discus that for pepple that don't feed often and for people who wishes to save $$$ on con Edison. I notice discus will get white spots if the temp is at 82....so best temp is 85 and 86 for anything smaller than 4 inches..hth.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2014, 12:31 PM
If your fish are getting white spots at 82 there is something else going on. It's not the temp.

yim11
04-17-2014, 01:17 PM
82 is good for planted tank with discus that for pepple that don't feed often and for people who wishes to save $$$ on con Edison. I notice discus will get white spots if the temp is at 82....so best temp is 85 and 86 for anything smaller than 4 inches..hth.

Pat is correct - white spots aren't caused by optimal discus temps, its due to sick fish and/or poor conditions.

85/86F is not the best temp, its actually bad. 82 is optimal.

beastroy
04-17-2014, 01:27 PM
There is no optimal temp here....it all depends on what your set up is going to be like barebottom or planted tank and different ppl have different taste. As for me I choose 85 .....so if I set it to 85 my tank temp is between 84 to 85

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 01:41 PM
As said above if you are getting white spots you are having some other issue. I am not telling you that you have to set it at 82 degrees....but you have now had 3 highly successful, longtime discus breeders tell you 82 is usually the best. All we can do is buy you the books, if you chose to eat the covers then it is on you.....

-john

nc0gnet0
04-17-2014, 04:24 PM

Odd, I have 23 tanks set at 82, anywhere from new wigglers to 5 year old adults, all are doing perfectly well and eating like pigs. Maybe you need a new thermometer?

-Rick

beastroy
04-17-2014, 04:56 PM
Odd, I have 23 tanks set at 82, anywhere from new wigglers to 5 year old adults, all are doing perfectly well and eating like pigs. Maybe you need a new thermometer?

-Rick

84 to 85 for adult and 86 for fry...for bare bottom tank......water issue or not I don't know.

btw my discus is too expensive to be set on 82 period.

nc0gnet0
04-17-2014, 05:01 PM
84 to 85 for adult and 86 for fry...for bare bottom tank......water issue or not I don't know.

I am trying to contemplate how they can be too expensive to keep at the optimum temperature, which my friend is 82, not 86. How often do you change water and how much?

Discusdude7
04-17-2014, 05:18 PM
85/86F is not the best temp, its actually bad. 82 is optimal.

Jim,
I know that you said 82 is the best temp. Also that 85/86 is bad, Will it shorten the fish's lifespan if you keep them at 85-86?
Thanks

yim11
04-17-2014, 05:26 PM
Jim,
I know that you said 82 is the best temp. Also that 85/86 is bad, Will it shorten the fish's lifespan if you keep them at 85-86?
Thanks

There is school of thought that you kind of burn the fish out at those higher temps due to the constant increased metabolism. You also start seeing changes in O2 levels and bacterial considerations once you get up that high. More risk than I'm comfortable with my expensive stock.

You must have better than show grade fish considering fish at show, some worth over $1000 US, will be kept as close to 82 as possible.

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 05:29 PM
LOL.....Between Jim, Rick, and myself we have probably culled more discus this year then you have even ever seen......

Saying that you cannot keep discus at 82 degrees without them getting white spots is just plain stupid.

There is an old saying that goes something like this......Keeping your mouth shut and having people think you might be an idiot is better than opening your mouth and removing all doubt...

-john

beastroy
04-17-2014, 05:40 PM
LOL.....Between Jim, Rick, and myself we have probably culled more discus this year then you have even ever seen......

Saying that you cannot keep discus at 82 degrees without them getting white spots is just plain stupid.

There is an old saying that goes something like this......Keeping your mouth shut and having people think you might be an idiot is better than opening your mouth and removing all doubt...

-john

take it ez old man no need to be calling me stupid ....you can set to what ever temp to your discus and ask me if I care.

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 05:42 PM
take it ez old man no need to be calling me stupid ....you can set to what ever temp to your discus and ask me if I care.

I just hate when bad information gets posted. I am not upset. I just don't want other new folks to read this thread and make the same mistake.

-john

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 05:52 PM
I am trying to contemplate how they can be too expensive to keep at the optimum temperature, which my friend is 82, not 86. How often do you change water and how much?

I try 50% or more everyday.
But I'm not perfect. So when I miss a day. I do 100%
I age my water if this maters to you

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 06:06 PM
How can 84-86 be bad?? I just don't get it.

Summer days in New York are hot. Last summer my tank would would stay at a stable 86 during the day. I sometimes even saw it at 88 on humid days. N I didn't even think about adding a chiller. i just made sure I had two air stones instead of 1. No biggie.

Again, I prefer a higher temp just cuz they eat more. It works for me. Might not work for u.

treemanone2003
04-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I just hate when bad information gets posted. I am not upset. I just don't want other new folks to read this thread and make the same mistake.

-john

I came in late and didn't start from the first post. I was lost, but now I'm found.

Discusdude7
04-17-2014, 06:30 PM
There is school of thought that you kind of burn the fish out at those higher temps due to the constant increased metabolism. You also start seeing changes in O2 levels and bacterial considerations once you get up that high. More risk than I'm comfortable with my expensive stock.

You must have better than show grade fish considering fish at show, some worth over $1000 US, will be kept as close to 82 as possible.

Thanks. I have kept my fish that high for the past 6 months...is the damage already done? I will decrease my temp

yim11
04-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Thanks. I have kept my fish that high for the past 6 months...is the damage already done? I will decrease my temp

I wouldn't think so. There are situations where temps above 84 are recommended - heat treatment/sick fish, acclimating new fish, and raising new fry/juvies - but none of those would be long term. I know a lot of folks that raise new fry/juvies in temps at 84/86 for the increased metabolism (I don't personally do this) then drop the fish down to 82 once they hit around 2-3" and that would coincide with your 6 mo time frame.

HTHs

nc0gnet0
04-17-2014, 07:21 PM
I try 50% or more everyday.
But I'm not perfect. So when I miss a day. I do 100%
I age my water if this maters to you

The question wasn't asked of you now was it?

Discusdude7
04-17-2014, 07:21 PM
I wouldn't think so. There are situations where temps above 84 are recommended - heat treatment/sick fish, acclimating new fish, and raising new fry/juvies - but none of those would be long term. I know a lot of folks that raise new fry/juvies in temps at 84/86 for the increased metabolism (I don't personally do this) then drop the fish down to 82 once they hit around 2-3" and that would coincide with your 6 mo time frame.

HTHs

Thanks Jim

nc0gnet0
04-17-2014, 07:22 PM
How can 84-86 be bad?? I just don't get it.

Increased bacterial reproduction for starters.

Ryan
04-17-2014, 07:38 PM
You'll also burn out your fish faster if you keep the water 86 - 88F, IMO. The higher your heat, the higher the metabolism of your fish. Increased breathing, increased activity, increased appetite... basically speeding their way towards an early grave. Higher temps are good for acclimating new fish, encouraging them to eat for you, and when treating certain ailments, but otherwise there's no reason to keep them over 84F IMO. I have most of my South American cichlid tanks, including the discus, set at 82. I do water changes with cooler water and they get frisky and want to spawn, then the heaters bring it back up gradually. Extended periods below 80 will see your fish become more lethargic and they won't have much of an appetite. I can always tell when a heater has died just by walking into the fish room and seeing how they're acting. That's all the proof I need that my water is too cold.

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 07:47 PM

Friend,

I googled this n I didn't find anything. Can you fill me in? Thanks.

Ryan
04-17-2014, 07:53 PM
Friend,

I googled this n I didn't find anything. Can you fill me in? Thanks.

Bacteria thrive and reproduce faster in warmer water. It's one of the reasons why, when treating bacterial infections in fish, you do not want to increase the heat. Google "bacteria warm environment" and there are literally thousands of articles explaining why bacteria like warm, moist environments.

beastroy
04-17-2014, 07:59 PM

ever heard about daily water changes at least 25% everyday minimum so no worries about any bacteria.

Madaboutdiscus
04-17-2014, 08:27 PM
ever heard about daily water changes at least 25% everyday minimum so no worries about any bacteria.

Ideally you should be changing at least 50% daily. And any person that knows a bit about bacteria and science can/will tell you bacteria reproduce faster at higher temps. Ever wonder why they keep doctors' offices and hospitals so chilly? Just saying...

~Victoria

Bill63SG
04-17-2014, 08:30 PM

Yeah Rick,ever?

Larry Bugg
04-17-2014, 08:35 PM

LOL, now you think a 25% water change is going to rid you of bacteria. What planet do you live on.

82 is ideal.

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 09:13 PM
82 is ideal. But I'll keep mines 85-86" until I feel they reached Max size. Just for the increase in appetite

John_Nicholson
04-17-2014, 09:43 PM
LOL.

-john

discus rookie
04-17-2014, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the information.
I always thought 87F was the best temp for growing out discus.
Should I grow out my discus at 82 then instead?
Or is 82 more for adults?
Thanks a lot.

beastroy
04-17-2014, 10:30 PM
LOL, now you think a 25% water change is going to rid you of bacteria. What planet do you live on.

82 is ideal.

let me make it more clear to you.....a minimum of 25% daily water changes will help prevent disease. to help get rid of bad bacteria and pathogen.....the bigger the water change the better.

Water change is the KEY. I do so many water change it make my body fit...sometimes 200% daily when I power feeding my discus.

beastroy
04-17-2014, 10:39 PM
Ideally you should be changing at least 50% daily. And any person that knows a bit about bacteria and science can/will tell you bacteria reproduce faster at higher temps. Ever wonder why they keep doctors' offices and hospitals so chilly? Just saying...

~Victoria

u comparing human being to a discus fish? I wonder do we humans have any bacteria in our system? show some respect to good bacteria without them fish wont be able to survive in the aquarium .

nc0gnet0
04-17-2014, 11:38 PM
let me make it more clear to you.....a minimum of 25% daily water changes will help prevent disease. to help get rid of bad bacteria and pathogen.....the bigger the water change the better.

Obviously, your understanding of sarcasm is about the same as your understanding of ideal temperatures to keep discus. Might I suggest you go brush up on binary fission, the effect warmer water has on the process in regards to common bacterial issues in aquarium fish, and toss in a touch of basic math, and you will be enlightened as to why people were laughing at your 25% water change daily keeps bacteria in check comment.

Most of us here are doing 2-4x that amount.

Oh, and just for the record, I have most likely spent more money on one pair of discus then you have your entire collection.

-Rick

Madaboutdiscus
04-17-2014, 11:48 PM
u comparing human being to a discus fish? I wonder do we humans have any bacteria in our system? show some respect to good bacteria without them fish wont be able to survive in the aquarium .

There is a very large difference between good bacteria and bad bacteria. The good bacteria live in your filter and some surfaces in your tank. The bad bacteria are the ones that infect your fish effectively killing them if you don't understand basic husbandry. As far as we humans yes we do have bacteria in our bodies and even ones that live on our skin GASP! They only override our immune system when, wait for it...Our immune system is knocked back by stress. There's all kinds of lovely bacteria that come out to play when that happens. So yes I can compare humans and fish here because when our immune systems are degraded due to stress the normal bacteria that make up our every day lives take over causing problems just like your fish. Your 25% does nothing for your fish other than stiff up the grime you left behind. But hey prove us all wrong show us your wonderfully healthy big fish that thrive at hot temps and mediocre water changes. Now I could go on on this subject all night but there's a saying "Never argue with a fool, he'll drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." That said good luck.

~Victoria

beastroy
04-17-2014, 11:51 PM
Obviously, your understanding of sarcasm is about the same as your understanding of ideal temperatures to keep discus. Might I suggest you go brush up on binary fission, the effect warmer water has on the process in regards to common bacterial issues in aquarium fish, and toss in a touch of basic math, and you will be enlightened as to why people were laughing at your 25% water change daily keeps bacteria in check comment.

Most of us here are doing 2-4x that amount.

Oh, and just for the record, I have most likely spent more money on one pair of discus then you have your entire collection.

-Rick

and what might that pair be huh...a red turk? lol...u basically had no idea where is the source of collection from do u? READ CAREFULLY BOUT WHAT I SAID BEFORE U TROLL MORE ON THIS FORUM.

Second Hand Pat
04-17-2014, 11:55 PM
A gentle warning...let's keep it civil.

yim11
04-18-2014, 12:07 AM
and what might that pair be huh...a red turk? lol...u basically had no idea where is the source of collection from do u? READ CAREFULLY BOUT WHAT I SAID BEFORE U TROLL MORE ON THIS FORUM.

LMFAO.

Ummm have you read the forum? Especially some of the posts from those that are causing your butthurt?

Let's stop this now by saying it like it is.

The many replies contradicting your info and comments are not to make you look a fool - you are doing a wonderful job of that by yourself, you need no help in that.

It's very important to many of us here to make sure bad info that is posted is quickly corrected. This ensures future hobbyists and members don't start off in a bad manner.

Your info was bad, it's been corrected by folks that have forgotten more about discus than you may ever know.

John_Nicholson
04-18-2014, 08:19 AM
I mean this in a friendly way but you should probably take your own advise. What you are doing is kind of like if a 6 grader managed to make straight A's for one term and then trying to tell Einstein that his theory of relativity was completely wrong because it causes white spots to appear on his discus........

Skip
04-18-2014, 09:31 AM
i think 83.384984689879098794989871016954091654904 degree F is the best Temp

Second Hand Pat
04-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Ok, I think everyone has made their point...hint, hint Skip

Tictok
04-20-2014, 12:53 PM
HTHs So glad I read this advise. I was told to keep my fish at 86 degrees when I had received discus from a sponsor here and they weren't eating well. I just assumed that this would be a better temp to keep them at long-term, which is probably not what he intended to convey. This just goes to show how the experienced cannot fill in every hole or scenario for the inexperienced. Thats why I read these posts - it fills in the blanks.

blazend
11-10-2014, 01:27 PM
82-84 is where i keep my babies at. I have had luck with that so i continue to do that. I just think people forget in nature the temp probably isn't regulated :/

But i agree we have more control so do it right. Fish are a learning process, do what works but educate yourself.

pcsb23
11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
82-84 is where i keep my babies at. I have had luck with that so i continue to do that. I just think people forget in nature the temp probably isn't regulated :/

But i agree we have more control so do it right. Fish are a learning process, do what works but educate yourself.
And no need for your last sentence which I have already removed.

allan
11-10-2014, 01:57 PM
my 10 cents worth keep them at the temp the experts on here recommend and if u want plants try some of these echinodorus argentinensis, echinodorus bleheri, hygrophila angusifolia, valis (i use the giant form) all in my planted show tank and all stand the elevated temps of the discus aquarium and seem to stand the large water changes needed to keep the fish :)

DISCUS STU
11-11-2014, 12:43 PM
There's a great deal of info. online that is either outdated or just plain wrong.

Some of the retails sites, especially for those selling dry goods and fish second, seem to have strange info.

82-84 f. is the way to go.

Rob&Lon
11-11-2014, 04:55 PM
We have our tank at about 85 degrees F. Fish seem to be loving it. We have a few java ferns and the rest of our plants are plastic. Other tank mates are neon and cardinal tetras, harlequin rasboras, a pair of blue rams and three corydoras. All are happy, healthy, and eat up a storm! Don't do 78. That is fine for a lot of other fish, but NOT discus.

Best of luck!

tonytheboss1
11-12-2014, 12:22 AM
:bandana: 85 / 86 has worked well for me. "T"

eye4get56
10-12-2016, 10:08 PM
Hello! I'm a newbie and reading all the information on this great site!

I purchased a large (225gal) tank and currently cycling the water and filter system. Things are looking great, but temperature and pH are a concern. I live in Thailand and it is currently the "cool" season. The water is averaging 84-85 degrees with a 4 inch cooling fan running 24/7. I am sure the temperature will increase when the summer season hits. It too expensive to air condition the room holding the tank. Water chillers are expensive here! I'm thinking about a DIY chiller but worried I'll damage the cooling lines drilling holes.

Here is my first question: Do I need to consider a chiller, if the water temperature might reach 88-90F?

My water supply is filtered (particulates and carbon filter) and averages a pH of 7 - 7.2. Just checked pH last night and it was 7.4-7.6.

Here is my second question: How much should I adjust the pH?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Filip
10-13-2016, 06:13 AM
Hello! I'm a newbie and reading all the information on this great site!

I purchased a large (225gal) tank and currently cycling the water and filter system. Things are looking great, but temperature and pH are a concern. I live in Thailand and it is currently the "cool" season. The water is averaging 84-85 degrees with a 4 inch cooling fan running 24/7. I am sure the temperature will increase when the summer season hits. It too expensive to air condition the room holding the tank. Water chillers are expensive here! I'm thinking about a DIY chiller but worried I'll damage the cooling lines drilling holes.

Here is my first question: Do I need to consider a chiller, if the water temperature might reach 88-90F?

My water supply is filtered (particulates and carbon filter) and averages a pH of 7 - 7.2. Just checked pH last night and it was 7.4-7.6.

Here is my second question: How much should I adjust the pH?

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong area.

Hi Bob and welcome .

Your temperature problem can be helped a bit with taking the tank lid off(if you have any) , decreasing the potential heat from the lights , agressive surface agitation - fountain like water pushing upwards , adding another 4 inch fan and other conventional methods .
And if you still can't go lower than 88 F. i think your discus will manage to keep up with this high temps for a while if you keep the water very fresh and clean and very well aerated with surface agitation.

As for your water , I think its perfect since its already carbon and micron prefiltered and your pH is stable and in good range .So maybe just ageing would be required but you don't have to adjust your PH .

eye4get56
10-13-2016, 10:30 PM
Thank you! I'm excited! I want to do things "right" but a chiller is expensive here! I plan to start off with some smaller (cheaper) tropical fish to see how they adjust. Once everything seems manageable I'll splurge on some discus.

Filip
10-16-2016, 04:12 PM
Thank you! I'm excited! I want to do things "right" but a chiller is expensive here! I plan to start off with some smaller (cheaper) tropical fish to see how they adjust. Once everything seems manageable I'll splurge on some discus.

Its better to start with discus first , and after a couple of months add other fish following the standard quarantine procedure described here on the begginers subforum.