PDA

View Full Version : water from planted tank

troysdiiscus
01-22-2013, 07:16 PM

Ok guys and girls, so here are the plants I removed from my 55 planted to BB. I used the water from the 55 to fill the 30 gallon planted tank. My ph is bout 6.6 in discus tank. Since i know plants use ammonia and nitrates and filter the water, its the same temp as my discus, I checked in planted tank, 0 ammonia and nitrates now and ph is 6.1. To save on water cause I use RO half tap in age barrel, When i syphon out the poop on first go, I can empty the water the plants are in and fill it with water after poop is gone and fill the planted tank with the disgarded water to filter again. Will this work? What would be things to watch out for. I know some people use plants in refugium tank systems, I think.

SMB2
01-23-2013, 01:20 AM
If you have Discus, they need fresh, clean, aged water...that is the response I expect you will see the most from this forum. People with planted tanks, planted refug. still have to do water changes.
Both the plants and Discus need the micro nutrients that come from water changes.
Not sure why the 30 gal has a drop in PH, how long has the 30 been running? Age of filter? Are you sure it has cycled?

troysdiiscus
01-23-2013, 10:29 AM
I took some water from the discus tank about half of the 15 gallon and the other half aged water. Water has been in the 30 gallon for about 4 to 5 days now and I took the one of the sponge filters from discus to put in the plant tank. But need to correct the ph reading in the plant tank, my girl took the reading while I was at work..lol not sure what she did but didnt do something right cause when I got home I did and ph actually rose to 7.3, maybe clay pots help with that, they were new. Do you think I should just keep doing like I am doing and keep them seperate? Thinking that is what I should do. Love to know your thoughts. thanks for reading.

SMB2
01-23-2013, 02:33 PM
Those are some healthy plants so I am sure they are hard to throw out. Personally, I would make the 30 a planted tank with different fish, and have the Discus tank as a separate project.