PDA

View Full Version : Growout questionnaire

ch.e.d.a.
01-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Hello SD,i'm thinking about getting discus fry so i have lots of questions,but please be patient.I'll be getting six to ten 3'' fry and my question is how big growout tank do i need?Is it better to have cube like tank or more rectangle like?Would 32g cube suffice(80% daily wc),or do i need bigger growout tank?While they are growing i'll set up a 88g show tank.Next,untill which size do i keep them in growout tank?And if i get six of 3'' size fry,and in a month or so get another batch of 2'' to 3'' can i put them all together in same growout tank?One more question and i'm done,i swear :D ,if maybe i get 4'' to 5'' size fish do i need a growout tank,or they're gonna be fine in 88g?

Poco
01-23-2013, 01:07 AM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?86009-Beginner-s-Guide-to-Getting-Started-with-Discus

Trier20
01-23-2013, 01:59 AM
I would probably with 10 and put them in a 55 about 3/4 full with a heater and a couple sponge filters. As they grow you can increase the amount of water in the tank. I suggest 1-90% WCs daily or 2-50% if you can swing it. If you get two small batches you'll need an additional tank for quarantine. And they will need to stay in there for 4-6 weeks. If you get one batch of 6-8 larger fish at 5+ inches you shouldn't need a grow out. Anything under 5 I would still gow them out to a minimum of 5". HTH

matt56
01-23-2013, 04:11 AM
Hello and welcome to the forum! Some good advice and a great link has been provided, all the questions you asked have an answer either in the stickies of this forum or in threads you can find by using the search engine :). A couple things I'll add is I started with a group of 9 3" discus in a 55 and from experience, be prepared for a bigger tank. At about 3 months since I got them I really needed a larger tank so I have a 90 but have yet to have the time to get it set up. I was surprised how fast they grow if you care for em right, my biggest 3 are at 5 inches, so about 2 inches in 3 1/2 months. Also I would recommend filling out the questionnaire, I feel like a lot of new discus keepers don't use it as much as they should. I filled it out and experienced members helped iron out a few things in my plan. http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?94348-Tank-Setup-Questionaire

ch.e.d.a.
01-23-2013, 05:28 PM
Thanks for quick answers,i'we read stickies and link above at least 2 times.I am following the forum for quite some time but first time posting,so i'we read bunch of treads on this topic but couldn't find right answers,someone says one thing and second,other and i got confused and had to ask for my self.Didn't want to fill questionnare until tanks are up and runing.So i'll go with 55g long,2 sponges and quarantine tank for second batch with 85g in the background readying for when they are at show size.One question sliped by,if the diference between two batches is 2 months can they grow in the same growout tank?

Trier20
01-23-2013, 05:42 PM
You can do anything you want to do LOL but I think the second batch will be at the bottom of the pecking order so there is a chance they wont be able to reach their best potential size. If you can get the second batch at a closer size within a half inch of the other batch that would be more practical

ch.e.d.a.
01-23-2013, 06:03 PM
Thats what i wanted to know,thanks.The market here in Serbia falls to few home breeders,they are good in quality but they aren't steady in quantity and u have to be lucky to get diversity of fry on same or similar size.And thats what im aiming for.Bigger or older fish is expensive for our market and its better feeling when u raise them to adulthood.Thanks for the info.