PDA

View Full Version : We'll leave the light on for ya. How long can I leave the light on?

rustybaker
01-24-2013, 11:57 AM
What's a good amount of time for the light to be on during the day? I know more light = more algae and bigger electric bills, but if that's not an issue for me, than is there any harm in leaving it on from 7:30am to 11pm?

I've had my light on a timer until just the other day when the ballast gave out. Just ordered a new T5 set up and plan to go back to my 4pm-11pm light on schedule, but until then I feel like it's better to have the light on all day than waking them up again at night when i get home.

Any thoughts or do discus not really care much about this?

John_Nicholson
01-24-2013, 12:12 PM
I once had the light on over my breeding rack for approximately 5 years.....

I leave a light on when a pair has fry. The light over my pairs right now has been on for about 4 months.

-john

Cosgrovb
01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
I leave my lights on. (Advice from ShinShin)

rustybaker
01-24-2013, 12:29 PM
Awesome, so I guess my question should have been... "do discus needs lights out for a healthy sleeping schedule" but i see the answer here points to no. So they will sleep with the lights on huh?

Cosgrovb
01-24-2013, 12:34 PM
I have more issues with freak outs due to lights going on and off. Therefore, I leave them on. Every time I go look at the fish there is no waiting period for them to look normal and for the light shock to go away!

rustybaker
01-24-2013, 12:41 PM
Wow, I mean that's a great point, because yea there's that freak out period before you can approach the tank and feed them, but is there anyone from the other school of thought willing to chime in? I would love to get on board with this lights always on, but I feel like this could add stress? create a more hostile tank due to restlessness? Require more feeding? I don't know. let's here some other thoughts here.

Cosgrovb
01-24-2013, 12:43 PM
My ears are open but my kind is made up! Lol.

rustybaker
01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
haha, hey man not trying to change your ways, just looking to see what other people try as well. I might just as well try doing what you're doing for a while too.

Larry Bugg
01-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Well I am one that doesn't believe they need total darkness to sleep. How often is it completely dark in the wild? Occasionally, but normally the moon and stars are out. I leave a overhead light on in the fish room 24/7 but the individual lights for the tanks are on from 6PM till 11PM for my benefit, not theirs. I have no doubt that they would be happier with just the overhead light all the time. I also believe having some light on all the time helps keep them from spooking and like John I think the breeding pairs need the light on 24/7.

Cosgrovb
01-24-2013, 01:09 PM
haha, hey man not trying to change your ways, just looking to see what other people try as well. I might just as well try doing what you're doing for a while too.

I know. I was kind of joking! :)

discus6628
01-24-2013, 05:00 PM
my tank is in the living room. during the day, it has daylight come in from the window therefore, I only have the light on between 6pm-12pm. I also have hallway light on from 6pm to 6am, which will shine some light to the tank. I guess between 12am-6am would be little light for them. I notice when little light is on, they tend to come out spooking more around the tank.