PDA

View Full Version : Growth Rate

Tharr
01-24-2013, 12:31 PM
How fast does a discus continue to grow after reaching 4in to continue to 5, 6 or 7in under optimum conditions?
Also, how long does it take them to color up fully or at what size do they?
Just curious..........:D

jbree13
01-24-2013, 12:51 PM
From what I have heard discus will grow up to 12 months of age, and from 12-18 months growth is slowed, mostly the discus filling out (getting nice and fat)

Tharr
01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
But then what is the age to size comparison?

matt56
01-24-2013, 01:15 PM
Mine are at 5 inches at about 6-7 months I'm not sure whether that is a nice or slow growth rate but I expect it take them 3 months or so for em to reach adult size.

troweler
01-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Mine are at 5 inches at about 6-7 months I'm not sure whether that is a nice or slow growth rate but I expect it take them 3 months or so for em to reach adult size.That is really good mine reach that about 9 month. You get conflicting reports about growth, some say they never stop growing they just slow down a lot

troweler
01-24-2013, 05:27 PM
The magic 8ins is what to aim for :p

Tharr
02-11-2013, 07:55 AM
Just measured my guy recently, he was just a little bit below 4in in the end of Dec and at the end of Jan, he was 4.5in.
Is that good growth or is there better?

Fundulopanchax
02-11-2013, 11:24 AM
As a person who grows them at a "relaxed rate" with 80-90% water change once per day (unless I am on business for a day or two over which they get constant drip change of about 20% per day so not much-my wife feeds them very lightly twice per day on those days), and 3-4 times per day feeding including flakes, beef heart/seafood mix, FDBW every day, and occasional adult brine shrimp which act like prunes for pig-like eaters and keep them from bloating. I have found that pigeon blood go from 3 inches to 5 inches in about 2 -2.5 months. They start putting on thickness at about 4.5 inches and then linear growth is a bit slower but they bulk up considerably going to 6 inches over another 1-1.5 month and then slowing a bit to 7 inches. Mine then slow quite a bit reaching (not all of them) 8 inches or close in another 3 months or so. I have found that most non-pigeon blood grow more slowly than that and some of the colorful strains dont get past 6 inches, at least for me-I am sure this depends upon strain since F1/F2 wild discus for me grow slowly but hit very large size over 7 inches after 18 months or so.

Having said this, I have 3 elderly Blue Diamonds that "stopped" growing at about 6 inches after I had them close to a year, but over the past 5 years have crept up to just over 7 inches - at a rate that was not perceptable to me, but I remeasured after a friend from Japan who had not seen them for a couple of years remarked on their growth at his last visit.

Ron

Skip
02-11-2013, 12:06 PM
The magic 8ins is what to aim for :p

i would rather pay for that fish.. :)

Just measured my guy recently, he was just a little bit below 4in in the end of Dec and at the end of Jan, he was 4.5in.
Is that good growth or is there better?

post a pic of the fish.. that might help ya..