PDA

View Full Version : cloudy amd white in ageing barrel

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 01:12 AM
I have a question in regards to my new ageing barrel. I setup the barrel installed 2 air stones as well as a power head to circulate the water I have noticed the walls of the barrel are becoming white as well as the water being cloudy. How do I take care of this problem? Is it caused from the oils in the plastic? I used a 35 gallon commercial grades brute rubbermaid garbage can. This can was purchased new. I have already removed all the water and scrubbed the can again and refilled it. I just checked it today and I still h abe the same issue. Im lost.

TNT77
01-25-2013, 01:14 AM
Are you adding prime or any kind of dechlor to the tank while aging?

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 01:27 AM
Are you adding prime or any kind of dechlor to the tank while aging?

Im adding a ph down that is a liquid form and is a phospric acid.

TNT77
01-25-2013, 01:44 AM
Why are you altering your ph? Do you have any ammonia from your tap?

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 01:50 AM
No ammonia no nitrite, nitrate. My ph from my water spicket afer the Inline filter is 7.7p. Should I stop messing with the ph. I have always kept it at 6.2. Doesnt a higher ph cause more peppering in the fish as well as darke colors.

TNT77
01-25-2013, 02:04 AM
No ammonia no nitrite, nitrate. My ph from my water spicket afer the Inline filter is 7.7p. Should I stop messing with the ph. I have always kept it at 6.2. Doesnt a higher ph cause more peppering in the fish as well as darke colors.
High ph doesn't. An inconsistent ph will stress the fish causing peppering. I wouldnt alter your ph imo.

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 03:12 AM
High ph doesn't. An inconsistent ph will stress the fish causing peppering. I wouldnt alter your ph imo.

I giess I will have to leave my ph whe re it is. I thought the higher the ph the worse the discus woild be.

Chicago Discus
01-25-2013, 03:22 AM
I add prime to my aging tanks while they are aging and never have had an issue........Josie

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 03:37 AM
I take it that is the cause of the peppering in my discus because of inconsisrant ph.

TNT77
01-25-2013, 03:41 AM
I take it that is the cause of the peppering in my discus because of inconsisrant ph.
A stable ph is the best ph. And yes that will contribute to the cause.

Chicago Discus
01-25-2013, 05:23 AM
A stable ph is the best ph. And yes that will contribute to the cause.

+1

Jeff O
01-25-2013, 11:02 AM
I have super clean pigeon based fish and my ph is 8.5 out of the tap. I only use RO water for my pairs.
-Jeff

Dubiadiscus
01-25-2013, 05:51 PM
I have super clean pigeon based fish and my ph is 8.5 out of the tap. I only use RO water for my pairs.
-Jeff
Jeff im glad to hear that someone else has a higher ph then me. If i where to install an RO unit will that keep my ph at a consistent 7? I do have a inline filter before my water spicket and the spicket is also before the water softenier. Also TNT77 did mention that a more stable ph will not create some much peppering, but i was also told that the peppering is also a dominance thing is this true?