PDA

View Full Version : K1 media filters..

JonC
01-25-2013, 02:40 PM
I’m going to pick up some K1 media and make one of those cool moving media filters.
I just replaced my canister with two sponge filters last night. They are new and have no bio built up. Should I keep the sponge filters or can I get away with two of the K1 filters?

chaoslite
01-25-2013, 02:48 PM
Is there any reason you did not leave the canister running? Was it already cycled? If so you should have left it on the tank. It would have helped to cycle your sponges. I have sponges running in most of my tank even though I run K1 media. You never know when you might have need of a cycled sponge.

Mishka

Altum Nut
01-25-2013, 02:59 PM
Is there any reason you did not leave the canister running? Was it already cycled? If so you should have left it on the tank. It would have helped to cycle your sponges. I have sponges running in most of my tank even though I run K1 media. You never know when you might have need of a cycled sponge.

Mishka

+1

JonC
01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
real worried about the cycle on my tank it get to daily WC. it may take a little more time but they will cycle. my problem is I'm not sure if I can get away with running just the K-1 media and not the sponge filter

Discoholic
01-25-2013, 05:05 PM
I would be more worried about the nitrogen cycle than what filter media you use. Once your filter media is cycled and you have made it over the nitrite spike and have a healthy colony of nitrobactor and other organisms that thrive on the ammonium, it doesn't matter if you use the foam sponge filter, the plastic (K1 media, beads..etc), sand (fluidized bed filter), or any other suitable material of adequate size. If your sponge filter isn't currently harboring any beneficial organisms it won't make a difference if you use it or not.

rdiscus
01-25-2013, 05:37 PM
Whatever filter you are running, don't take off and replace the new one ... If you plan to replace it, run the new and the old one as same time for week ... then remove the old one

Poco
01-25-2013, 05:52 PM
Whatever filter you are running, don't take off and replace the new one ... If you plan to replace it, run the new and the old one as same time for week ... then remove the old one

+1

chaoslite
01-25-2013, 06:23 PM
Your are probably going to cycle the tank all over again so make sure you are testing your water. I wouldn't be surprised if you started from scratch.

Mishka

TCT
01-25-2013, 07:29 PM
I'm using both K1 filters and cycled sponge filters in my tanks.

DLock3d
01-25-2013, 08:01 PM
I've been using just "k1 filters" for about 4 months with no issues to speak of. My tanks aren't very heavily stocked though.

JonC
01-25-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm really trying to find out if I could get rid of the sponge filter and just use the F1 filters..

chaoslite
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Yes you can, but leave everything in there until the K1 is cycled.

Mishka

camuth8
01-25-2013, 09:05 PM
I'd keep the sponge filter in there. I like getting my water circulating and clean, but not super fast. You don't need it though.

Poco
01-25-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replys. I'm really trying to find out if I could get rid of the sponge filter and just use the F1 filters..

I think your major concern should be the ammonia and nitrite spike that you will get due to uncycled tank.

As far as the K1 is concerned it can replace the sponge filters but if I were you I will run both until your tank is cycled and then try to remove the sponge filter (freeze it instead of rinsing it out) and test the water parameters after 24hrs and if there is no ammonia or nitrite then you are good. HTH

Chicago Discus
01-25-2013, 09:33 PM

You can just use the moving bed filter but you need to wait until the moving bed is seeded it usually takes about 6 to 8 weeks to get good and seeded I would leave the other filters going until the moving bed is good and grey. Then slowly start shutting down the other filters and sponge filters. Even though the bed has its own air source I would still have some kind of air going in the tank.......Josie