PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning intake sponges

Elliots
01-27-2013, 09:06 AM
Does anyone know if I clean my intake sponges in tap water (With chlorine) how long it takes for the BB in the sponge to regenerate?
I have a planted tank with pool filter sand and two AQ filters. I clean my sponges in tank water daily and I have a large bioload. I do not change water daily. I usually change about every other day.
It would be much easier to clean them in tap water when I do not change water. How about cleaning them every other day in tap water treated with Prime?

Second Hand Pat
01-27-2013, 09:14 AM
Elliots, if you clean your sponges in tap water with chlorine the BB will be killed. I have seem here most folks recommend rinsing the sponges in tank water. Now if you are referring to the pre-filter added to the inlet tube of a HOB filter such as a AC filter those could be rinsed in tap since the pre-filter is not your main source of BB. I would wonder if the final rinse should be in tank water (not the tank itself) to rid the pre-filter of any remaining chlorine.

Poco
01-27-2013, 11:14 AM
Elliots, if you clean your sponges in tap water with chlorine the BB will be killed. I have seem here most folks recommend rinsing the sponges in tank water. Now if you are referring to the pre-filter added to the inlet tube of a HOB filter such as a AC filter those could be rinsed in tap since the pre-filter is not your main source of BB. I would wonder if the final rinse should be in tank water (not the tank itself) to rid the pre-filter of any remaining chlorine.

+1 in a rush if I forget to rinse the prefilter with the tank water I do rinse it with tap water, Safe/prime will deal with the chlorine.

Bud Smith
01-27-2013, 12:13 PM

+1

discuspaul
01-27-2013, 02:08 PM

If it's the pre-filter being referred to - this is what Ive been doing for years. A real good hard squeeze after rinsing in tap water would leave no measurable chlorine, imo.

Elliots
01-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I was refering to the pre filter sponge. thanks for the answers gang!!