PDA

View Full Version : Shelf life of RO membranes?

tolga
01-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Hello everyone. I have obtained a 100 GPD RO membrane (TF-182-100) approximately 3 years ago. It's still in its sealed package. It has been kept at room temperature as opposed to the fridge. Even though it is sealed it appears to be dry. The question is, can I use this membrane as it is or should I get a new one? Thanks.

DiscusLoverJeff
01-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Here is some information for you. The membranes are always dry when shipped.

Membrane Storage
Store membranes in a cool area out of direct sunlight. Membrane storage temperature limits are 22°F-113°F (-5.5°C to 45°C)

Preserve in a solution of 2% AM-88 Membrane Preservative, and 20% AM-225 Glycerine. This will not prevent freezing below 32°F, but the crystals are soft and the membrane is not damaged.

Keep new elements in original packaging.

Examine the preservative in preserved elements every 3 months. If not clear, remove and re-preserve. The pH of the preservative should not drop below 3.

Storage time for preserved elements is 6 months to 1 year.

Storage time for dry (new) elements is unlimited, and these can withstand temperatures below 22°F.

tolga
01-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Thank you jeff.

Buckeye Field Supply
01-29-2013, 04:40 AM
MOST membranes are shipped dry - and as long as your's was dry to begin with, you'll be fine. As always, check the performance of the membrane with your TDS meter after you install it. Assuming it was shipped to you dry originally, discard the water produced by the membrane for the first 10 minutes, or as otherwise directed by instructions printed on the packaging. Don't run the water that comes out of the membrane during the rinse period through any subsequent filters (e.g., DI stage) - send it straight to the drain. You can do this easily by temporarily removing your DI cartridge.

Russ