PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Large Proven Fire Red Male

Jeff O
01-29-2013, 11:49 AM
I have a beautiful female fire red and I'm looking to get a male for her, I would get one from Hans but unfortunately he is out of stock ATM I tried to introduce a large male valentine with her, she quickly rejected him... Feel free to pm me if you have one for sale.
Thanks, Jeff

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 04:16 PM
A valentine would not breed well anyway. Hans has large adult male Fire Red's.... If he doesnt want to split the pairs (that cant happen for everyone obviously) then he has another order being made shortly so I would just be patient if you want an adult. I rarely see females reject males though, did you introduce him into her domain? Because it can be simply fixed sometimes by introducing them as a pair, I bag mine as if Im going to ship them, then take them back out and into the tank, basically causing them to start from scratch. Id also make sure you truly know you have a female.

Chicago Discus
01-29-2013, 04:27 PM
I bag mine as if Im going to ship them, then take them back out and into the tank

thats seems like a little over board just put both of them in a different tank.......Josie

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 04:49 PM
A bucket is the same principle.... Nobody said tie the bags and put oxygen in them. The idea is to introduce the pair together, not with one being established in the tank then throwing in another adult. Point remains that they will not be good to breed against each other but that isn't really the point.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

TNT77
01-29-2013, 05:14 PM
A bucket is the same principle.... Nobody said tie the bags and put oxygen in them. The idea is to introduce the pair together, not with one being established in the tank then throwing in another adult. Point remains that they will not be good to breed against each other but that isn't really the point.

You really cant say that without knowing the genetics of the fish..Ive seen some red valentines sold that are white based and some that are pigeon based. Valentines yes are red/white based and would not be a good cross but it does not mean that a pigeon based fish was not sold under that name.
Jeff, Hans does have another shipment coming in on Friday so if you just give him a heads up he will help you.

Jeff O
01-29-2013, 05:50 PM
A valentine would not breed well anyway. Hans has large adult male Fire Red's.... If he doesnt want to split the pairs (that cant happen for everyone obviously) then he has another order being made shortly so I would just be patient if you want an adult. I rarely see females reject males though, did you introduce him into her domain? Because it can be simply fixed sometimes by introducing them as a pair, I bag mine as if Im going to ship them, then take them back out and into the tank, basically causing them to start from scratch. Id also make sure you truly know you have a female.

I surely did, I put a divider in the tank and let them sit for awhile before removing it. She is a proven female.
-Jeff

Jeff O
01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
You really cant say that without knowing the genetics of the fish..Ive seen some red valentines sold that are white based and some that are pigeon based. Valentines yes are red/white based and would not be a good cross but it does not mean that a pigeon based fish was not sold under that name.
Jeff, Hans does have another shipment coming in on Friday so if you just give him a heads up he will help you.

Thanks Tara, I will send him an email
-Jeff

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 05:52 PM
A true valentine is not pigeon based, as you said. So yes, I do feel comfortable completely in telling you that if you have "red valentine" that is truly a red valentine, your breeding two relatively incompatible fish together. Easy way to tell.... Breed them and I'll tell you within two weeks...

Regardless of the ridiculous "pile on" over valid points about breeding (assuming you can tell what a pigeon is). The point remains that a good way of pairing is to make sure the fish are not introduced where one fish is in a tank and comfortable prior to the other, unless you are introducing a particularly aggressive male. Also the point remains that Hans (as stated in my first post) has fire red males, and has a new shipment coming in. Now, please, no more something over nothing. Nobody that has replied thus far in this thread is ignorant, so let's not being the worst of each other.

Jeff O
01-29-2013, 06:17 PM
A true valentine is not pigeon based, as you said. So yes, I do feel comfortable completely in telling you that if you have "red valentine" that is truly a red valentine, your breeding two relatively incompatible fish together. Easy way to tell.... Breed them and I'll tell you within two weeks...

Regardless of the ridiculous "pile on" over valid points about breeding (assuming you can tell what a pigeon is). The point remains that a good way of pairing is to make sure the fish are not introduced where one fish is in a tank and comfortable prior to the other, unless you are introducing a particularly aggressive male. Also the point remains that Hans (as stated in my first post) has fire red males, and has a new shipment coming in. Now, please, no more something over nothing. Nobody that has replied thus far in this thread is ignorant, so let's not being the worst of each other.

I emailed hans 8 days ago asking about a male, as you stated yes he does have pairs, and he did not want to seperate them now that I know he will be getting a shipment in I shall buy it from him. Im not looking for any arguments or debates, Just a male fire red.
-Jeff

Chicago Discus
01-29-2013, 06:22 PM

I just suggested to introduce both fish into a separate tank thats unfamiliar and mutual ground, My real opinion is that pairs can usually work out there differences and don't need to much interference from us. Bagging both fish up and adding unneeded stress and putting them back into a tank just seemed a little ridiculous to me but hey you learn something new everyday. On that note I'm leaving this thread.....Josie

cjr8420
01-29-2013, 06:35 PM

hey drew remember this http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?96430-What-kind-of-discus-do-I-have now u are speaking on absolutes and
im pretty sure valentines have pb genes in them even the white based ones although

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 08:04 PM
Nobody claiming perfection, and I suppose I misunderstood Josie no worries. We are recommending the same thing, put them on neutral ground and things stand better odds. I do agree that it is rare that my pairs do not work out their differences and start spawning no matter what, but each fish is different. The principle I was recommending is the same as what's taken for aggressive cichlids in general, separate, allow the more tame to get comfortable, add the more aggressive. I don't find bagging a fish or putting it in a bucket to be stressful unless done regularly. That's why most all of our fish start eating right out of the box.

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 08:06 PM
That thread was ridiculous to a degree, I believe that was worked out.. we were all saying it was a pigeon based fish.

DiscusDrew
01-29-2013, 08:19 PM
While the white base is extremely dominant cjr, I don't think I've ever seen a fish carry a pigeon gene without it being incredibly clear. Such as the dark Angel for instance. I'd be interested to know if you are correct because it would astonish me but I don't think that is the case. Doesn't mean I'm right, I just don't THINK that is the case

cjr8420
01-30-2013, 01:21 AM
That thread was ridiculous to a degree, I believe that was worked out.. we were all saying it was a pigeon based fish.

i know im just messin with ya :p

While the white base is extremely dominant cjr, I don't think I've ever seen a fish carry a pigeon gene without it being incredibly clear. Such as the dark Angel for instance. I'd be interested to know if you are correct because it would astonish me but I don't think that is the case. Doesn't mean I'm right, I just don't THINK that is the case

alot of discus that have only red and white colors have some kind of PB genes or are PBs.alot of goldens to.like a millennium gold.i actually was thinking of a different strain thinking it was a valentine so im not as strong on my thought as b4 but just due to to it having red and white colors ill stick some PB lol.