PDA

View Full Version : TDS reading

Tommy Saville
01-31-2013, 07:56 PM
My display tank's water is 182. Is that OK?

Trier20
01-31-2013, 08:49 PM
I wouldn't worry about TDS unless you're breeding, but yes it's fine. My tap is 226.

pastry
01-31-2013, 09:07 PM
Tommy, Brandon is right on, but I've sort of learned on here (from my own questions like yours) that the TDS in your tank can be obselete. It's really all about the TDS of the water going into the tank (measure the TDS of the water that you plan to put into it). I could have a reading of 150 out of my tap and 150 in my tank without changing the water for several days but the difference is "what makes up" that 150 in either source. Are you able to give us a TDS reading of the water that you put into the tank (before putting it in)?

Also, please anyone contradict me if I'm wrong. It won't hurt my feelings. If anything else, I'm always learning on here and hoping that I've understood info others have passed. --Elliot

Tommy Saville
02-03-2013, 05:02 PM
Tommy, Brandon is right on, but I've sort of learned on here (from my own questions like yours) that the TDS in your tank can be obselete. It's really all about the TDS of the water going into the tank (measure the TDS of the water that you plan to put into it). I could have a reading of 150 out of my tap and 150 in my tank without changing the water for several days but the difference is "what makes up" that 150 in either source. Are you able to give us a TDS reading of the water that you put into the tank (before putting it in)?

Also, please anyone contradict me if I'm wrong. It won't hurt my feelings. If anything else, I'm always learning on here and hoping that I've understood info others have passed. --Elliot

Water going in has TDS 200 before I've heated it, overnight. I'll check again tomorrow, see if it alters before putting it in the tank.

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2013, 05:11 PM
Tommy, your TDS should not change with aging and heating. Your PH might change with aeration while aging.

Tommy Saville
02-03-2013, 08:35 PM
Tommy, your TDS should not change with aging and heating. Your PH might change with aeration while aging.
I don't aerate the storage butt, but the pH goes from 7.6 to 8.4 if I leave it more than 24 hours. If I aerate it, the change happens faster so I stopped doing it. The butt holds 100 litres, the tanks (I have 2) are 200 litres, so I can't water-change more than 50% at one time. I usually change one tank, refill the butt, heat to 86F overnight and do the other tank the next day. Each tank is changed every other day. Dependent on how the fish look, I often do a 25% change to both tanks in the same day.

Second Hand Pat
02-03-2013, 08:40 PM
Tommy, the ph change will still happen with the areation in the tanks.

Tommy Saville
02-04-2013, 07:19 AM
TDS of the storage butt is 206 this morning and pH 7.4

Tommo
02-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Hi Tommy, sent you a PM

Paul

Tommy Saville
02-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi Tommy, sent you a PM

Paul
When and where to? Facebook?? Didn't get it....

Tommo
02-05-2013, 07:17 AM
When and where to? Facebook?? Didn't get it....

Your PMs on this site Tommy - go to the top of this page and on Notifications click the downward arrow and select Inbox

Paul