PDA

View Full Version : What to look for when buying juveniles?

Laconic
02-01-2013, 05:12 PM
Hi. I am planning on buying my 2nd batch of Discus and will be looking at juveniles to save some cash. The discus university section of this site and any 'what not to buy' tells you to avoid bad eye ratios and pointy faces. Problem is, almost every small discus I see (even sponsors') are not even close to a 1/7 eye ratio or a nice round face on their smaller discus.

Is this normal? Will they grow into the desired quality if they are raised correctly but start out small with a lower eye ratio and pointier face? Thanks

lipadj46
02-01-2013, 06:33 PM
Yes juvies have a larger eye and are more pointy. Your best bet is to order from a sponsor or a trusted home breeder with a god reputatipn here like mmorris

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

star rider
02-01-2013, 06:43 PM

here are some I got from Kenny..not the greatest picture..attest my not so good picture taking skills.

some are more round and the eye IMO is a good size compared to LFS Discus I have seen.. they pretty much look like mini adults

John_Nicholson
02-01-2013, 06:49 PM
Personally I would recommend Hans.

-john

LizStreithorst
02-01-2013, 07:29 PM
And I'd recommend Mike Beals.

warblad79
02-01-2013, 07:50 PM
look no further, We have some many reputable sponsor here and no need to worry about quality either because they bring top quality fish.

PAR23
02-01-2013, 07:55 PM
will be looking at juveniles to save some cash.

Much cheaper to purchase adults in the long run than raising juvies to adulthood. Many factors to consider when growing them out. Even with the best care possible, juvies may not turn out to be what you had hoped for. With adults, you know exactly what you are getting.