PDA

View Full Version : Eheim pro II canister with built in heater

Wjmulder
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Anyone use them? Are they any good?

Wjmulder
02-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I guess I!ll elaborate, I found a guy on Craigslist with a clean 75 gallon tank and 2 canisters for sale. I bought the tank pending my inspection (was asking $175, paying $35!) The canisters are eheim pro II with built in heater for $95, and eheim classic 2217 for $85. The seller used both on the tank which was heavily planted with 5 discus. They both appear to be well taken care of and in talking with the seller he seems knowledgable. The seller said the classic filters water better, and the pro II heater works but is finicky to get set. I really didn't want to buy both canisters and I like the idea of the heater in the canister.

Any thoughts? Please?

nc0gnet0
02-02-2013, 11:14 AM
As much as everyone on here likes Ehiems, the two pro II filters I have had each developed leaks. I can't speak to how well the in the canister heater works, but how easy will it be to replace? If the filter fails or flow becomes restriced, you now have loss of heat to deal with too. I guess this is fine as long as you have back-ups.

Rick

Wjmulder
02-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the info Rick, I have plenty of back-up heat and filtration but I don't want to worry about leaks. I read great reviews on the classic but couldn't find much on the pro II. I can get a new classic for $120 so I intend to negotiate the filter price as I did the tank, the pro II runs around $300 new so I thought I better check into it due to the bargain basement listing price.