PDA

View Full Version : Red Nostrils

BoiseDiscusGuy
02-02-2013, 06:23 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Red spot on each of the nostril areas. Purchased fish at 2.5 in. Fish was delivered like this and was the only fish in the group that exhibited this condition. Was hoping that it was just from shipping and would get better with time and good WC's. this fish is now 4+ in. and its gotten slightly worse.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
No symptoms. Eats great, and acts totally normal. Very inquisitive and interactive with me and other fish.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Suspected bacterial infection. Treated with Kanamycin (300mg per 5 gal) and Furan 2 (30mg/12.5mg per 5 gal) for a duration total of 6 days (3 wc's and redoses every 2 days.) No improvement of condition

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
125 gal. running with various Discus for approx. 2.5 years. This particular group of 13 fish have been in this tank since Oct. 2012 and are currently 4+ in.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Change 55 gal. every day with aged tap water. Tank is BB

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _82____

- ph __7.3___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading _0___

- nitrate reading __5__

- well water _N___

- municipal water __Y__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No

Sorry for the poor quality pics
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/carphunter420/IMG_20130202_023907_zps8cebb8ea.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk184/carphunter420/IMG_20130202_023342_zpsfbe14d02.jpg

J MCKINLEY
02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
The Red spot on each of the nostril areas is from pecking at other discus, it's the same as nosebleeds for people. All discus get that from time to time, it just shows up more on light color fish. notting to worry about.

camuth8
02-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Doesn't affect the fish at all.

Chicago Discus
02-02-2013, 01:49 PM
The Red spot on each of the nostril areas is from pecking at other discus, it's the same as nosebleeds for people. All discus get that from time to time, it just shows up more on light color fish. notting to worry about.

I respectfully disagree I have had some experience with this I think it’s a mild sinus infection I have only seen this with imported fish I believe that its caused from differences in water from where they were raised. Also I believe that it has no ill affect on the fish but it is unsightly, in some cases it will go away on its own.......Josie

Bill63SG
02-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I agree with Josie.

Wes
02-02-2013, 10:22 PM
I have 2 albinos, one has had it since I got the a year ago. No ill effects.
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n622/xeriod/fish001.jpg

Dogvet06
02-02-2013, 11:02 PM
My shooting star has had it from day one also. Other than not growing its fine health wise ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BoiseDiscusGuy
02-02-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks all. Its definitely NOT from pecking. Its more like what Josie mentioned. I just dont understand why the antibiotics did not improve the condition. The fish is doing great and growing like a weed. It just is very unsightly and hope it doesnt pose any problems down the road.

ashtricks
02-03-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Josie,
I am having the same problem with my golden diamond. The blue diamond and shooting stars, it isn't visible. Will they get used to my water conditions any time?

I respectfully disagree I have had some experience with this I think it’s a mild sinus infection I have only seen this with imported fish I believe that its caused from differences in water from where they were raised. Also I believe that it has no ill affect on the fish but it is unsightly, in some cases it will go away on its own.......Josie

Wonky
02-06-2013, 09:53 PM
My red melon has the same thing BUT only after eating then it goes away about 5 mins later, Red food makes it more prominent.