PDA

View Full Version : Discus being real picky about food!! Plz Advise!

farzadkavari
02-02-2013, 08:05 PM
About 3 week ago I added 3 adult Discus to my 90 gallon tank. They are all doing great, however the biggest one which is about 7" is not eating anything but blood worms. They other two are eating my home-made beef heart food and black worms. How do you I get my BIG discus to eat my beef-heart mix and black worms? I have tried starving him up to 3 days and that has not worked. He is still being picky about the food and eating blood worms only! Please advise on how to get him to eat other foods which is a more complete diet for him.

Thanks

MaiaDee
02-02-2013, 08:49 PM
Don't feed him bloodworms. Discus can go a really long time without food, he'll cave if you don't offer him his candy.

farzadkavari
02-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Don't feed him bloodworms. Discus can go a really long time without food, he'll cave if you don't offer him his candy.

Ok will do but how long can starve him before putting him in real danger?

MaiaDee
02-02-2013, 08:55 PM
As long as he is healthy to begin with, he will eat what you offer before he starves.

PAR23
02-02-2013, 10:01 PM
You can ask the seller what it was being fed. As above, healthy fish will never starve to death.

pauline
02-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I got my discus a little over two weeks ago. They only wanted bloodworms but I would only offer them what I wanted them to eat. No bloodworms. It took a full week for them to decide they were hungry enough to eat what I gave them. Now they are little pigs but I still don't give them bloodworms.

farzadkavari
02-03-2013, 01:16 AM
You can ask the seller what it was being fed. As above, healthy fish will never starve to death.

He mostly gave them beef hear mix and blood worms. But his beef heart mix was a bit different than mine.

Cullymoto
02-03-2013, 02:31 AM
Before I left on a holiday (10 day) my kids wouldnt eat any dry foods at all.
I set up an auto feeder for cichlid dry foods and left on my holiday, come home and they all now go after the dry foods. Even after getting back to normal feeding habits, they still have their taste for the dry stuff. Should have done that to them sooner.

Discus-Hans
02-05-2013, 08:37 PM
Congratulations you just won the most stupid idea post for 2013, I'm sure nobody can come with a more crazier idea the whole year.

Now what if your Discus wouldn't have eaten the food???? and your auto feeder is dumping food for 10 days in your tank and you're on vacation......

You just got stinking lucky,

Hans

Before I left on a holiday (10 day) my kids wouldnt eat any dry foods at all.
I set up an auto feeder for cichlid dry foods and left on my holiday, come home and they all now go after the dry foods. Even after getting back to normal feeding habits, they still have their taste for the dry stuff. Should have done that to them sooner.

discus6628
02-05-2013, 08:48 PM
Totally agree. I feed mine with new spectrum, bh flake and tetra bit. I always notice they leave the spectrum food left. Within a day, i see food on the BB. Can't imagine it is 10 days

Congratulations you just won the most stupid idea post for 2013, I'm sure nobody can come with a more crazier idea the whole year.

Now what if your Discus wouldn't have eaten the food???? and your auto feeder is dumping food for 10 days in your tank and you're on vacation......

Hans

Trier20
02-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Starve them for 2-3 weeks and then start throwing what you want them to eat in there. They will eat it eventually.

farzadkavari
02-06-2013, 09:29 PM
After staving him for 5 days he is now starting to eat the food lightly.

Cullymoto
02-07-2013, 05:44 AM
Ouch.
Yet another example of why many simply dont post on this forum. There are too many people here looking to bully, I was trying to show the OP that his fish would eat, and not starve (post #3) But thank you very much for your opinion, and of coarse not helping the OP at all. My sincerest apologies for sharing my experience, wont ever happen again.

Cullymoto
02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
This still has me pissed off.
You know what would have happened if they didnt eat the food?
Maybe the Giant filter I run would have had to get the food!? Perhaps the Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate scrubbers I put into my filter would have to take care of the breaking down organic compounds. Or just maybe the person I had come over to check on my place might have actually had to do a water change - Egad!
Get all the facts before you go shitting on someone's head, jerk.
Hey discuss 6628. You got something brown on your nose... Maybe hans would like that back.

Allwin
02-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Starve them for 2-3 weeks and then start throwing what you want them to eat in there. They will eat it eventually.

Pity on those :fish: :fish: 's, how about starving them for a day and increasing the temperature 2 degrees up? i had luck with this..

sammy
02-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Maybe the Giant filter I run would have had to get the food!? Perhaps the Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate scrubbers I put into my filter would have to take care of the breaking down organic compounds. Or just maybe the person I had come over to check on my place might have actually had to do a water change - Egad!
Hey discuss 6628. You got something brown on your nose... Maybe hans would like that back.
That is an awesome response!

Discus-Hans
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM

Are you calling me a "jerk"

I'm glad I pissed you off, so much that you at least gave a little more information as just dump in 10 days flake food in your tank.

How can we get all the facts if you don't give them in your.........advice????

Smart a$$

Hans

Trier20
02-08-2013, 11:31 PM
Ouch.
Yet another example of why many simply dont post on this forum. There are too many people here looking to bully, I was trying to show the OP that his fish would eat, and not starve (post #3) But thank you very much for your opinion, and of coarse not helping the OP at all. My sincerest apologies for sharing my experience, wont ever happen again.

To all do respect my good sir all you stated in your first post was you left and put an auto feeder on the tank. You did not give us any other info about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate scrubber or that you had someone fish sitting. Did Hans step over a line? Yes. Did you? Yes. When given only part of the fact we are to assume the rest. I assumed the exact same thing as Hans. Just be more thorough next time. Still not best idea unless your fish sitter is doing daily WCs while you're gone.

sammy
02-08-2013, 11:34 PM
To all do respect my good sir all you stated in your first post was you left and put an auto feeder on the tank. You did not give us any other info about ammonia, nitrite and nitrate scrubber or that you had someone fish sitting. Did Hans step over a line? Yes. Did you? Yes. When given only part of the fact we are to assume the rest. I assumed the exact same thing as Hans. Just be more thorough next time. Still not best idea unless your fish sitter is doing daily WCs while you're gone.
+1 ...but the response was MINT!

sammy
02-08-2013, 11:37 PM
Ouch.
Don't be bothered by anybody here. Know your facts, speak your mind, and don't back down.

Trier20
02-08-2013, 11:42 PM
and don't back down.
unless proven wrong and leave nothing to assume or people are going to assume the worst.

sammy
02-08-2013, 11:44 PM
unless proven wrong and leave nothing to assume or people are going to assume the worst.

+ 1,000,000 When first reading that post I assumed Cullymoto was NUTS.

Discus-Hans
02-08-2013, 11:53 PM
Don't be bothered by anybody here. Know your facts, speak your mind, and don't back down.

As I always did and always will lol

Hans

Chicago Discus
02-09-2013, 12:04 AM
Well all of you scare me LOL..... It's not that serious folks just move on.......Josie

sammy
02-09-2013, 12:06 AM
Speaking of not that serious, everytime I see your giraffe pic it reminds me of a way to close for comfort experience when a giraffe wanted my snack at the zoo!!!!

sammy
02-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Their heads are FREAKIN HUGE

Chicago Discus
02-09-2013, 12:12 AM
I gotten crap about my avatar before LOL........guess its still working ....LOL......JOSIE

lipadj46
02-09-2013, 02:10 AM

It's the internet, thicken your skin. There has been an influx off newbs here doling out bad advice as of late.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 11:18 AM
Lol. This was funny

paulW
04-17-2014, 12:55 PM

Hans

No need to be a jerk about it. You could've made the same point in a more diplomatic way.
How about
"I'm glad that worked for you, but I recommend only putting food that you know the discus will eat in an autofeeder.
There's a danger that they won't eat it, and it will impact your water quality".

Isn't that better than calling someone stupid?
If someone came to your place to buy discus, would you call them stupid to their face if they didn't know as much about discus as you do?

rickztahone
04-17-2014, 09:07 PM
A lot of resurrecting going on lately guys? I'm assuming people are using the search function more, which is ALWAYS a good thing I suppose.

Cosabuena
04-17-2014, 09:32 PM
A lot of resurrecting going on lately guys? I'm assuming people are using the search function more, which is ALWAYS a good thing I suppose.

I don't like using that search button.

I never get what I want. Example I put led lighting and get post that has nothing to do w that. But yea. This New York weather is nuts

Discus-Hans
04-17-2014, 09:55 PM
No need to be a jerk about it. You could've made the same point in a more diplomatic way.
How about
"I'm glad that worked for you, but I recommend only putting food that you know the discus will eat in an autofeeder.
There's a danger that they won't eat it, and it will impact your water quality".

Isn't that better than calling someone stupid?
If someone came to your place to buy discus, would you call them stupid to their face if they didn't know as much about discus as you do?

PaulW shows you've never been to my place or met me, sorry I tell it as I see it, and I think you are right, I'm known as the biggest jerk in this business,

Hans

rickztahone
04-17-2014, 11:19 PM
I don't like using that search button.

I never get what I want. Example I put led lighting and get post that has nothing to do w that. But yea. This New York weather is nuts

A better search method is going to google, and type something along the lines of "LED lighting Simply discus" and you should get some good hits.

paulW
04-18-2014, 03:11 PM
PaulW shows you've never been to my place or met me, sorry I tell it as I see it, and I think you are right, I'm known as the biggest jerk in this business,

Hans

I meant to say, please treat people on the forum as you would treat your customers that would visit you.
In other words, I know you wouldn't call a customer that visited you stupid, so please extend that courtesy here.
We were all noobies at one time.

I really don't know you well, but not sure why you are proud to be known as "the biggest jerk in the business".
Not sure it's good for your business to chase away potential customers off the forum.

Discus-Hans
04-18-2014, 05:38 PM
I really don't know you well, but not sure why you are proud to be known as "the biggest jerk in the business".
Not sure it's good for your business to chase away potential customers off the forum.

That was just sarcastic lol

Hans

beastroy
04-18-2014, 08:08 PM
About 3 week ago I added 3 adult Discus to my 90 gallon tank. They are all doing great, however the biggest one which is about 7" is not eating anything but blood worms. They other two are eating my home-made beef heart food and black worms. How do you I get my BIG discus to eat my beef-heart mix and black worms? I have tried starving him up to 3 days and that has not worked. He is still being picky about the food and eating blood worms only! Please advise on how to get him to eat other foods which is a more complete diet for him.

Thanks

you can try to feed them half of their favorite food and half non favorite at the same time during the morning hours when your fish is very hungry feeding first meal....is simple as that and sooner or later maybe in a few weeks time he will accept the new food.

even dogs and cats can be train this way to eat different food.

hth

beastroy
04-18-2014, 08:12 PM
one very important thing I forgot to mention is don't forget to set your tank temperature to 85 so that they will eat like pigz even at 7 inches.

if your tank is a planted tank then forget what I said.

yim11
04-20-2014, 02:29 AM
one very important thing I forgot to mention is don't forget to set your tank temperature to 85 so that they will eat like pigz even at 7 inches.

if your tank is a planted tank then forget what I said.

And if your tank isn't planted forget what he said as well.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?103015-78-degrees/