PDA

View Full Version : What happens to this 7 inch Blue Diamond??? BEEF HEART

sammy
02-03-2013, 08:38 PM
I have a great large Blue Diamond - big 7 inch male. Awesome fish. I bought him about 2 years ago at about 5 inches. He was never fed beefheart from the original owner. I make my own mix that all my fish love and gobble up. He loves it too but I can't feed it to him because if he eats it he will swim to the bottom of the tank and nearly lays down on his side and it freaks me out. What exactly is happening? Is it a blockage? He stays like that for more then 1/2 hour

GrayLadyPat
02-03-2013, 09:06 PM
try feeding him a bit less at a time, but more often...It may be that he is eating so much it's affecting his swim bladder until some is digested a bit. I have a similar problem with one of mine and spirolina brine shrimp. If he eats too much, it's like he has indegestion and just acts truly miserable for 30 minutes to an hour. I have to watch like a hawk when I feed it to them.

sammy
02-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah - its awful to see him like that - he always has done this weird thing too - it's like maybe once a month he lifts hit head up and floats really creepy like - his pectorals are still going -but it looks like hes dead - its weird - he's actually paired off right now with a sweet red turq but when he's not he's the king of the tank.

MSD
02-03-2013, 10:22 PM
Logic would dictate you do not feed him the beefheart at this stage, use what the original owner used.

Jeff O
02-04-2013, 12:28 AM
You might be able to get some more help if you post this under Disease & Sickness or Nutrition. Jus a thought.
-Jeff

MSD
02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Great thought Jeff!

sammy
02-04-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't feed him beefheart at all - I posted this to see if anyone else ran into this issue - he's 100% healthy and a proven male -he just has an issue with beefheart and i'm not sure what it is.

Jeff O
02-04-2013, 10:56 AM
I don't feed him beefheart at all - I posted this to see if anyone else ran into this issue - he's 100% healthy and a proven male -he just has an issue with beefheart and i'm not sure what it is.

Im a bit confused then? How does beefheart tie into all of this?
-Jeff

sammy
02-05-2013, 08:26 PM
Because when I used to feed him beefheart he'd get all wacky. I stopped and his tanks doesn't get it anymore. he's in LOVE right now! all is well!