PDA

View Full Version : Discus quality

bwssr
02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I was looking thru the various places that sell Discus over the internet. Allot of them show fish in deep blues or reds. Brilliant yellows or gold colors not mention all the other combos out there. But when I see some of the pictures posted by hobbyist they are not so colorful. Is this because they choose their best looking fish, or hormone them up or photo shop the pictures? I have bought some pigeon bloods in the past that were kind of bland in comparison to those I see on the internet. I would love to have some discus as colorful as those on my avatar.

Skip
02-05-2013, 04:40 PM
usually the fish you see posted on 1 of the web sites is not their fish at all.
you should only buy fish from 1 of the sponsors on this website

camuth8
02-05-2013, 07:38 PM
usually the fish you see posted on 1 of the web sites is not their fish at all.
you should only buy fish from 1 of the sponsors on this website

+1. I've seen a picture from Mac's Discus of one of his suppliers discus, who has been keeping discus many years longer than he has.

bwssr
02-05-2013, 07:58 PM
I guess you would want to show your best Discus and if you are selling 2.5 inch fish it is hard to tell how good they are going to color up. Also isn't part of that in the hobbyist's hand when comes to nutrition and care?

Discus-Hans
02-05-2013, 08:28 PM
I guess you would want to show your best Discus and if you are selling 2.5 inch fish it is hard to tell how good they are going to color up. Also isn't part of that in the hobbyist's hand when comes to nutrition and care?

Hi bwssr,

you probably looked at all the wrong online stores, it's very easy to post a picture on your store of a very nice adult and say 2.5" is so much, 3" is this, 4" is that etc.

From the start I wanted to set up my online store I knew how I wanted it, the person who was doing my store couldn't do it the way I wanted so he was dumped. I was very lucky a very dear friend took his job over and did my store exact the way I wanted without any miss information.

On my store you get an idea what you get for your money, now Discus are NO computer chips so it's impossible to show you exact what you get.

Take a look at www.discusfishstore.com

Hans

bwssr
02-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks Hans I like what I see on your site. Very nice looking fish. Perhaps an order will be coming in the near future.
Also I see you have angels. Use to raise them myself and sell to local pet shops. I would sell over a 1000 a month at my highest point but the shops would pay that much for them and the overhead was killing me. Not to mention other problems.

jasongman86
02-05-2013, 11:59 PM
I'm one of the many that will vouch for Hans. Purchased 6 juvies at 2.5 inches around 5 weeks ago and all are over 4 inches now. Lots of water changes and food of course, but that's the recipe for success. That recipe won't work without good stock!

Jeff O
02-06-2013, 12:10 AM
I think we can all agree that we have a wonderful set of sponsors on here and that this is the first place you should look when buying discus. However, There are still some very good discus sellers and distributors that are not sponsors of our community.
-Jeff

camuth8
02-06-2013, 11:06 AM
I think we can all agree that we have a wonderful set of sponsors on here and that this is the first place you should look when buying discus. However, There are still some very good discus sellers and distributors that are not sponsors of our community.
-Jeff

+1

John_Nicholson
02-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Go with Hans and you will not be disappointed.

-john

Skip
02-06-2013, 11:34 AM
-Jeff

its is more risky.. i prefer proven records with lots of unbiased feedback.

DLock3d
02-06-2013, 12:23 PM
Go with Hans and you will not be disappointed.

-john

+ 1

And Hans can relate to your previous angel problem. Lol

bwssr
02-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I see Rocky Mountain is another one on here. Any one ever use them?

I really do miss raising angels but with that many tanks it is a full time job. I don't know how my wife put up with me back then.

mmorris
02-06-2013, 05:19 PM
its is more risky.. i prefer proven records with lots of unbiased feedback.

People should always do their homework before buying. People have no problem reporting negative feedback here when the seller isn't a sponsor.

ZX10R
02-06-2013, 05:29 PM
I see Rocky Mountain is another one on here. Any one ever use them?

I really do miss raising angels but with that many tanks it is a full time job. I don't know how my wife put up with me back then.

Rocky Mountain Discus out of Indiana?

bwssr
02-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Yes. I think they had moved.