PDA

View Full Version : Should I give them their own tank

mr limpet
02-06-2013, 11:18 PM
I have a young pair of red turqs about 5 inches.They are in my 90 gallon display tank with 8 other 3 to 4 inch turqs.They have laid eggs for the second time in 2 weeks.Last time they laid eggs they were eaten by someone.Tonight I noticed eggs again.Should I take them and put them in an extra 20 gallon tank I have,or are they too young?

Keith Perkins
02-06-2013, 11:39 PM
I prefer to try to get them to get more protective and see if they'll confirm they're a pair at least before moving them. Some times moving them too soon seems to set them back.

mr limpet
02-07-2013, 12:50 PM
That's all well and good,but I hate losing a chance to get some fry.The spawn they are laying are small too.Maybe 50 eggs.They are guarding the eggs a lot better than they were with their first spawn.

Bill63SG
02-07-2013, 07:22 PM
You say 5",but that doesnt euqate to age.How long have you had them?And Keith is right about confirming.Very easily could be two females.

mr limpet
02-07-2013, 07:49 PM
They are about 9 months old.The female(I believe)does not leave the eggs.The male chases the other discus away,then he seems to wander a little then returns to the eggs too.

Bill63SG
02-07-2013, 08:15 PM
You could wait to see if wigglers,but imo,they are too young,and could still have some growing to do.I wouldnt breed them yet.Your choice.

mr limpet
02-07-2013, 10:29 PM
Ok.But if I just leave them in the display tank will they lay eggs every week?Will they stop laying eggs after a while.

Keith Perkins
02-07-2013, 10:34 PM
Ok.But if I just leave them in the display tank will they lay eggs every week?Will they stop laying eggs after a while.

Yes, they will lay about every week for a while, then they will quit. But only long enough to rest up and start laying again.

Bill63SG
02-08-2013, 12:27 AM
I have some piwo's that has a female laying way earlier then I want.When she lays,I brush off the eggs,and the other fish get a treat.

mr limpet
02-08-2013, 02:26 PM
Ok.So what do you think would happen if I do decide to put them in their own tank?

Keith Perkins
02-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Best case they start raising nice fry. Let's see, what else can happen? They could turn out to be two females, the "male" could stop fertilizing, the male could start eating the eggs as the female lays them, one of them could start eating the eggs some time after they're laid, both could start eating the eggs some time after they're laid, one of them could start eating wrigglers, both of them could start eating wrigglers, one of them could start eating free swimmers, both of them could start eating free swimmers, the fry might not attach. I'm sure I missed one or two. :)

Bill63SG
02-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Best case they start raising nice fry. Let's see, what else can happen? They could turn out to be two females, the "male" could stop fertilizing, the male could start eating the eggs as the female lays them, one of them could start eating the eggs some time after they're laid, both could start eating the eggs some time after they're laid, one of them could start eating wrigglers, both of them could start eating wrigglers, one of them could start eating free swimmers, both of them could start eating free swimmers, the fry might not attach. I'm sure I missed one or two. :)

LMAO.Also it thought that if they start breeding at a young age/size,they will not reach thier full potential/size.

mr limpet
02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Very funny.I'm looking for advice and I get a response telling me in not so many words that it was a dumb question.Well excuse me,I'm a beginner and I believe thats what this section in the forum is for,beginners with questions(even dumb questions).Thanks for your response Bill about not reaching their full potential/size.

Keith Perkins
02-09-2013, 10:04 AM
Whoa, not at all sure how you inferred I was saying it was a dumb question, that is NOT how I roll. Every pair of fish is different and there's no guarantee of what's going to happen if you put them in a tank of their own. Some pairs it seems no matter what you do they're going to spawn successfully, others no matter what you do or don't do they won't. When it comes to spawning, successfully raising a batch up to an age where they can be separated from the parents is the single possible positive outcome. I was simply trying to point out there are a lot more ways it can and often does go wrong so it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to improve your odds a bit if you're serious about trying your hand a breeding.

Bill63SG
02-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Very funny.I'm looking for advice and I get a response telling me in not so many words that it was a dumb question.Well excuse me,I'm a beginner and I believe thats what this section in the forum is for,beginners with questions(even dumb questions).Thanks for your response Bill about not reaching their full potential/size.

I know Keith very well,and he has helped me out alot.This is just a case of humor not coming thru on the keyboard.He was just trying to show you the next set of variables now that could happen.Made me laugh.All those things could happen.Lets try again.
If they were my fish,I would try to grow them bigger,not breed them at 9 months.
If your set on breedind them,I would first try to let them confirn in thier tank before wasting your time.
If your dead set on pulling them and giving them thier own tank,that could/will disrupt them,and it will be awhile before they settle down and spawn again,most likely.
Even longer if they are 2 females,tying up a tank,and you finally having to decide they are not a pair.HTH.

mr limpet
02-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Sorry I took it the wrong way guys.Believe it or not I can take a joke.I was just getting frustrated not knowing what to do.They keep laying eggs and in 2 days they are gone.Now by confirming do you mean laying eggs,eggs hatching,and you have fry?

Keith Perkins
02-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Confirmation = Produce Wrigglers. That occurs at 48 hours or shortly thereafter if the eggs are viable. It is difficult, especially for first timers or those without keen eyesight, to see wrigglers at first but as each hour passes it becomes easier and easier.

What I was saying before wasn't so much a joke as it was a long list of personal experiences/frustrations. Okay, I may not have experienced every single thing on that list, but easily 75% of them or better. If you haven't ever been frustrated with discus either you're a saint or you just haven't been at it very long.

Trier20
02-09-2013, 12:39 PM
Yea they lay eggs, eggs are fertilized, they hatch into wigglers. Pair confirmed. The bigger the fish the easier it will be on the parents. More surface area for fry to eat off of when the fry are young. That said the parents don't get beat up as bad.

Bill63SG
02-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Sorry I took it the wrong way guys.Believe it or not I can take a joke.I was just getting frustrated not knowing what to do.They keep laying eggs and in 2 days they are gone.Now by confirming do you mean laying eggs,eggs hatching,and you have fry?

Trust me.I have experienced what I like to think of as a joke not being translated by being typed.Confirming is getting wigglers,that way you know you have a fertile male and female.If you cant get it in the community tank,and want to,youll have to move them.

mr limpet
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Thanks everyone.Now it's time for me to go outside again and shovel.We got 30 inches of snow.At least I still have power.Thousands here on Long Island are without power.

Keith Perkins
02-09-2013, 03:37 PM
I'm sure we'll see threads and posts later from those not so lucky. Glad your good.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-10-2013, 09:53 AM
The main ideas behind what Keith and Bill are trying to convey to you is, confirm if they are indeed a pair. Then if they are a proven pair, you can go over your options.

Let them growout more or try the breeding process which will include many water changes and a good healthy diet (see sticky notes in breeder section).

The questions not asked are: Are you ready to breed? Do you have RO water? Holding barrels for daily water changes? A growout tank for the fry?

All things in consideration, I hope you do have a confirmed pair. There is nothing more exciting than seeing your first set of wigglers.

Jeff

PAR23
02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Also it thought that if they start breeding at a young age/size,they will not reach thier full potential/size.

I see this statement posted on many occasions, is it true? I thought Hans had suggested otherwise.

Bill63SG
02-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I see this statement posted on many occasions, is it true? I thought Hans had suggested otherwise.

I belive I read that its not the egg laying,but if you allow them to rear the fry that can curb thier growth.Dont know if its true,but seems logical to me,so I try not to breed them too young.

Keith Perkins
02-10-2013, 03:53 PM
I belive I read that its not the egg laying,but if you allow them to rear the fry that can curb thier growth.Dont know if its true,but seems logical to me,so I try not to breed them too young.

+1

mr limpet
02-10-2013, 04:52 PM
I have 8 other discus in this 90 gallon tank.They are 3 to 4 inches.Then there is the pair thats 5 inches(dont actually know who keeps eating their eggs).I have 1 FX5 cannister and 2 AC110s filtering the tank.Ph is 7.4.I change water every 2 or 3 days.I have no barrells to age water,it comes out of my tap at 7.4.I just add prime.I have bred angels before,changing water every day,sometimes 2 times a day on a fry tank.I have a 29 and 2 20 gallon tanks that can be set up at any time.Also have a 46 gallon bow tank running with 2 AC70s and a Rena cannister filter filtering the tank.That tank has 5 three inch discus in it.Besides a few 10 and 5 gallons too.

Keith Perkins
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM
It's completely your call. We'd give them more time and see if they exhibit better parenting skills before moving them, but sometimes the opposite works. It doesn't sound like it would hurt if they grew a little more either. Odds are a little more time in the community tank will be good for them. Certainly sounds like you've got the equipment. A 29 or 20 for a breeder, then the 10 to use in making bbs later. :)

mr limpet
02-10-2013, 07:17 PM
I think I will give then a few more months before I move them.Can you give me an example of using one of my 10 gallons for bbs.I have one of those black bbs dishes I used for my angel fry that was just terrible in so far as hatching rate.

Bill63SG
02-10-2013, 08:35 PM

Keith Perkins
02-10-2013, 09:11 PM
Mine looks the same (Gee I wonder why) except I have a glass top on mine and an aquarium light. The light and glass top were freebies with a Craigslist used breeder sized tank I bought somewhere along the line.

Trier20
02-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Mine is the same as well.

Keith Perkins
02-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Dang, I should have figured out how to market that one. Of course my set up was inspired by Martha's.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?73479-How-to-hatch-brineshrimp&p=566827&highlight=kitchen%20sink#post566827

Jeff O
02-11-2013, 01:14 AM
I should probobly start one of these.. My bbs hatchery is currently in little cubes in the freezer LOL
-jeff

mr limpet
02-12-2013, 07:04 PM
They just laid eggs again.Guarding the eggs closely.Guess I'll see if they hatch.

Bill63SG
02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Good luck.

Keith Perkins
02-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Many of us started off with sub-par pairs. Even if yours are small, that doesn't mean the next generation will be. You gotta learn sometime.

mr limpet
02-14-2013, 07:08 PM
Eggs are gone.Eaten by someone.

AquaMan2012
02-28-2013, 09:35 AM
mr limpet, I have a similar situation. I have 6 discus of different varieties in a 55 gallon tank and two of them paired up and started spawning in December of last year. The pair is a Flachen and a Brilliant Turquoise. They seem to spawn like clock work every 7 to 9 days. I recently moved the tank to the other side of the room to get ready for a new 75 gallon upgrade tank and I think that slowed them down for two weeks or so. But they are back at it again and the other fish keep eating the eggs. Apparently they are very tasty. Originally, I wasn't planning on running two tanks for any period of time, but I think I'm going to move the other 4 fish into the 75 and leave the pair in the 55 and see if I can confirm that they are indeed a fertile pair. I don't know that I'm ready to start raising fry, but I'll see what happens.

Richard

mr limpet
02-28-2013, 07:01 PM
They have not laid eggs since the 12th.Maybe taking a break?

Bill63SG
02-28-2013, 10:10 PM
One sign they are imature.Regular pairs can go every 7 days.