PDA

View Full Version : When the lights go out

bwssr
02-08-2013, 05:28 PM
We have a major storm heading for our eastern seaboard and they say it may take down the power. So how do you handle it when the lights go out and there is no electricity to keep the heat and filters running? Not only for your discus but for you as well.
I wish all you out there well and if the power goes out I hope it is for a very short time.

sammy
02-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm in the same boat - in RI - expecting 2-3 feet. I have many discus to worry about and if you don't have a generator here's some tips. If you don't have this stuff already your in trouble.
1. Bait bucket battery operated airstone aireators. They run on 2 D batteries. Run a air hose directly to a foam filter (weighted) and plop the filter in the tank. You can do it with an air stone alone but that does nothing for filtration. The unit will clip to the top of the tank.
2. Have plenty of news paper. If you lose power you will lose your heater. Line the outside of the tank with several sheets of newspaper - its a good insulator. KEEP THE PAPER AWAY FROM THE LIGHT!!! If you fall asleep and the power comes on and the light hits the paper you'll lose more then fish. Heat rises. I take the light off the tank and and lay a blanket over the versa top (glass). The paper will slow the loss of heat. Now is the fun part.
3. Go outside and shovel around your grill because you will need to heat water on the grill, fill plastic bottles with the heated water...and float them in your tanks.
4. Stay awake. You will need to repeat the process as necessary...and after you do all this for this storm, your fish will thank you...and you will buy a generator for the next time.

sammy
02-08-2013, 05:46 PM
BY THE WAY...if your plastic floaters leak your fish are DEAD

Scribbles
02-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I do a big water change before the storm hits. Have battery operated airstones on hand. When the storm hits I turn off the fish lights and wrap the tanks in blankets or insulation and stop feeding. Of course a generator is very handy. I have a small older one and can run the filters during daylight hours (noisy old gas generator).

Chris

gersteven
02-08-2013, 06:48 PM
Expecting 18+ inches here on Long Island. We lost power for 12 days as a result of Sandy and I lost everything because of the lack of heat. I purchased a generator at Costco and have it ready to go; definitely worth the investment not only for my discus, but to keep us warm as well. Hope Nemo is a kinder and gentler storm.

bwssr
02-08-2013, 08:46 PM
It's sounds like a good generator is a must. Especially if your power is out for a couple of days. I have covered my tanks before when I had tropical fish in them once and it all worked out but discus are much more touchy than angels, gouramis and tetras. This was back in the early 70s.

sammy
02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
If you have the stamina the floating bottles works.

SMB2
02-08-2013, 11:23 PM
How about stuffing water tight tupper ware with those (exothermic) hand warmers and floating them? They stay about 85 degrees for 6-8 hours. Never tried it, just thinking about what to do.
With a large Discus investment in time and money, a generator seems like it should be part of the set up.

sammy
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
I never tried that - I did pick up a buch of those and plan to create a "hot spot" on each tank (hung on the outside)

pauline
02-09-2013, 06:39 AM
Best of luck to all in the Northeast.

gills
02-09-2013, 07:41 AM
Good luck with the storm. We mainly get hurricanes and some ice storms once in a while. I use a generator and run power cords to the power strips. Once again good luck everyone.