PDA

View Full Version : Strange discovery?

Scales
02-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I recently set up my first discus tank. It's a 55 gallon b.b. with 6 fish. They have been very skittish from day one. I've only been using 1 fluorescent light from a ten gallon tank, thinking the low wattage would help them stay calm. It didn't work, they would ball up and hide most of the day until feeding time then come out, eat then ball back up? After reading forums someone mentioned keeping the lights brighter in the tank to eliminate shadows and such. I threw on my 48 inch t5 HO fixture on and within 10 minutes they swam around the tank like they were freed from prison! Every time I walk by they swim to greet me! Just like that? I am so excited of this! I almost started disliking them, anyone else ever experience something like this?

ZX10R
02-09-2013, 10:49 PM
Yes I have had something similar like that happen to me twice. Al mentioned to me it might be shadows causing the fish to be skittish. I took his advice and sure enough that was it fish were fine after that.

sammy
02-10-2013, 01:09 PM
WOW =-- awesome idea - I will try it. I have these 4 right now that went through a bad illness but still balled up. Will try that tonight.