PDA

View Full Version : Is this fungus?

Quinton
02-12-2013, 03:28 PM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started.

I got the pair last week Thursday and being my first discus, I didn't quarantine them. I've been watching them since I got them and noticed the marks on the female on the fins after the anus and monitored it closely each day.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

None other than visually spotting it.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

33G, 11 months old, breeding pair and haven't measured them as of yet, but from looking female 6 inches and male 7 inches.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

50% every other day, 11 months but have changed the decor and done away with one air pump and recently changed the filters pads in my canister (polishing pad and filter pad), gravel and planted, RO/DI water sat in the tank with heater at 30 celcius until I go to use it.(no airstone or powerhead)

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 30 celcius

- ph 6.4

- ammonia reading 0.25ppm

- nitrite reading 0.25ppm

- nitrate reading 5.0ppm

- well water no

- municipal water no

- GH 4-7 degrees

- KH >6 degrees (hard to determine off these strips)

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No.

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4242/img0484fac.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/img0484fac.jpg/)
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3061/img0485cj.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/27/img0485cj.jpg/)

Quinton
02-12-2013, 04:47 PM
I've just done a 80% water change. Anything else to recommend?

sammy
02-12-2013, 06:34 PM
It looks like an open soar. I have only dealt with similar two times. I used antibiotics. You need advice from someone more knowledgeable in that area.

troysdiiscus
02-12-2013, 07:01 PM
when you replaced the pads and filter sponge, were they new???

Quinton
02-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Yes they were.

Quinton
02-12-2013, 07:16 PM
Don't know whether this helps or not, but she likes sitting in the bubbles from the air stone as well or is this just character?

troysdiiscus
02-12-2013, 07:21 PM
that may have thrown off your water parimeter...threw away the BB in your bio media..you said you took out an airstone? do you have something pumping oxygen in the tank? My thought is stay on top of WC to get to 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate this will definately help in healing. To me it does look like a wound, did you notice it when you put the pair in? Was the BP peppered like that or has it gotten worse??

Quinton
02-12-2013, 07:27 PM
I have two air pump's. One pump for the two 9" airstones at the back and the other pump for the air curtain I had under the substrate. The second one is what I have done away with recently when I changed my tank around, but like you said, I have a feeling its the BB I've lost changing pads.
I honestly can't remember if the sore was there when she arrived, but with them settling in this last week, I wouldn't be surprised if she caught herself on some driftwood somewhere.
They were alot more peppered than what you see now so certainly hasn't got worse, but I also know I'll never get rid of it either. That I been watching too, to see if she shows signs of stress but she doesn't. Very active and normal apart from apperance.
What with her and him constantly in the bubbles for then? Any ideas?

Quinton
02-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Oh and going back to water changes, I'll change my regime to suit the BB setting up and maintain it at 0 0 0.

Skip
02-12-2013, 07:31 PM
Was this tank cycled?
Are there other fish in there?

Quinton
02-12-2013, 07:36 PM
Yes it's a cycled tank.... It's 11 months old. Only replaced the polishing pad and filter pad and cleaned everything else as per normal. Again yes there are other fish in there.

Chicago Discus
02-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Age water, up your water changes wait and see if it starts to clears up after a week if no improvement try some furan 2 in a quarantine tank.......Josie

Quinton
02-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Cheers Josie. Will ageing water still apply to us in the UK?

Skip
02-12-2013, 08:57 PM
Cheers Josie. Will ageing water still apply to us in the UK?

Yes

Quinton
02-12-2013, 09:01 PM
Ok. Ill drop an air line in my storage container. Don't suppose you know why my discus like hanging in the bubbles from the air stones do ya?

Skip
02-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Ok. Ill drop an air line in my storage container. Don't suppose you know why my discus like hanging in the bubbles from the air stones do ya?

Who knows.. they are stupid fish.. but pretty

Quinton
02-13-2013, 06:33 AM
Lol cheers warlock. Ill keep you guys updated of how she is.

Quinton
02-15-2013, 05:44 PM
So thought I'd just update you guys on how my female PB is doing. Been doing 80% water changes the last 4 days and sorted my parametres firstly and her sores haven't gotten worse, meaning that they must be healing. I been keeping a timeline from day to day of pictures and comparing from day one to present is the only way I can tell. But yea thought I'd let you know :).

Quinton

Chicago Discus
02-15-2013, 05:47 PM
So thought I'd just update you guys on how my female PB is doing. Been doing 80% water changes the last 4 days and sorted my parametres firstly and her sores haven't gotten worse, meaning that they must be healing. I been keeping a timeline from day to day of pictures and comparing from day one to present is the only way I can tell. But yea thought I'd let you know :).

Quinton

That's wonderful news Quinton keep up the good work......Josie

Quinton
02-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Josie, how long must I continue with these WC's before I can cut down on the amount?

Quinton

troysdiiscus
02-15-2013, 06:04 PM
NEVER!!!!!! :D when you say cut down the amount do you mean like not everyday or the percentage???

Chicago Discus
02-15-2013, 06:08 PM
Josie, how long must I continue with these WC's before I can cut down on the amount?

Quinton

I would say until your fish start looking better but you still need to maintain a healthy water change schedule that works for you and your fish...josie

Quinton
02-15-2013, 06:09 PM
I mean % :). Don't mind WC's everyday now it's just my poor RO/DI can't keep up lol

Chicago Discus
02-15-2013, 06:22 PM
You need to monitor and watch the fish they will let you know when you can start doing less percentage daily......Josie

Quinton
02-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Ok. Wish I knew what you meant by that :P

Chicago Discus
02-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Ok. Wish I knew what you meant by that :P

Once your fish start looking better then you can do less water changes that's what I meant Josie

Quinton
02-18-2013, 02:57 PM
So today be day 6 of the 80% WC and scrubbing down of the entire tank yarda yarda....
Anyways, alot of the sores have healed but at the same time I noticed her scrubbing herself on the substrate as well as flickering/flashing
as if she has bacteria set in, but I can't see any spores attached to her. (I'll take a pic in a minute when she stops being shy.
She's normal otherwise, eating etc etc. Could this also just be the process of healing as in its a fishes way of scratching off the dead
skin?
If not then I'll start treating with medicine tomorrow but expert advice would be greatly appreciated first.
Off topic, after this constant cleaning etc I've decided to pick up a 29G tank to have as a BB for them as this has shown me that planted
discus tanks can be frustrating at times.

Quinton

Quinton
02-18-2013, 03:06 PM
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4573/img0510ss.th.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/i/img0510ss.jpg/)
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/5810/img0512g.th.jpg (http://img585.imageshack.us/i/img0512g.jpg/)
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/5257/img0514zs.th.jpg (http://img594.imageshack.us/i/img0514zs.jpg/)

Quinton
02-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Bump.

Quinton
02-19-2013, 03:26 PM
Bump Bump.

PP_GBR
02-19-2013, 03:56 PM
Q:

Have you noticed anything change in her behavior? From the pix looks like she is ready to lay eggs. Next time you upload your pix, choose 15 inc. monitor size for better view.

Quinton
02-19-2013, 04:13 PM
Wow, how could you tell she's ready to lay eggs from the pictures? Thats the other activity thats been going on in the tank is them two choosing a spawning site. Just cleaning bogwood and leaves at the moment but no laying. Was kinda hoping that they wouldn't start until I set them up in their own 51G tank. But more worried about this fungus at the moment.
As for picture size, I'll bare that in mind next time. I did select 17" but don't know how it messed it up when it normally does fine :s.

PP_GBR
02-19-2013, 04:38 PM
Q:

From her breeding tube aka papilla (sp). I see you have your temp @ 30 C. Do a wc, with cooler water to induce spawning. Lower the temp to 82 F for better hatching rate and make sure there is no high current near their spawn site.

Don't worry about the fungus. I could not see it with my glasses on. I guess I'm too old or needing new glasses. :lol:

Quinton
02-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Ok noted all that. Cheers aqain :)

Quinton
02-20-2013, 02:03 PM
So I have a leaf full of eggs. Was watching them do the whole process. Well no more 80% WC's now.... down to 25%. Damn only day 13 of owning them. Didn't think things would be this quick.

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 02:51 PM
Q:

From the first day you post your thread, I saw her breeding tube but did not want to say anything because I was looking for the fungus spot. :lol: Did you enjoy the show? What is the temp now?

When you notice her breeding tube drop, you should be prepared.

troysdiiscus
02-20-2013, 03:08 PM
like this?
http://i1337.photobucket.com/albums/o661/troyndeb/008_zps47bc91b1-1_zps96c5665f.jpg

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Yes, that is it. After she laid the eggs, the tube will almost disappear in a day or two. When she is full of eggs, her tube will drop again. And if the tube does not disappear after she laid eggs, then it could be hernia :lol:

Quinton
02-20-2013, 03:49 PM
Ah nice thanks :D. Feel quite proud really in a way and was amazed on how non-lazy the male was. I did my water change last night and dropped it to 80F and then adjusted the heaters to accomodate the 82F for the egg's hatching. Should I do any WC's at all now? I'm still tempted to but if it's best not to then I shan't. Also lighting. I have 2x24w t5HO's. Leave them on or allow them to turn off?

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 04:00 PM
Q:

Are there other fish in the tank other than the parents? Keep the tank light off. What kind of filter, equipment you have in the tank? You could do wc but you must cover the eggs with water.

Quinton
02-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Yes there's other fish in the tank with them. They're the only discus though. External canister flow rate- 800 lph. This is just my display tank. I did purchase a 29G which turned out to be a 51G that I was setting up as a breeding/growout tank. I was merely intersted in WC's as I have a habbit of not liking poo on the bottom of my tank so I did regular cleans to brake it up.

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 04:14 PM
Q:

There is nothing wrong with wanting to do wc while the eggs has not hatched yet. But you have some issues there. The fry will become live food for other fish in the tank. How fast could you set up the other tank? Do you have a sponge filter in your main tank?

Quinton
02-20-2013, 04:29 PM
The new tank won't be cycled in time. I'll be very surprised if this batch make it anyways but time will tell and lastly no to your sponge filter question. Thats in transit at the moment after I ordered it online the other night. :(

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Please specify other fish in the tank. Are they expensive fish? I'm thinking about you moving your other fish to the new tank. Use the some of the main tank water to speed up the cycle. Take some bio balls/gravels in the canister to add to the new filter. It's up to you how badly you want this batch. If not, just let nature take it course.

Quinton
02-20-2013, 04:48 PM
Rosy Tetra's
Rummynose Tetra's
Kuhli Loaches
Yoyo loaches
Electric blue Ram
Golden Ram
AngelFish
Bristlenose plec's

Not very expensive fish by all means however the wife will undoubtedly go nuts if I ship these fish out to save the one batch. I'll let nature do its course on this batch as it will only improve the parents, parenting skill untill the new tank is setup for them.

The new 51G will have two sponge filters, 1 heater and be BB for them. so this should work out lovely.

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Very good. You've made up your mind. Let nature take its course. Be prepared for next time. I have some of your fish too, German blue ram, angelfish, Bovilian ram and electric blue. Are your rams breeding?

Quinton
02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
No. I thought I picked up a pair of Electric blue rams but the female seemed to have "shrinked" over time or the male just grew massively. But I don't know really whats going on with them.

PP_GBR
02-20-2013, 07:57 PM
Q:

Rams usually have very good appetize. Does she have eating disorder? Is she anorexic? How is she feeding? Observe her feeding in the morning. If she does not come up to you but hiding then there is something wrong with her.