PDA

View Full Version : frozen brine shrimp?

vss
02-13-2013, 12:26 PM
don't laugh at me really i have not used the frozen brine shrimp before and now i would like to try them as a treat and calcium supplement. Just wondering if they are clean and safe food? Do they foul the water and possibly carry any parasite or disease? I can get Hikari and SF Bay locally, are they equally good? Thanks!

Xiaofei :)

Skip
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
brine shrimp are in SALT water.. they don't carry anything that would harm freshwater fish

i prefer feeding LIVE

PAR23
02-13-2013, 12:43 PM
don't laugh at me really i have not used the frozen brine shrimp before and now i would like to try them as a treat and calcium supplement. Just wondering if they are clean and safe food? Do they foul the water and possibly carry any parasite or disease? I can get Hikari and SF Bay locally, are they equally good? Thanks!

As skip stated, you are safe to feed. I feed both frozen and live BS. I favor Hikari, no scientific support, just what I use.

Jeff O
02-13-2013, 12:47 PM
I personally don’t care for frozen Brine Shrimp. They hold very little nutritional value. "empty calories"
-Jeff

vss
02-13-2013, 01:00 PM
As skip stated, you are safe to feed. I feed both frozen and live BS. I favor Hikari, no scientific support, just what I use.

brine shrimp are in SALT water.. they don't carry anything that would harm freshwater fish

i prefer feeding LIVE

I personally don’t care for frozen Brine Shrimp. They hold very little nutritional value. "empty calories"
-Jeff

Thanks alot Jeff, Peter, and Skip!

When you talked about the live ones, do you mean the live baby brine shrimp that you freshly hatched? Or there are some place we can get live adult ones? just thought the BBS too small to feed for 3'' fish, and it's such a pain and mess to hatch them....

Really I'm just planning to use it as a calcium supplement to ensure balanced fin and gill plate growth, and there is already enough protein and other stuff in the major diet.

Thanks again,
Xiaofei:)

Skip
02-13-2013, 01:05 PM
not BBS..

BRINE SHRIMP FEEDERS from pet store.. never bought them online.. but they are available..

PAR23
02-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks alot Jeff, Peter, and Skip!

When you talked about the live ones, do you mean the live baby brine shrimp that you freshly hatched? Or there are some place we can get live adult ones? just thought the BBS too small to feed for 3'' fish, and it's such a pain and mess to hatch them....

Really I'm just planning to use it as a calcium supplement to ensure balanced fin and gill plate growth, and there is already enough protein and other stuff in the major diet.

Thanks again,
Xiaofei:)

Yes live adult BS from local pet shop. I mainly feed live BS to maintain their "predatory" skills since I do not feed any other live foods. Also a lot of fun watching them chase BS around.

GrayLadyPat
02-13-2013, 01:58 PM
They are empty calories, as previously stated, BUT... when mine get finicky, as they sometimes will, they will still go for the brine shrimp, at least giving tem a bit of energy. Mine actually prefer the frozen spirolina (sp?) cubes to the regular. Personally, I think it's the green color, but somewhere else in the forum, there's a thread about whether or not they can see color (I think they do!)

vss
02-13-2013, 01:59 PM
not BBS..

BRINE SHRIMP FEEDERS from pet store.. never bought them online.. but they are available..

Yes live adult BS from local pet shop. I mainly feed live BS to maintain their "predatory" skills since I do not feed any other live foods. Also a lot of fun watching them chase BS around.

Oh I didn't know i could get live BS from a pet store. That's cool and I will go and check after work today. Do you use the feeder all the time or it's Ok just simply net them out and throw them into the tank? For the leftovers how long can you keep them alive?

Thanks again,

PAR23
02-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Oh I didn't know i could get live BS from a pet store. That's cool and I will go and check after work today. Do you use the feeder all the time or it's Ok just simply net them out and throw them into the tank? For the leftovers how long can you keep them alive?

Thanks again,

I do not use a feeder. Pour them from the holding cup into a fine fish net, a quick rinse with tap water and straight into the tank they go. The fish go nuts trying to catch them. I usually use the entire portion so I can't tell you how long they will survive. I buy just enough for one feeding.

vss
02-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I do not use a feeder. Pour them from the holding cup into a fine fish net, a quick rinse with tap water and straight into the tank they go. The fish go nuts trying to catch them. I usually use the entire portion so I can't tell you how long they will survive. I buy just enough for one feeding.

just curious what is the packaging of the live shrimp and what's the price?

PAR23
02-13-2013, 02:26 PM
just curious what is the packaging of the live shrimp and what's the price?

At my LFS, they net it out of a tank and place it in a small plastic container for transport. Its about $1.50 per portion/cup.

camuth8
02-13-2013, 02:36 PM
Brine shrimp are a lot like frozen blood worms in terms of nutrition. They do cloud a bit of the tank, but the discus will still eat it.

vss
02-15-2013, 01:28 PM
At my LFS, they net it out of a tank and place it in a small plastic container for transport. Its about $1.50 per portion/cup.

Thanks peter. eventually i found a petstore that carries live BS yesterday evening. They charge $1 per portion but the portion they used is just a tablespoon :( I got two portions and fed half of them last night. They did bring out the wild side of my fish and it's so much fun to watch them chasing the little bugs lol. i left one portion in a cup and this morning they are still 100% alive. I'll probably feed my fish the live ones twice a week from now on.

PAR23
02-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks peter. eventually i found a petstore that carries live BS yesterday evening. They charge $1 per portion but the portion they used is just a tablespoon :( I got two portions and fed half of them last night. They did bring out the wild side of my fish and it's so much fun to watch them chasing the little bugs lol. i left one portion in a cup and this morning they are still 100% alive. I'll probably feed my fish the live ones twice a week from now on.

That's great Xiaofei. I always enjoyed watching the fish chase them all over the tank. They are not cheap but keeping discus isn't either:D I'm glad you found a place that sell live BS. Have fun.

PP_GBR
02-15-2013, 02:13 PM
X:

Hatch your own BS, save you lot of money.