PDA

View Full Version : Garlic?

GrayLadyPat
02-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I came across a bottle of garlic oil in my LFS made for "stimulating appetite" in finicky fish or to help with the flavor of oral medications.

Supposedly, it only takes a drop or two in a tablespoon of water (or so) and then soak the food in it. Does it work?

Anything that will act like a "spoonful of sugar" would be good news for me.

Crystalwaters
02-13-2013, 02:46 PM
I had to give my angelfish community food soaked in metro. It was refused until I added garlic, fish loved it. Not sure if the discus share the same love of garlic, but it worked great for me.

John_Nicholson
02-13-2013, 03:02 PM
Discus do like garlic. There is an incorrect notion that adding garlic to you BH mix will help with parasites but in reality the only way it is an affect is fresh garlic that is crushed at the time of feeding. It quickly loses effect, but like I said they do seem to like the flavor of it.

-john

fredyx
02-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Discus do like garlic. There is an incorrect notion that adding garlic to you BH mix will help with parasites but in reality the only way it is an affect is fresh garlic that is crushed at the time of feeding. It quickly loses effect, but like I said they do seem to like the flavor of it.

-john
Totally agree!! The allicin that is the active component against parasites in garlic decomposes in contact with proteins, therefore has a short life in a BH mix, it gives a flavor that discus like (everything has a limit though...) and adds vitamins and minerals.

02-13-2013, 03:16 PM
Once crushed up some minced garlic and mixed it with Metro and Discus gobbled it up.:grin:

DiscusLoverJeff
02-13-2013, 03:21 PM
Once crushed up some minced garlic and mixed it with Metro and Discus gobbled it up.:grin:

Why would someone add garlic to metro? If all it is is a flavor enhancer, what is the metro used for other than to cure a sick fish? Just looking for clarification for the combo of garlic and metro.

fredyx
02-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Why would someone add garlic to metro? If all it is is a flavor enhancer, what is the metro used for other than to cure a sick fish? Just looking for clarification for the combo of garlic and metro.
It is a flavor enhancer when mixed with BH, raw garlic can have some effect against parasites (limited since it decomposes easily) that would be synergistic with metro.

02-14-2013, 11:58 AM
Metro is more effective in my view(other's), if you can get the fish to eat the medication as opposed to treating the water.
Garlic made the consumption of the med easier for me.

star rider
02-14-2013, 06:23 PM
Metro is more effective in my view(other's), if you can get the fish to eat the medication as opposed to treating the water.
Garlic made the consumption of the med easier for me.

BINGO!!!

it's used to make the meds more palletable..as mentioned the meds are much more effective if they are consumed by the Host and more readily available to the parasite

GrayLadyPat
02-15-2013, 02:02 PM
BINGO!!!

it's used to make the meds more palletable..as mentioned the meds are much more effective if they are consumed by the Host and more readily available to the parasite

That's the answer I was looking for. Thankfully, I am not having any issues with my discus health right now, but I can see where it may be useful in the future to have something that wil make the kiddoes eat medicated food. I really wasn't looking for its medicinal qualities. I will pick some up next time I need to medicate the babes :D