PDA

View Full Version : Good 'problem'?? Question on sponge filter

barkmanusd
02-15-2013, 02:10 PM
I have 2 almost identical 75 gallon planted discus tanks. All healthy fish, both tanks established for years. I've had discus for over 12 years.

I decided to add a sponge filter....not to resolve a problem but just to see if there could be an improvement in water quality. I do water changes 50% every other day. The pump for the sponge is a little loud or at least louder than I'm used to! :o)

I've noticed the fish all look very healthy but are more active than normal (or in the other tank where there is no sponge filter). They aren't frantic just seem to be exploring more, darting around. The fins are expanded and they seem 'happy'. Just wondering if the increased activity in negative undue stress or a positive improvement in their environment. Any ideas?

star rider
02-15-2013, 03:02 PM
IMO. adding an air driven sponge filter improves Oxygenation of the water.. I have it in my Discus and P.Altum Tanks..they seem to like it.

ashtricks
02-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I also agree with a theory that the white noise produced by the air pump muffles other noises that might spook the discus.

barkmanusd
02-15-2013, 03:41 PM
IMO. adding an air driven sponge filter improves Oxygenation of the water.. I have it in my Discus and P.Altum Tanks..they seem to like it.

Interesting, I was expecting to hear I was stressing the fish. Wanna think you are right the increased oxygen may simply make them more energetic - in a good way. Thanks!

star rider
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Interesting, I was expecting to hear I was stressing the fish. Wanna think you are right the increased oxygen may simply make them more energetic - in a good way. Thanks!

definitely does not spook them both Angels and Discus will swim thru the bubbles from time to time..