PDA

View Full Version : Finnex Controllers

gersteven
02-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I purchased three Finnex HC-0810 Controllers from Ken's Fish since December and have already replaced two (defective right out of the box.) I spoke with Ken and he immediately replaced them and, once again, I'm having issues. They are operating in 60 and 30 gallon tanks in my basement, where the ambient temperature is about 60 degrees. One is attached to a Jager 300 watt heater and the other to a Finnex 300 watt titanium heater; both controllers set to 84 degrees. Here's my problem: the controllers worked fine for a few weeks and two days ago they began having difficulty maintaining the 84 degree temperature and slowly dropped to 80 degrees. I reset both controllers yesterday by unplugging them and, over the past 24 hours, the temperature has risen to 84 and seems to be holding steady.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? The only variable I can think of is normally I shut the power to the controllers when I do water changes, however, last time I pulled the plug from the heaters themselves. Could that have has any affect on the settings?

Sandy Clay
02-19-2013, 02:42 PM
I had problems right out of the box too. I did not replace mine, just got a refund. There was lot's of talk about them smoking etc....I didn't want to take any chances of a fire or something!

discus6628
02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
I have two hc0810 for over two months. So far so good and keep my finger cross.

DiscusLoverJeff
02-19-2013, 03:49 PM
I believe there have been previous threads regarding this product that were about the same topic, not holding temp. I was thinking of getting these myself until I read the reviews.

One thing I did read about these and other heaters that some might not be aware of. If the heater is not plugged in directly to a wall socket, they will not work to their full potential. Meaning, like most people, they are plugged into a power strip, or they are plugged into a power strip that is plugged into another power strip etc...

I will try and find a post I read last year about aquarium heaters from Jager where the reference from Jager themselves was to always plug into a direct outlet for more accurate results.

When I had my first experience it was on my 95 gallon tank. The heater was not working correctly and only holding about 80 degrees. Even after calibrating it, it still would not work. Then after searching google, I found out about the direct plug in.

Wjmulder
02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
It seems like the problem controllers are the older design 810's. It would be good to know if that is truly the case. I am not aware of any reported problems with the newer max300's. I have had 1 for at least 6-7 months and purchased a 2nd a couple months ago and I love them. I run 150 watt jagers on one of them and the other is controlling a 300 watt hydor inline just for safety.

Poco
02-19-2013, 04:11 PM
I have two 810 running for 8months with no issues so far.

Sandy Clay
02-19-2013, 04:46 PM
The one I got from Ken's, I just ordered about 3 weeks ago. He said he has had numerous complaints.

discus6628
02-19-2013, 04:57 PM
i have 100g and i set it at 86 degree. It works so far consistent at 86. I am not sure about direct plug in. May be the power strip has watt/current regulate on the strip itself. Sometime it may be your outlet also need to be grounded too. May be someone in the forum is electrician could comment on it.