PDA

View Full Version : New Breeding tank

Quinton
02-19-2013, 05:56 PM
So I been on the hunt for a breeding tank for a while, and came across a 29G on ebay. To after winning it, I
went and collected it to discover it actually was a 51G tank. Result I thought.

So Question's are:
Can I get away placing my breeding pair in here and raising the fry with them till a decent age or placing a foat seperator whilst they small and then removing it when they are of size as well as removing the parents?

The other thing leading from the question above, lighting for the tank. How do I set it up? do I go all nice for the fry to grow up in but what do I then do for the breeding size?

Last one, is I read somewhere that an aquariums water needs to be filtered 4 times every hour. Is this true? If so then I know how many sponge filters to pick up.

Quinton

Trier20
02-19-2013, 06:56 PM
So I been on the hunt for a breeding tank for a while, and came across a 29G on ebay. To after winning it, I
went and collected it to discover it actually was a 51G tank. Result I thought.

So Question's are:
Can I get away placing my breeding pair in here and raising the fry with them till a decent age or placing a foat seperator whilst they small and then removing it when they are of size as well as removing the parents?

The other thing leading from the question above, lighting for the tank. How do I set it up? do I go all nice for the fry to grow up in but what do I then do for the breeding size?

Last one, is I read somewhere that an aquariums water needs to be filtered 4 times every hour. Is this true? If so then I know how many sponge filters to pick up.

Quinton

Yea you can use it as a breeder. I would partition it off with some poret foam so once you do get a sucessful hatch attachment is easier. Think of it as putt your change in a bowl at home instead I throwing it in your yard.
Lighting I use one t5 shop light above my breeders and have come to like them better than aquarium lighting.
Filtration I use a sponge filter with air stone one size larger than te aquarium it is in.
Hth.

Quinton
02-20-2013, 02:32 PM
Ok cheers for that. Ill get things all setup for it now.

John_Nicholson
02-20-2013, 04:33 PM
I have a pair that I leave in a 75. I have breed them in tanks as large as a 120. Good pairs don't need small tanks. As I remember the Amazon is slightly larger than 29 gallons....lol.

-john

Quinton
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
This is true. Thanks John. Didn't think of that.

Quinton
02-20-2013, 05:10 PM
This tank being a used tank, whats the best way to sterilise/desinfect it?

discus6628
02-20-2013, 05:15 PM
bleach and clean with Hydrogen Peroxide

bwssr
02-20-2013, 05:19 PM
You were at the amazon? Cool.

John_Nicholson
02-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I use bleach.

-john