PDA

View Full Version : blood worms?

Ghostofgxd
02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
is it ok to feed discus hikari bloodworms everyday? i usually feed flakes in the morning then beefheart and blood worms through out the day(they are young discus). someone told me that they are meant to be just a treat like once a week :S?

lipadj46
02-20-2013, 06:55 PM
Hikari would be the best as they are clean and supplemented. You may find your fish won't eat anything else but bloodworms after a while. But if they still eat their other foods its fine IMO.

sent from an undisclosed location using morse code

Curt
02-20-2013, 06:57 PM
I have been told the same. I only feed bloodworms a couple times a week as a treat. I feed quality pelets 3 times a day, with freeze dried blackworms in the morning, and soon live black worms in the pm to see how they do. I also feed frozen forumla 3 time a week in place of a pelet feeding. Thats just me there will be much debate on this topic i am sure, always is. But feeding to many blood worms can cause constipation an i find they dont eat other food as well after eating them either.

Curt

White Worm
02-20-2013, 07:24 PM
They will get spoiled and it will be hard to get them eating anything else. It becomes an expensive way to go.

-gb-
02-20-2013, 07:36 PM
Blood worms are like feeding you fish candy. IMO they should be avoided.

Ghostofgxd
02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
great feed keep them coming if possible :)

Ghostofgxd
02-20-2013, 08:32 PM
also what kind of pellets do you use?

sammy
02-20-2013, 09:47 PM
I don't think it will ever hurt them - it's claim is that its clean - my fish do get it. I would NOT give it everyday as they will demand it if you ever stop and go on a hunger strike.

Curt
02-20-2013, 11:02 PM
I currently feed sera, and new life spectrum. But am looking at a couple other options will let you know what when i try them.

Ghostofgxd
02-21-2013, 08:32 AM

star rider
02-21-2013, 03:38 PM
I feed mine a mix of food.. Pellets(Tetra colorbit, sera, nls) flake(kens food, I mix color, angel, earthworm),Frozen bloodworm, FDbloodworm, FD black worm.

George001
02-21-2013, 04:35 PM
Yes is is ok to feed the Hiarki bloodworms. The Hikari FD version is way more beneficial than the simple frozen version. Compare both labels, you will see that the FD version as much more protein than the frozen version. I also feed mine a variety of other foods also, because it is true, they can get hooked on bloodworms.

Elliots
02-21-2013, 06:39 PM
I feed 4 Tetra products and some Sera food I have left. I also feed FDBW sometimes. I am not a nutritonist but I like the idea of different foods. NOTE: My fish from Hans, who feeds flake, eat the Tetraflake all the time, whenever I feed it. I bought 4.52 POUNDS from Kens Fish for about $49, no tax and no shipping with an order over $100. You can always find stuff from Kens that you want. I think that approaches the price of fresh beef heat, requires no prep and does not foul the tank.