Ph 6.5
Temp 30

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Warren2308
02-22-2013, 04:51 AM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jdizon20
02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
I used to have that problem. I believe it's brown algae or diatoms. I first tried to buy cleaning crew fish but that just created more waste in my tank. I solved/reduced my brown algae problem by reducing the amount of light I use, increasing the water movement via bigger filter and a circulator. Also watch your nitrates. I also disturb the sand once a week to clean it. It's never been as "white" as new but I've been able to keep mine relatively "white"

ZX10R
02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Brown algae

DiscusBR
02-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Yes, that is brown algae or diatoms and I have had the same problem. I "improved" the situation with some steps. As Jdizon20, I increased water circulation (I use a powerhead). I also use Flourish Excel, which is not only a source of carbon for the plants but can also be used to reduce algae booms. Besides doing frequent WCs to diminish nitrate levels, you have also to check your phosphate and silicate levels. To reduce phosphates, a major source of diatoms, I use Two Little Fishies' PhosBan Reactor. Even after all these measures, once in a while I have to replace some of the sand by new one. It has not been easy to fight these nasties...